Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'What I did on my summer vacation'

Posted by maryliz (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 9:16

Do you remember returning to school and writing an essay about what you did during the summer? Here's what I did:

* Helped hubby design his pole barn. We made it look like a pretty yellow carriage house with white barn doors and black hardware. (We had someone else do all the actual work.)

* Went through my closet and got rid of all the clothes that I don't wear for one reason or another. Donated them to charity. Decluttered the storage closet in the basement, and most of the rest of the house, too.

* Worked in the veggie garden, and on landscaping this place. We are using organic methods to establish a lawn and a wind break. The sand burr population has been decimated.

* Tried a lot of new recipes. My favorite sources are Joy of Cooking (it's a book), allrecipes dot com and America's Test Kitchen, which publishes a magazine and also has a website. (Also see the recipes from forum members.)

* Attended two family reunions.

* Went to the family cottage for a weekend of rest, but ended up doing maintenance! Several things broke down while we were there. At least I got to do a lot of hand sewing during the car ride there and back.

* Attended a fabric dying class.

* Attended a class where we made custom fitted pants patterns for ourselves. All my life (even when I was thin) pants have always had a huge gap at the waist. Now I'll be able to make myself pants that fit!

* To further that goal, I bought a serger: the Husqvarna 936, which can also convert to do the "cover stitch." Took the orientation classes. Now I need to make some time to play with my new toy -- I mean, tool.

* Went to Ikea to get tables and a bookcase for my sewing studio. (The next phase will be free-standing closets for my stash.)

* Completed several hand sewing projects, including a UFO that I hand quilted on and off for years. I'm currently finishing up an embroidered cube that will be a pin cushion.

* Received an invitation to enter a local quilt show. It is not judged. It's just supposed to be for fun.

* Finally went to one of the local quilt guild meetings. Wow, what a great lecture the guest speaker gave. Donated some unused stuff to the "garage sale." Brought home some fabrics to make a charity quilt for the local safe house. I plan to join the guild next year.

~~~

What kind of fun and interesting things did you get to do during your summer? I'd love to hear all about your new adventures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'What I did on my summer vacation'

Maryliz,
You had a busy summer!
I had a busy summer but it mostly consisted of getting to be with my grandchildren. It began in late May with piano and dance recitals and a birthday. Then my GS spent a week. We had gotten a boat (which was a surprise for all the grandchildren)and spent every possible minute with him on the wake board. Then my GD came for her visit of 1 1/2 weeks. We crafted, sewed, cooked and just generally had a good time together. Then my DD and GS came back and they all spent several more days. A couple weeks break and I flew up and picked up my Kansas GD & GS and my daughter and children came back and we had our summer get together of cousins. We had a 10 yr old, two 7 year olds and a 5 year old for 10 days. During that time my sister brought her three grands for 3 of those days. It was quite a fun time but this nana was tired when I flew home with the Kansas kids. It will be a little easier when they can fly by themselves. Technically, the airlines said they could this time but Papa said not yet.
Now they are all in school so I won't get to see them much. We have to make the best of our time.
I didn't get a lot of things done but we sure made a lot of memories!!

Sally

o
RE: 'What I did on my summer vacation'

Oh, what a wonderful summer you had, Sally! Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here