Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meskauskas

Recipes from the Cookie Swap

meskauskas
17 years ago

I decided that Mary C's recipe for Espresso Biscuts was too good not to share, and I'm thinking that Mary won't mind, so I'm posting it here. If we share all the recipes, we'll have a quilting forum cookie cookbook!

MARY C's ESPRESSO BISCUITS

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa

1 Tablespoon finely ground espresso coffee beans

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

3/4 cup confectioner's sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together flour, cocoa, and espresso, set aside.

Cream together butter, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla until creamy and well combined, about 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually beat in the flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.

Roll 2-1/2 Tablespoons of dough between the palms of your hands to form a ball. Place on baking sheets with cookies spaced 2 inches apart. Using a dinner fork, press tines into dough. Gently press back into a round shape if necessary.

Bake until just firm to the touch, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes about 16 cookies.

MARY'S NOTES:

I use salted butter if that's what I have. It works just fine.

2-1/2 Tablespoons of dough makes a really big cookie. I find these are so rich, that I prefer them smaller. I use a 1-1/2 oz. cookie scoop. It gives me a little over a tablespoon of dough. I get about 2 dozen when I make them this size.

These have become a family favorite over the years. A bonus is that they freeze well, so I can bake them early in the season, and have them whenever they are needed.

CLARA'S NOTES: These cookies are kind of like a shortbread consistency, with a lovely, velvety chocolate/coffee taste. They are perfect alongside a cup of coffee or tea, and very satisfying without being too heavy. YUM!

Comments (3)

• kelly4905
    17 years ago

My espresso-addicted DH will *love* these. Thank you very much for sharing!

Kelly (nebraska)

• mary_c_gw
    17 years ago

And here are Hayden2239's (Michele). I haven't tried them yet, but they sound good.

Excellent Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 C sugar
    1 C Crisco
    3 eggs
    3 C oatmeal
    3 C flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 C liquid*
    1/2 C chocolate chips, pecans, plumped raisins, M&Ms or any combination of these

Mix all together, drop onto greased cookie sheet. Flatten with wet fork if desired.

Bake 8 minutes and 350 degrees.

*Liqud: Plain water, peach juice, or raisin water all work great.

Michele's notes:

These cookies are the ultimate easy. They stay soft and cakelike, freeze like a dream, and can be left plain or frosted.

• laurainsdca
    17 years ago

This is sounding yummmmmy!

I'm going to post my SECRET INGREDIENT fudge recipe. This is not the cookie recipe I sent to my swap-ee, she can post that if she sees fit. Rather, this is a popular fudge recipe called "Remarkable fudge" that you can find lots of places, but I make these two modifications:

1) I decrease the sugar some to cut down on the over-sweetness of some fudge. (Don't worry, the fudge will always set 'cause it includes chocolate chips and marshmallow creme)

2) THIS IS KEY: I add a bunch of unsweetened cocoa powder. This also cuts the sweetness and makes is SO CHOCOLATEY.

Maybe people are just being nice but they all RAVE about "this" fudge:

INGREDIENTS
    1 cup butter
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
    1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
    3 ½ cups white sugar (original recipe calls for 4 cups)
    1/3 cup (roughly) unsweetened cocoa powder (my secret weapon!)
    A bunch of chopped walnuts, if desired.

DIRECTIONS
    1 Line a 13x9 inch baking dish with foil and butter the foil.
    2 In a large pot combine the butter, evaporated milk and sugar. Cook over medium heat for until it reaches medium to firm ball stage. (Original recipe says soft ball stage 112 degrees, but basically I just boil the heck out of it. You can see the consistency change at some point and it balls up fast when dropped in ice waterÂ)
    3. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate cocoa powder and vanilla, then chocolate chips and marshmallow cream. Stir until chocolate chips melt.
    4. "Beat" some with a wooden spoon until it begins to thicken  this step is not critical as I have never had it not set.
    5. Mix in the chopped walnuts if youÂre using then.
    6. Spread mixture into the prepared pan and let it cool.