Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

2007 Weight Loss Plan????

I noticed that on the resolution thread in discussions there were some who listed wanting to lose a few pounds. We've had the weekly posting going here about the challenge and support, but not many participated in keeping it going.....it could be because of the time of year it was, but now that it's the New Year, it's time to buckle down and get sincere about getting the weight off, if it's truly our desire. I'm under doc's orders to lose weight.

I'm doing the South Beach plan and so far, it's been easy for me to do and still cook for DH. For the last 2 weeks, with all the holiday get-togethers, I did a modified Phase 2. I haven't lost anymore weight but I haven't gained either. It's my plan to at least maintain through the holidays and then go back on Phase 1 for a week. I weigh in on Monday morning and again Thursday morning to see how I'm doing.

I know I should walk more, but I haven't.....it's a beautiful day here today, so maybe I'll take a little jaunt down the road. @:)

SharonG/FL

Comments (25)

• grammyp
    17 years ago

I do plan to get back on the bandwagon starting Monday. I plan to start the diet/exercise back this week. Since I do the prayer/blessing threads on Sunday, I think I will just do all of them at the same time. Nothing really stressfull, just challenges, probably monthly new ones and weekly encouragements. Remember it takes 14-21 days to form a new habit, so monthly challenges will give everyont time to have their new habits fully in place before starting a new one. I find it very stressfull to try and alter my life completely at one time.

Keep up the good work Sharon, the hardest season of dieting is now past you and you have a whole year to prepare for the next one.

beverly

• scraphappy
    17 years ago

I do have definite goals to lose some weight - at least I haven't gained any during all these weeks of just eating whatever I wanted - it's been a little stressful here, and I gave myself permission to not put any unrealistic demands or restrictions on my eating - but still watched somewhat what I ate - and I am ok for the moment with just not gaining. Now, as the New Year starts, I am strongly motivated to lose a little - it will help my GERD alot, plus health in general. So - drinking more water, eating smaller, more frequent meals, more fruits and veggies, more time on the treadmill, and I know it will happen!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beverly, That sounds good to me. I find it's difficult to try and change more than one or two things in my life at the same time at this point in time. I used to be excellent at multi-tasking....but, no more.

Scraphappy, Good job on maintaining! Were the results of your endoscopy as you expected? I'm thinking losing weight might help me in the reflux area, eh? Hopefully, with enough weight loss I can also stop taking high bp and high cholesterol meds, too. Then I can use that $$$ to buy fabric!!! yeaaaa

SharonG/FL

• scraphappy
    17 years ago

Thanks for asking - the endoscopy was ok - no further damage. He has me on an "every 2 years" plan, so I guess I'm ok (already have damage to esophagus, but hopefully meds I'm taking will continue to help). I KNOW if there is less tummy fat, it will help this. Weight loss seems to be something alot of us struggle with, isn't it? I'm technically "obese" on BMI scale, but just a few pounds (20 or so) and I would only be "overweight" and that's my goal. So hard to get motivated sometimes, and I tend to rationalize that "ok, I don't look too bad - alot are heavier, and most of my clothes fit" but health will be a bigger motivator than appearance!!

• lots2do
    17 years ago

Scraphappy-I must have missed your health news. I'm glad that the results were alright.

I see my doctor in two days and I know that she is going to give me doctor's orders too. I have put on weight this month. Now I'm trying to keep my hands busy with quilting/knitting etc. instead of reaching for something unnecessary to eat. I've decided that there is clutter all around me and literally, not just in my house but also surrounding my body! Must do something about this...

Kelly (NH)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh brother, I don't even want to talk about 'obese'! And that's according to the insurance standards?? I'm 4'10" and 66 years old.....no way do I want to weigh in at 100 pounds.....do you know how many wrinkles the fat in my skin is covering up? I'll bet it's a ton! lol Guess I'll be overweight, too, but with less weight than I have now. @:)

Kelly, Make a decision to just do one thing this week about your 'clutter' and work on that. Baby steps work wonders.....
    SharonG/FL

• mirren
    17 years ago

Count me in for trying to lose weight this year. I am the heaviest I have ever been. I will be rejoining Weight Watchers this month. This will be at least the 23rd time.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mirren, Welcome to the 'club' and good luck in losing weight this year. As you can see, Beverly puts up a weekly thread for support and encouragement...and don't we all need that!!!

I'm a lifetime WW but it's been a long time and the 'rules' have changed greatly since that time. I think the last time I went to meetings was almost 6 years ago.
    SharonG/FL

• easystitches
    17 years ago

Count me in. I started Tues(of course)
    The week has actually gone pretty well.
    I was going to do WW, but I think with working & everything else I'm going to use the community pages
    at WW & not do the meetings right now (I'll see how that goes)
    I'm not that keen on the points system & I think just journaling alone is helpful.
    The internet is certainly full of recipes, tonite we had
    talapia with spices & tomato paste, onions & peppers, baked & then broiled at the end, not bad.
    Carbs are my weakness & I just don't think I'm up to the
    SB plan right now, but I did lose weight quickly on it.
    So good luck everyone & I'll be checking in too,
    Jill

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jill, Congratz on your decision to lose weight. I think if we are true to our own selves, whatever plan we use, it will work. The WW meetings didn't do anything for me, but they do for others, so that's what they should do. If journaling is helpful to you, then that's what you need to do.

