Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Trying to Applique.......

I did a Sunbonnet Sue, but it wasn't good enough for a quilt, so I made a needlecase out of it...even though it's rather large for that purpose, I like it. The 9-patch in the patriotic block was machine stitched then appliqued the entire heart to the background. I plan on making a table runner using this as the center. The blocks with hearts is the first of a BOM called Hearts-A-Flutter from SuzGuz Designs. I still need to work on circles, points, and V's but I've enjoyed sitting on the couch and sewing.

SharonG/FL

Comments (5)

• woodenzoo
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    Those look great!
    I've never applique before, but I brought a couple of kits that require a lot of applique and I keep putting off doing them. That picture is inspiration for me to get to it.
    TFS
    Cathy

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Sharon those are great and I think your circles are pretty darn good. What method are you using? I was trying each one and finally decided I had the best results using the glue stick on the turn under edges.

Friday I lost my mouse! I am making a tote with appliques on it...some good...some not so good. One side I had done some flowers and a little mouse. I wasn't happy with the mouse, so took it off and did another one, there is 6 pieces to this little guy. I had everything prepared to sew him onto my bag. I volunteer at our Hospital gift shop Friday afternoons, so take a little project with me to work on, this day my mouse. Well it was an eventful afternoon, including a fire drill and I didn't get anything done. Last night I decided to do my mouse and he's gone! I must have left him in the gift shop somewhere, so now I'll have to wait all week.

I can hardly wait for our class to start this week. I have my list of questions all ready, and I'm sure that many of my problems will get solved.

Keep up the good work.
    Jean

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Cathy. I used various techniques to see what worked best for me. As you can see, I need to work on getting the stars more precise and the point of the heart. I tried to find a BOM of Sunbonnet Sue to get different patterns for each month, but I couldn't find one, so I ordered the pattern book (which is on sale) and the fusible that goes with it from the Quilt In A Day site. I ended up making the circles by making a yo-yo and then sewing it down. @:) Is that cheating??????

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, Jean, I didn't see your reply before I answered.

On the big heart with the half circles, I machine stitched 1/4" from the edge and that helped to turn it under. I found it also helps to clip those curves. I did use the glue stick to hold the edges down on something...hmmmm, oh, it was the Oriental Sunbonnet Sue....I'm not finished with that one....gotta do her shoes/feet and not sure how I want to do it! I'm not happy with this one's shoes so will need to watch it for the next one. The glue did seem to give it a nice finish, but I like using the back basting technique, too.

I've been looking thru a Hawaiian Quilting book I have and think I'll get one of those blocks started....maybe. Some of them look really hard!

If you get RFDTV, Eleanor Burns is doing an applique series now. She did the first one last week on Wednesday.

Hope you find your mouse.....I hate it when I get a bunch of pieces cut out and then can't find them!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a couple more attempts......

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES