Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristy_seiler

Oh, we're not used to this!!

Vanislegirl88
17 years ago

We got over a foot of snow on the weekend and power has been out since 4am yesterday. Just came back on at 10:30 tonight, but there are still lots of other people in the Greater Victoria area without power still. This is abnormal weather for us. We're lucky if we get any snow in a winter and it's only November! We only have a couple of snow plows so it takes a while for them to get all the roads clear. We were able to make it to work today, but the police were telling people to stay off the roads. Dh is from Calgary, so it wasn't enough snow to stop him and we have a good car. Besides, they had power at work!! When we came home tonight, we make sure we stopped at a restaurant and had a good hot meal. There was only one with power that was open in our area. We didn't mind waiting as it seemed that the whole town was there as well. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Comments (6)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

Oh my! I'm glad you have power now. I hate being without my conveniences. I wish I had kept the old treadle sewing machine I had at one point in time.

Snow!!!! Not for me!!! Cold, snow, ice....big reasons we moved to Florida. But, we had abnormal low temps last week when DD2 and her family was here from Indiana. It did get warmer toward the end of the week and we took the kids to the beach to play. This week, abnormal highs.....go figure.

SharonG/FL

• lots2do
    17 years ago

Your post reminded me that I need to get new winter boots soon! I find it remarkable that we have not had any snow here yet in NH...just one night with a few spits of snow a few weeks back.
    Glad that you were able to find a hot meal in town. I bet the restaurant workers were tired by the end of the night!
    :)Kelly - Lots2do

• Vanislegirl88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, and I don't even own a pair of boots!! LOL. Not suppose to need them here. Funny though...we walked by snow shovels in the store the previous Friday and I said to my DH that maybe we should get one and he said...."don't be silly"....LOL.

• scraphappy
    17 years ago

Snow is predicted here, in Nebraska this week. Funny, yesterday it got up to 61 degrees, and today is down in the teens. I recently read the book "The Children's Blizzard" which happened in January, 1888 - weather was unseasonably warm one day, and a cold front and blowing snow moved in over the Midwest (where we live!) the next afternoon, just as schoolchildren were getting out of school. Over 100 people died - couldn't see in the blowing wind and snow, got disoriented, not enough warm clothes on, etc. The weather here yesterday, and today, made me think of that! I think we're prepared, though. (I REALLY do not like winter!! - at least I'm retired now, and can just stay home).

• true4uca
    17 years ago

I'm from Nanaimo & I'm snow bound as well.We haven't lost power.Haven't been to the fabric since last week & I need batting.sigh.Also I don't have boots,haven't needed them till now.
    Trudy

• Vanislegirl88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, hunker down Trudy....looks like we're in for some more. It's coming down pretty good here...

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022