Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't wait for our Florida trip!

Posted by grammyp (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 8, 06 at 21:59

Started packing today for our week in Florida. The beaches have not been restored since Ivan and Katrina yet. They had to stop work this year because of the turtles laying eggs. Here are pics from our last trip (in 04). I understand the water's edge is now near the sand fence behind the blue umbrellas. These were taken in June, the height of the season. Man, were the beaches crowded. This was one of the busiest years we had seen.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

View from our balcony. The fishing pier is now closed because half of it collapsed in the hurricanes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

View up the road towards Pensacola Beach. You can see the water of the sound just above the roofs near the water tower. That is were we go sailing.

Many of the individual houses have been removed and not replaced yet. I hope things are getting better. I'll post new pics when we get back on the 19th. The Condo is supposed to have internet, but I'm not sure. I may be able to keep in touch while we are there.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Navarre Beach

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't wait for our Florida trip!

beverly,
it'd be interesting if you could take the same pictures from the same place/perspective. Then a true comparison could be made.

Have a great trip!

o

We tried to get the same place, but has not re-opened yet. I may can go on the stair well and get close to the same shot if they will let me. Our unit will be much higher and closer to the bridge.

beverly

o

Hope you have a super time! Looks might pretty there. Nothing quite as gorgeous as the color of Florida's waters.

DH and I stayed in Pensacola one year, enjoyed Big Lagoon and Gulf Shores, but I think I heard that they just about disappeared. We also took the ferry from Fort Morgan to Dauphne Island, but can't remember why we did that! While in Pensacola, we really enjoyed a small Civil War museum downtown, and of course, the Naval Air Station.

Have a great time, and what wonderful sailing weather you will be having! Looking forward to your pictures and report.

Mel

o

Beverly, have a wonderful trip! I love the water in the panhandle area - it looks like the Caribbean.

So you're looking forward to coming to FL and I'm looking forward to getting out! HA! We leave on our cruise a week from Sunday, the day after my birthday. I'm SOOOO ready for a vacation - just need a change of scenery and routine. Plus we're going with our really good friends who moved to Richmond about 8 years ago, so it will be great to get to spend some time with them.

I'm looking forward to your pictures!

Donna

o

Have fun Donna. I think a cruise is the perfect way to re-connect with old friends. They make nice family reunions too. You don't have to do a thing but have fun. Enjoy your trip.

beverly

o

I've been on one cruise and I loved it. What a great idea for a reunion. Everybody together but with enough room for some private time.

o

Just bring some cold weather when you come! Temps have been hovering near 100F for the last week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here