Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

10-17 diet/exercise

grammyp
17 years ago

Good morning everyone. I'm sorry about being late with the update this week. My GS was sick yesterday and I spent the day rocking him since his mom doesn't have a lap at the moment.

Cold weather is just around the corner, so we need to start looking for indoor methods of getting our 30 minutes of movement. I am fortunate enough to have stairs I have to use to access my laundry room and sewing room. There are 18 steps up and down every time I have to go. I don't think I can do that enough every day, but it certainly will help. I also have a covered front porch I can jump rope on. It is outside, but at least it is covered and dry. We also have a small fitness center at the hospital where DH works. They have spin bikes and offer morning and evening classes so that is a possibility. The recreation center puts a "bubble" over the pool and continues the water arobic classes all winter. If it isn't toooooo cold I can always walk around the neighborhood. If you look around I'm sure you can find other options in your area. Just have to make up your mind what you can do and do it.

It is also easy to over eat in the winter. After all, we get to hide behind bulky clothes and we need more calories to keep warm, right. NOT. As long as we eat a reasonable diet we can not only keep from gaining, we can lose more weight. Just keep your goal in mind when you prepare your meals.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (6)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, Beverly.

I'm not sure how much I can concentrate on this area of my life for a few weeks. I received bad news last night. My uncle (only 2 years older than me) has been on chemo and the cancer has doubled since he started treatment 5 weeks ago. He's stopped everything and will take it a day at a time. He's more like a brother....we double dated, I married his best friend and a year later, he married my best friend from high school...we raised our children together....unfortunately, both of theirs were killed by a drunk driver while in their teens.....all of this still seems so fresh. After losing a sister and brother within the last couple of years.....I think I'm gonna lose it.

Sorry for the downer.........

SharonG/FL

• glassquilt
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of your sorrows. I will keep you in the Light.

• deannabsd
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    Sorry to hear of your uncle. We will keep you in our thoughts.

Winter seems like such a time to gain weight as we hibernate. For six weeks at work from Thanksgiving to the first of the year; we are trying a "Don't be a Hog-battle the bulge" and try not to Gain weight with the patients and staff.

I really try to walk outside in the cold of South Dakota winters and feel I am far better for doing it with colds and everything. Just bundle up warm and wear mittens rather than gloves and keep your head warm and you will find that you don't really need that much for clothing.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharron, I am so sorry to hear about your uncle. I helped with my father-in-law as he battled his cancer. It is a very difficult process. Be sure to take care of yourself and get plenty of rest. If there is anything I can do from across the miles please be sure to let me know. Feel free to e-mail and vent at anytime. It can help and I don't mind. I will keep you all in my prayers. (((hugs)))

Deannabsd, you are brave to walk in the SD winters. I agree it is good for you to keep a regular routine. Welcome to the challenge.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers. I'm in the process of making him a comfort quilt. Hope to have it all together by the end of next week....all other quilts are on hold for now.

SharonG/FL

Beverly, I might just take you up on your offer.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Please feel free Sharon. My computer has been acting up, so sometimes I cannot post here, but I should be able to get to my e-mail. We all understand about the quilts, and I know he will find much comfort in it.

(((hugs)))
    beverly

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!