Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salijo_gw

Baby Raina update

salijo
15 years ago

My son and daughter-in-law went in today for another ultrasound. There is NOTHING wrong with the baby's brain, but her heart has gotten worse. They are going to go for a consult with a surgeon at Riley's Children's Hospital in Indianapolis and will possibly have to undergo in-utero surgery.

My son said the baby is strong with a good strong heartbeat and is very active, so there are high hopes of success.

Thank you all again for your continued prayers.

Salijo

Comments (32)

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I am so happy to hear about the brain ultrasound. I will continue to pray for the heart. Things are looking better. Thanks for the update.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

After what they were told just a few weeks ago, strong heartbeat, very active, no brain problems and no chromosome defect is wonderful to hear! We'll just keep praying about the heart problem.

Sharon/mom (who's really feeling bad about living so far away but realize there isn't anything I could do there that I can't do here....except physically give them hugs.)

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Wonderful news!!!! Isn't it amazing that in-utero sugery can be done?
    Rosa

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

God Bless and good luck with all you are going through.

Geri

• salijo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw a 3-D image of Raina tonight from the ultrasound. She is absolutely adorable! She looks like my son...chubby cheeks and a pug nose. She's a little fighter, I can't wait to meet her!
    Salijo

• nana24
    15 years ago

So glad about the good news. I will continue to say a prayer for you all.

Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

WWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH....I WANT TO SEE!!!!!

Gramma Shazz (which is what the great-grands call me)

• salijo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nick wouldn't give it to me...I told him I could scan it and email it to everyone and then he could have it back, but it was a no-go. He has a scanner and he said he'll get it scanned eventually....Shoot....I wanted to put it on my desktop! It really is a good image and she really is cute. She's got her little hand fisted up under her chin.

Gigi (which is what Gramma Shazz's great-grands call me!)

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

That is so exciting!!!!
    My daughter had complications so she had frequent ultrasound. It is amazing, they look right at you!! My DGD was sucking her thumb in one. I cried when I watched all of them!!!
    I understand how you feel Gramma Shazz.
    Rosa

• nana24
    15 years ago

Thinking of Raina and saying a prayer for you all this morning.

Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

The news we received today was not good. We need a miracle.

• day2day
    15 years ago

Sharon, I am sorry to hear the news isn't good. Baby Raina is having a tough time but she is loved and it sounds like she is a real fighter.You know that we're all thinking about you and praying for you and your family. Keep hope and faith.

~Geraldine

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

Sharon,
    I'm so sorry the news wasn't better. But she's a little bugger and strong! Wishing you all the best and sending my good vibes!

• salijo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The doctors can't figure out the extent of her heart defects because some of what's going on doesn't quite make sense to them, so she is not a candidate for the in-utero surgery. They are probably going to do some type of surgery right after she is born to attempt to fix what they can, but they are suggesting an immediate heart transplant IF she is not stillborn and IF there is a doner heart available, which is unlikely due to the advanced quality of care available for preemies these days...and I refuse to pray for one to be available...I will not pray for the death of one baby in order to save mine.

The doctors have given very little hope for her survival. So.....hope in man is now gone. Hope in God is all that remains, which is when He works best.

Please pray also for my son and his wife as they are beyond terrified and are really feeling slammed by life right now with the losses they've already gone through the past few years.

Salijo

• lindaoh_gw
    15 years ago

Sally, I will continue to pray for your family. I do believe in miracles. Anything is possible when you believe.
    Linda OH

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

We will keep all of you in our prayers. deanna

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Prayers for everyone. We have a D-George that had surgery when she was 1 week old. She is 5 now and still has to have another surgery.
    It is very hard to think of surgery on such a small person.
    Bless you and yours.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Salijo called me awhile ago. Nick and Julie are on their way to Indianapolis. It's very probable that little Raina will be delivered sometime tonight. I'll keep you updated as soon as I'm informed.

Sharon

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

More info: They're going down tonight and her appt is at 8 in the morning. This doc seemed to think they would want to deliver Raina as there is fluid in her lungs and tummy. Can something be done about that in-utero?

Sharon

• day2day
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let you know that I will be thinking about all of you and praying for baby Raina.
    ~Geraldine

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

You are in my prayers also.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

The latest info is: Julie is inpatient and hooked up to monitors, etc. The docs have been in and said they would probably not deliver today, but want to come up with a plan of action. I think they also are going to do an echocardiogram this afternoon. I was told when Julie pressed her tummy to make Raina move, she pushed her little fist out as if to say, "Leave me alone!" Guess she's resting up for the long haul.

My grandson called me awhile ago and said he knew I'd be chomping at the bit to hear any updates even though there aren't any! It was good just to talk to him and hear his voice.

Sharon

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Sharon and all your family,
    I can't imagine what your family is going through and will keep all of you in our prayers. I am not sure that I was very patient during my pregnancies and that was before all the ultra sounds,etc and I can't imagine what it must be like when there are medical concerns. Take care. Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Last nights update: They think by giving Julie steroids over the week-end, it will help Raina's lungs and also put a few more ounces on her. She's about 4 pounds now and they would really like for her to weigh 5, but doubt that will happen. Delivery will be either Monday or Tuesday. After delivery, they will make an assessment as to if they think they can do anything. They can't really see exactly what is causing the problem and will have to examine after delivery. Julie would be 7 months on the 22nd.

I appreciate your prayers and support through this difficult time.

Sharon

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Prayers for everyone. Will you get to go up earlier than planned Sharon? Please keep us posted.

((hugs and prayers))
    beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

One of the nurses made the comment that by looking at the heart monitor, they'd never know something was wrong with her heart.

My flight plans remain the same - I fly out at 2pm tomorrow afternoon. Salijo's other son and his wife (I'll get to see and play with Addison!) will be picking me up and then we'll drive down to the hospital Monday night for family prayer. C-section is scheduled for Tuesday morning at 8:30.

I'll post when I'm able to.

Sharon

• grammyp
    15 years ago

((hugs and prayers)) be safe.

beverly

• polardream
    15 years ago

My prayers are with all of you for a safe trip, safe delivery and good news when that little one arrives.

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

The plans have changed. I think it's a good thing!

The docs got a better visual of Raina's heart today. She isn't any worse and they think they might be able to fix the problem but Julie has to be at least 32 weeks ..... something about the tool they need to use. So, the current plan of action is that Julie is to stay at the hospital for the next two weeks having a scan, or something, done each day to check on the baby and then do the c-section in 2 weeks. Nothing was said about the fluid in her lungs, so I don't know about that.

I've been up for 16 hours, so I'm heading to bed with my 11 year old granddaughter.

Sharon

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I would think this is a good thing, I will pray that it is. Have a good rest.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

The news is: Nick says "the little chunker" weighs 5 pounds now! And, as long as they can find no fluid in Raina and the monitor doesn't show she's in any distress, they are putting delivery off as long as they can so Raina's lungs can develop. No plans for delivery at this time!

The Lord continues to be amazing!

Sharon

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update. Proof prayer does work.

((hugs))
    beverly

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz