Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironkit

school interferring with my real life

ironkit
17 years ago

I'm a bit out of sorts. I haven't touched my machine (or any of my quilts) for about a week and a half.

I started classes on Monday, and I don't think I'll be getting to quilt anytime soon with all of the "optional" homework I'm getting.

All of you that have done any sort of school (especially grad!!), I am in awe that you could still quilt while going to school.

I will admit, however, that today in my math class when we were graphing 3D stuff I kept thinking "Can I do something like that with a quilt block???"

~ Kit

Comments (14)

• grammyp
    17 years ago

I do understand completely Kit. I have not gone to graduate school, but DH has and it wasn't fun. His hobbies are not as portable as mine (hiking, fishing and hunting are hard to de between classes). Perhaps a small portable project would help. You can slip it in your backpack and get a stitch or two between classes or at lunch. Perhaps you can try a new technique for a change of pace. Redwork is easy to pick up and put down and takes up very little room. YoYos and GFG are easy and don't require carying a book or pattern around. Who knows, perhaps some of your teachers are also quilters. As for the 3D stuff, yes, you can put that on a quilt (I can't but you probably could).

I know it may not seem real to you now. But you will have less time after you graduate than you do now. I didn't believe it when I was in school, but it is true. It is sad, but I got away from a lot of the things I loved while I was in school, but now I can re-visit them and enjoy them even more.

beverly

• ironkit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, but after I graduate, I'll not have to worry about bringing home work. ;-)

I've been bringing my knitting to class these last two days and that's a brightener. Maybe if I get my knitting fix at school, I'll be ready to quilt.

Thanks for the compassion. :)

~ Kit

• grammyp
    17 years ago

You are most welcome Kit. This is just a short part of your life. Enjoy what it has to offer and try not to worry about what you are missing.

((hugs))
    beverly

• auntkk
    17 years ago

Hi Kit,
    I'm a grad student too. From the beginning of June until the second week in August, I only had time to open the door to my studio and apologize to my machine and fabrics that I was ignoring them. I pulled 3 intense classes this summer, and 8-10 hour days all summer to get through. But, since then I've made 3 wall hangings, started back on my celtic knot quilt, and I'm starting a bed quilt this week. Fortunately I only have one class this semester! I hate quilt withdrawl! You're lucky you can knit. That must help a lot. But, getting my graduate degree is a lifelong dream, so I honestly can't complain too much.

• ddavisgray
    17 years ago

Kit, yes I too know how you feel. I didn't go to graduate school, but started College late in life. My Children were ages 12, 13, & 14. We owned a busy business together (DH & I) I also sewed at home to suppliment our income and because it one of my loves.

I was 34 when I went back to school, I took a pretty full course load, (18 hours),each semester. I was able to pack my classes into the first half of the day, and would rush home, 35 miles away, to relieve our part-time office worker. Everything else, ballgames, track meets, band recitals, etc, was packed into what remained. And homework, lots and lots of homework!!

I always had some handwork with me for those times I could sit down (sometimes during lectures). Strangely enough, I turned out a lot of embroidery, cross stitch, and handmade christmas, birthday & baby gifts. I have no idea how I did it or where all that energy came from.

I did graduate with honors though.

Looking back, I had so much fun, and so much energy!!

IMHO, if you love it, you make a way to do it.

doris

• lots2do
    17 years ago

Boy, Kit, I can identify!

My school job started yesterday. One grad. class starts on 9/11 and the other one has not been scheduled yet. I just downloaded the course description for the first and it does look intense but very interesting. I will have to scope out the conditions and teacher before I think about bringing handwork with me...After my summer institute ended after 5 weeks, I got into the habit of tracing and cutting out hexagons each morning. It was like my Zen time and I hope to be able to squeeze out that time somehow now too.

Well, have to start my day. My classroom awaits!

Take care,
    Kelly - Lots2do

• lots2do
    17 years ago

Just checking in.
    Had a great first day with my new kids yesterday. I inherited a newer, bigger classroom for this year and it is so nice to have lots of space, a cubby for each child and our OWN bathroom!

The kids were cute, enthusiastic and appear to be a group that will really 'gel'.

But...I am aching to do some sewing! My hexagons are practically yelling at me! This weekend I'll be satisfying that need, for sure!

Take care,
    Kelly - Lots2do

• ironkit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Glad to hear that the first day was good for you, Kelly.

I remember when I wasn't in classes that didn't 'gel' and how miserable that was, so it's great to hear that you've got a class that probably will!

~ Kit

• lots2do
    17 years ago

I hope things are going better for you Kit!
    I hope you've been able to work on some sewing!
    Kelly

• csackett
    17 years ago

Kelly,
    I teach, also. I try to keep something at school that I can work on during my 30 minute lunch break. I gulp down my food and work 15-20 minutes on some small project. I'm working on my cathedral window at school. I'd like to see how much I get down in a school year. During the winter I knit or crochet during lunch. It's surprising how much you can get done is a few weeks. I even taught a jr. high boy to knit during summer school. He's learned to crochet now, too. This year I have his older brother in high school. The other day in class I was going to lunch with my ruching project. The older brother stopped me and said you must be the lady that taught my younger brother how to knit. Now he's a sissy. I don't think he's a sissy by any means. I am proud that he has continued to work on his crafting. We all need an outlet. Carolyn

• csackett
    17 years ago

Kelly,
    I teach, also. I try to keep something at school that I can work on during my 30 minute lunch break. I gulp down my food and work 15-20 minutes on some small project. I'm working on my cathedral window at school. I'd like to see how much I get down in a school year. During the winter I knit or crochet during lunch. It's surprising how much you can get done is a few weeks. I even taught a jr. high boy to knit during summer school. He's learned to crochet now, too. This year I have his older brother in high school. The other day in class I was going to lunch with my ruching project. The older brother stopped me and said you must be the lady that taught my younger brother how to knit. Now he's a sissy. I don't think he's a sissy by any means. I am proud that he has continued to work on his crafting. We all need an outlet. Carolyn

• lots2do
    17 years ago

Hi Carolyn,
    I have thought about taking something in. I brought some guild projects home from this month's meeting and thought that I could bring them into school - yoyo Christmas trees. I was thinking that having something to work on would cut down on my eating too! I am planning on doing a simple quilt project with my class this year and am looking for good children's books that feature quilting to 'tie' it all together. Long, long ago, when I was a young kindergarten teacher, I was knitting during bus time and a cranky custodian yelled at me for wasting the taxpayers' money. It really shook me up and stuck with me. But I do work hard and lunch time should be my own so I will definitely find something not too hard to bring in with me!
    Thank you,
    Kelly

• rosajoe_gw
    17 years ago

Carolyn,
    I am so glad you took the time to teach a relaxing form of art to a teen. The older boy must not be aware of the fact that knitting came from the MEN making fish nets. I hope the younger boy ignores his brother.
    Kit,
    I am 53 years old, the oldest of 6 females in a rural area. I wanted to go to college but my father said it was a waste of time, women will only get married and raise a family, plus we did not have the money.
    Married out of hi and moved to Miami,FL started working for Southern Bell (my husband did not want me to work but we needed the money). SB had tuition programs and my husband would always be very late coming home on the night of my classes so I dropped out. We stayed married 8 horrible years, when my children were in their teens and we were in counseling the counselor told me that my compulsion for education was my positive way of getting even with the men in my life.
    I have a MA in Computer Science and I just received my second MA in Teaching with Technology yesterday. I have taken enough misc classes that I could probable have a third MA, I love education and I volunteer for Adult Literacy and tutor Algebra at the hi.
    It is hard to fit hobbies in with taking classes, but it made me enjoy my hobbies that much more in between classes.
    You are achieving something that will boost you confidence so much and you will always be able to 'take care' of yourself regardless what life brings.
    Hang in there, it is worth it.
    Rosa

• lots2do
    17 years ago

Wow, Rosa, what a great story...and you should be very proud of your accomplishments!
    Kelly

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm