Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Introducing Miss Raina

She was officially born at 8:39am. They partially birthed her to put in the ventilator and IV around 8:10. Julie had to have general anesthesia, so Nick wasn't able to be in with them. There were at least 30 people waiting in the adjoining room to work on Raina. Julie is doing ok although Nick hasn't been called to the recovery room yet. The baby is doing as well as can be expected and the doc said, under the circumstances, she couldn't ask for things to have gone any smoother. They are very concerned about undeveloped lungs because the heart was enlarged and pushed against them, not allowing them to mature. Surgery is being done at this time, and the doc said things are 'rocky' although her bp has come up and is better.

The pediatric cardiologist took pictures for them and Nick has seen them but Julie hasn't yet. We are not looking at them until Julie does. Nick says she has lots of black hair. Salijo and I are chomping at the bit to see those pictures!!!!!!

SharonG/FL-IN

Please keep praying.....

Comments (21)

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

I've been thinking of you all all day! THanks for the update. Sounds like things are going as well as can be expected.

Keep us posted and keep positive thoughts flowing through that hospital!!

• day2day
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update. Seems like good news. Keep us posted.
    ~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We just heard that the valve they were concerned about possibly having to replace is ok!!! She is on an Ec-Mo machine, which is basically a small heart/lung machine. I'll get to actually see her in about an hour! The pictures I've seen show she has tons of black hair and of course, just beautiful! @:)

The condition Raina has is called Aortic-Left Ventricular Tunnel(ALVT).

Thank you for prayers...

SharonG/FL-IN

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

YEAH!!! You go Raina, You GO GIRL!!!

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

Prayers for you all and God bless baby Raina.

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Happy, happy, joy, joy! I am so glad things are better than feared. Give everyone a big hug and how about a picture.

((hugs and prayers))
    beverly

• polardream
    15 years ago

Sharon,
    I am so happy that things are better than you anticipated. I will continue to keep you ALL in my prayers! I know that you have all been so worried. When you get the chance, give that baby a hug from ALL of us!
    Sue

• day2day
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see the pictures of Raina! I'm so glad things are looking good. Hugs and prayers for all of you.
    ~Geraldine

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Happy prayers and best wishes for good health!

Hoping for an update when you can give us one. I'm sure this is a scary and stressful time, although joyful too. You must all be worn out.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's scary for sure. Her little face is so delicate and dainty.....I just want to pick her up and hold her close and make everything that's wrong go away. Little Raina is still in need of a lot of prayer.

Nov 10, 2008

8:10pm - Doctor was just in. The doctors he had conferred with told him what he is doing will never work! He said how do we know unless we try. It will probably be Friday before they start weaning her off the machine to see if her heart will work on itÂs own. He said if this was an adult, or even an older child, the heart probably would not recover, but that a newborn is different and he has patients walking around today that, as newborns, had hearts as bad as hers although not with this particular problem. He said we have to wait and see and pray that her heart recovers.

November 11, 2008

7am - lungs are fine but collapsedÂhave to wait for them to expand per doc somebody. She peed her catheter out so they had to put it in again. Sounds like her bladder is working. @:)

Echo today is to measure that the ECMO machine is doing what they want it to do and the numbers are where they want them to be and the heart is mostly empty except for what they have running through it.

11am - Mama Julie came over to see baby Raina and caught dad putting a jigsaw puzzle together here in the waiting room. Actually, he had just come back to the waiting room because they were doing an Echogram on the baby. We haven't gotten the results yet. They have her in a paralyzed state so none of the many tubes get disturbed. Also, she has the same pinprick of a mark as her dad does at the top of her ear, where his is. @:)

....more surgery sometime this afternoon. They want to put the decompression line in a better place...???? Also, something about bleeding. Sorry....I can't retain the why's and wherefore's to pass along.

Be very thankful for your healthy children.

SharonG/FL-IN

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pictures are up.....

http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/viewHome.do

If you decide to leave a comment on the guestbook, please put down the state you live in, too. State of Confusion doesn't count!

Echogram was this morning so will have an update later on today.

SharonG/FL-IN

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

Sharon,
    Tried to check out the pictures but says I'm not authorized to view them. Any ideas? Would love to see her!

Watching for updates as they are available...Have been thinking of you all a lot.

• gordon43812
    15 years ago

I tried it also, we need the name of the website in order to see it. Keep us posted on little Raina, my prayers and hugs are with you.

• salijo
    15 years ago

Jennifer and gordon43812 I've emailed you privately. If anyone wants to see the website, please email my mother (Sharon G...geezerfolks) or myself for the information.
    Thank you all for your prayers and support. Raina has overcome a lot...two surgeries in her first two days, but she still has a long way to go.
    Salijo

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

Yes, Sally....Got your email.

Raina certainly has a plethora of machines & staff at her beck & call!

Remember to take care of yourselves, too...

• gordon43812
    15 years ago

Such a BEAUTIFUL little one!! And that hair!! I love it! First Peter says "By His stripes, I (Raina) am healed!!" Take care of her and yourselves and keep us posted!
    Linda

• day2day
    15 years ago

She is absolutely beautiful. What a miracle. It makes my heart swell with joy.She looks so contented, even with all the tubes and machines. She's a fighter,that's for sure. Prayers continued.

~Geraldine

• nana24
    15 years ago

You all are in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Sally aka Nana24

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Sharon and Salijo - I'm sure we're all nervous because we haven't heard an update. Hoping and praying that Raina is getting stronger by the hour.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I'm not on here more often, it takes forever on my laptop for GW to load. Anyway, today's echo shows another teensy-weensy improvement, and at this point in time, we're taking all improvements we can get! Momma Julie has been posting an update at the end of the day on Raina's website and has posted another picture. This time, our little sweetheart has a bow in her hair. @:)

SharonG

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Oh a bow in her hair. I will have to quickly scamper over to caring bridge to check the updates. Thinking of you all and thankful for any signs of progress. Hope you are also taking care of yourself and getting sleep, nutrition, fresh air, etc. Deanna