Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT - First day on the job

Posted by glassquilt (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 14, 06 at 18:29

Today was my first day of training. The woman training me has been working there for two years. The boss wanted her to do the training because he feels that she knows her stuff. Hopefully shell have me independent by the end of the week. She will be a starting her senior year next week.

Im a cashier and as such must stay at the register. Thats the bad news- cant leave without getting someone to cover. Now the good news I can do anything between customers. My trainer does homework. Guess what Ill be doing. Give up? A Grandmothers Flower Garden. How great is that?! Ive have already cut templates from my yogurt tops and started cutting the fabric. Did that last night for something to do during break. Lots of simple repetitious pieces that I can easily put down. I'm so excited. I get to talk to people other than DH, the dog & the cat. Best of all it's like getting paid for quilting!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT - First day on the job

wow! that sounds like an awesome set up there! Glad you liked your first day! You'll be getting those customers checked out in a flash, so you'll get more sewing time! LOL
Lisa

o

That's great!! You get your cake and eat it too!!!

That's the kind of job I need to be doing.

I am so glad your first day went so well.

I hope each day gets better and better.

There is nothing like expanding your vocabulary and having fun at it too.

Have fun
doris

o

What a great idea! I love making those Grandmother's Flower Garden flowers! It's great that they allow their salespeople to fill up the lag time...wouldn't it be tough if you had to just sit there?
Continued good luck with the job!
Kelly :)

o

Sounds like an ideal situation to me!! Hope the job goes well!

o

Can you sit down between customers or do you have to stand the whole time?? Sounds like a great job.Congratulations and good luck.
Kathi

o

I am glad your first day went well!
Red

o

Wow, now THAT's what I call a job perk! Congratulations on a great first day.
Clara

o

Yes! There is a stool! I don't think I could stand for 5 hours. I haven't been on my feet like that since last year and at our store I was walking around doing things. That is so much easier than standing in one spot.

o

Mary, That is so great to hear about you enjoying your first day. It sounds to be a very relaxing and fun job for you. Needless to say, the quilting part sure makes for a fun part of the day and getting paid for it, to boot!

o

Sounds like you're off to a good start! I wish DH could find someone like you for his store. They can only afford part-time people, and in the Orlando area it's really hard to get part-timers who have any kind of commitment. He's had a lot of turnover lately.

Donna

o

I hope the rest of the week has gone well too. Sounds like a wonderful job, as long as you can get 15 minutes betweek customers.

beverly

o

Glass it's the perfect job! Well done and good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here