I think we all have the basic knowledge of what's good for us (lots of veggies, lean meat, some dairy and fruit, easy on the carbs and fat) but we just need to put it to use in our lives.

Lose every overweight pound and rejoice daily.

SharonG/FL

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Ok...I don't know if this will help me or not...but I have quite a bit (ok..I'll fess up.... I have 70 pounds to get rid of), and I'd like to lose a reasonable amount (2 - 3 pounds a week) and at least get myself somewhat looking better before I go to CA in March.

My willpower is that of a marshmallow....

What is your guy's plan as far as utilizing this website, or did I miss something....or are you just going to post here? I intend to start AFTER tonight (epiphany is celebrated in Hispanic households and I just want to have my daughter learn half of her heritage...and I admit, I love flan and a good cup of Cuban coffee. :)).

I'm anxious to hear. :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We're all just doing our own thing. I started South Beach on Dec 4th and have lost 10 pounds. Not a lot considering what a person normally loses in the first month on this plan, but this was over the holidays and I didn't stress myself out about it for a week or so.....just tried to be careful and not overdo....(homemade cookies and candy). If I did more walking or moving around, I could probably lose more quickly, but I'm lazy most days....some days I'm not. I would like to lose at least 40#'s....maybe 50.

Get a plan, something that's realistic for you and your lifestyle, and do that for a week or two. If you need to, modify that plan. There's nothing worse than setting a goal you know you'll fail getting to. Beverly has a thread she posts weekly for us. She's our inspiration.

Laying off the 2-4 slices of daily bread, rice and pasta was a big thing for me. I'm now in the phase where I can have it again and find that I don't care if I have it or not!

We can do it if we have a mind-set to do so! I really think we have to be in the right frame of mind, or something, for us to stick with it. This isn't an easy road, but we're tough, right?????!!!!! YES WE ARE!!! Are we going to let whatever it is that makes us eat more than we need, and to eat the foods that are not best for our 'temple' dictate to us????? I need to control what goes into my body....wow, talk about power!

Good luck, michigoose, and keep posting....we want to hear how you're doing.

SharonG/FL

• nanciii
    17 years ago

Well its time for me to jump on this band wagon too. I did Weight Watchers a few yrs back and it took 4 months to lose the 16 pounds I lost. Bought all new clothes and now they are TIGHT. I aint buying no more. I only want to be a size 12 again anything les I would look dead.
    I still get the email from WW I just need to read them. lol the meetings did help too. But I have all the book so I think I will start there. I also need to get off this chair and start walking. So Monday is my start date.

Nanciii

• amcfeely
    17 years ago

Okay I am back. I have gained back 5 of the 19lbs I lost in the fall. So I need to get back on track.

On a good note, I just had my blood work redone and my my triglycerides are down from 305 to 248. And my overall cholesteral is down like 8 points. Not alot but it's an improvement. My triglycerides need to be below 150. The doc said exercise 30 minutes a day 5 times a week. And eat a low fat diet. So we are starting that this week.

I will check back in and let everyone know how I'm doing.

Amy

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancii, WW is good if you already have all the info and know what to do. Getting started is half the battle so you're off to a good start! Soon your clothes will fit just like they did when you bought them!

Amy, Congratz on your blood work report. Beverly has us moving for 30 minutes a day......any kind of movement....I even went out and threw around a basketball with the DGD for a few minutes this afternoon! Every little bit helps!

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Got room on the weight loss bandwagon for me? I need to lose a lot also - 50 lbs. or more. It's a wonder I don't have diabetes and HBP at my age, but I don't....yet.

New Year's Day I slipped on mud and wet grass and fell in my neighbor's side yard. The fall wasn't too bad, but I twisted my knee I guess. It's been hurting all week. That is when I knew I needed to get serious about losing weight.

I lost about 6 lbs. in two days, but it was all water loss I know. I'm trying to cut back on carbs, especially bread and eat small meals and snacks regularly to keep my blood sugar level on an even keel.

Until my knee feels a lot better, I can only manage to walk the dog. I did do some lifts with my arms as I was carrying in the groceries tonight. Good thing it was dark and no one could see me.

Try the herbal tea I posted to help you meet your water requirements.

Teresa

• grammyp
    17 years ago

Nanciii WW is really good. I prefer the old program (not the points system) and that is pretty much what we go by. Close to the 1200 calorie diabetic diet.

Amy, I am so glad your triglycerides are on their way down. Slow but sure is still the best way. I would much rather use diet and exercise than take a bunch of pills. No matter how safe they are supposed to be.

Welcome to our little group Teresa, glad you jumped on the wagon. Lifting your groceries is perfectly fine exercise, bending to pick them up when the plastic bag splits is too. That is my specialty. I think I will try some of your tea tomorrow. I need something new to drink.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Teresa, Welcome to the 'club'...losing water first is where we all start, so you're on your way! I'm off to check out your herbal tea.....I get so tired of drinking water. Hope your knee feels better....

Beverly, "Lifting your groceries is perfectly fine exercise, bending to pick them up when the plastic bag splits is too." LOLOLOL That reminded me of when I would help my girls organize their clothes in their dresser drawers. I told them to put the things they use all the time in the bottom drawers so they would have to bend over and would be exercising more.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    17 years ago

Hi, ladies - I need to get on this bandwagon, too! A few years ago I was on WW with a goal of 30 lbs. I got to about 28-1/2 - I was feeling great, I fit in all my old clothes,etc. - then I started to find a balance to maintain and not keep losing (as they recommend). Well, I fell completely off the wagon and I now weigh more than I did the first time! Rats. I know I can do it b/c I did it before, and let me tell you, the self-esteem is in the dumps. None of my clothes fit and the last several garments I've made for myself don't fit either, which is even more depressing. I think I've aquired a really weird shape or something! Anyway, maybe with some encouragement from my online quilting buddies I can get going again.

Kelly, you've certainly had a good reason to put on a few pounds! Hopefully life will get back in a rhythm and that will help.

Teresa, I fell back in Oct. when we were in DC visiting my sister. I twisted my left ankle (the cause of the fall) and landed on my right knee. It took weeks and weeks for the pain to finally go away. I hope your knee feels better soon!

Donna

• vasu_texas
    17 years ago

Me too. This is my 40th year (Will turn 40 in Nov 2007) and I really want to get back in shape. DS#2 is almost 3 years old and I still haven't lost weight after the pregnancy. It's been much harder this time compared to my first pregnancy 11 years ago.

I am short (5'2") and small built and I really look like a ball right now :-(. I'm not officially overweight according to the doctor's chart but I know I am because I just don't feel good at all. My goal is to lose 15 lbs before Nov. I've had a hard time losing any weight at all for the last 2 years.

Here is what I've started since new year: Watch everything I eat. NO JUNK FOOD. Cut carbs and increase protien(very hard since I'm vegeterian). I'm also exercising atleast 4 days a week - weights, toning, aerobics.

I got my whole family to help me this time. DS#1 does toning exercise with me. DS#2 likes to dance with the aerobics (very funny!). DH "reminds" me to exercise if I'm too lazy or if I open the bag of chips to snack :) He is also trying some creative recipes to work in more protiens in a veggie diet.

So far in 10 days I've lost just over a pound. Will keep you updated. I feel good reading about your success stories.

Vasu

• grammyp
    17 years ago

Keep up the good work Vasu. When I started I didn't lose any weight for the first 3-4 weeks, but I did get smaller, then the weight loss started. Muscle weighs more than fat, but is denser, so you burn fat, built muscle and get smaller, but don't lose weight. After a while the muscle just gets stronger and the weight loss starts. If you lose weight slowly, you are more likely to keep it off longer.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donna, Yes, you can do it again! All it takes is a bit of determination and then your clothes will fit again. Wierd shape????? Reminds me of when my pastor's wife saw a change in her shape and found out she was 7 months pregnant!

Vasu, With your whole family on the look-out for you, you'll get that 15#'s off in no time.

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

I'm pretty pleased with my progress this week: 7 lbs. lost this week - mostly water. But I have done better about portion size and I am curbing my bread and cheese consumption. I "treated" myself to a red bell pepper and a basket of grape tomatoes when I grocery shopped Wed. night. You might think that a weird "treat" but my budget doesn't often allow for those expensive foods. They are part of my snack supplies, also dry roasted peanuts, Gala apples, small naval oranges, and 4 saltine crackers with peanut butter.

The twisted knee is better at times, but not when I have to do a lot of stairs during a working day.

Stay strong, everyone!
    Teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Teresa, Great weight loss!! I'm with you on the expense of some of those veggies! And, you were right to treat yourself to them! I did the same thing a week ago with the grape tomatoes. DH planted some cherry tomatoes this week, so we'll see how many we get....nothing like fresh off the vine maters.

Stay off the stairs so your knee will heal!!!!

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    17 years ago

Great job Teresa! Good selections for your snacks too. Nuts are really good for you in small amounts. I just love the grape tomatoes, and you can eat lots of them. My mom saved some seeds and grows them. Lots of them. I grow the Sweet 100's and get LOTS of them, but they don't taste quite as good. You are right Sharon, nothing beats a good home grown mater.

beverly

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville