Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

8-28 diet/exercise update challenge

grammyp
17 years ago

OK everyone, fess up. How are you doing? We should all be getting our 30 minutes of exercise/movement, watching our junk food weakenss and eating regular meals. I must confess I haven't done well on the regular meals this week. Had to sit at the hospital most of the week (DH uncle had 4 bypasses) and just couldn't manage regular meals, but I did manage to avoid the junk foods. We are up to 26 mile bike rides (my mom said we obsess over the rides) and are still enjoying them. I think I have lost the 3 pounds I put on over vacation but won't weigh till Wed.

The new challenge will be to avoid eating before bedtime. This one will be hard for me. I do love my popcorn before bed, but this is not a good time to be eating. So, after dinner, when the dishes are all washed up, turn off the light and close the kitchen. After an evening of not eating, breakfast will be even more important. Be sure and have a good breakfast every morning.

Keep up the other challenges, and remember it takes 2 weeks of hard work to make these challenges become habits.

Good luck everone, Keep us posted.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• jennifer_in_va
    17 years ago

I'll be the first to confess! I've not been doing too good at any of it. I've not been walking the dog as I'd like too...but yesterday I did spend 35 minutes walking the vacuum cleaner and working up a sweat, so I guess that counts!

Snacking goes up and down for me...Yesterday I found soft baked chocolate chunk cookies to die for! They'll probably be gone today though so maybe tomorrow will be better! LOL

I'll try to do better...promise!

• scraphappy
    17 years ago

I too have been slipping - I do okay staying away from junk food, eating healthy, but sometimes it's just HARD! I have a goal in mind however, and I plan to keep trying. At least I haven't gained any weight since we started this!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK Jennifer, back on the wagon. It is hard, but the extra healthy years will be worth it.

Keep that goal in mind scraphappy. You will get there. Having a goal can be a wonderful aid for motivation.

Come on everyone else, how are you doing???

beverly

• amcfeely
    17 years ago

Okay I haven't posted in awhile. I have been so busy I have only been posting what is absolutely nessasary to get by with. But I am checking in now. I have been doing okay. I am moving. I wouldn't say 30 minutes of a specific exersice but I am moving. With Hunter in football, I hardly sit down for his 1 1/2 to 2 hour practices 3 days a week and then I am on the field every saturday during the game which is 1 /12 hours plus the hour for warm ups before the game starts. Oh yeah don't forget we are in south Texas and it has been in the high 90's and 100's everyday since football started. I am the team manager and the side line mom so I am on the move all the time. So there is my weeks worth of 30 minutes plus more, that does not include the anything extra I might do on the side, which we do, my husband has been wanting to take walks on the weekend mornings or evening if it is cool enough. So exersice I am getting.

Meals- I eat when I can, I try to have 3 a day or grab a slim fast for the vitamins instead of a burger or fastfood. I don't buy junk food anymore, I don't buy kool-aid or soda's. My son can't have any sugar drinks during the whole football season, team rule so I don't buy it. My husband does but only for himself and he buys stuff he knows I don't like, and leaves it in the garage where I don't go alot. I eat alot of salads, and have switched to whole grain pasta's, cholesterol lowering butters, whole grain breads, add wheat germ to stuff, 1 % milk, no-fat dairy on everything else. I even add whole wheat flour now to recipes, I usually do half and half, so my kids don't think it tastes terrible. We have even started eating ground turkey instead of ground hamburger, and added alot more fish to our diet. Not as much steak or hot dogs and brats as we used to. So the diet thing is getting better.

Snacking, I believe I covered that in meals. I don't really buy snacks anymore. I have some for the boys lunches at school but I don't eat them. If I eat them it messes up my food budget because I have to buy more snacks for there lunches and that ticks me off.

as for eating before bed I will have to work on that. I usually grab a bowl of cereal or pb&j sandwich, before bed if I didn't eat before football, but I will work on eating before football pactrice so I won't have to do that anymore. I know it's not good for me.

And my progress. When we moved here from Michigan at the beginning of May I weighed 219. When I stepped on the scale yesterday morning I weighed 206. When we started football practice on July 31 I weighed 214. So I feel really good about my progress and my doctor says I am doing really well. I can pull some of my pants on with out unbuttoning them and I am walking around now pulling them up all the time. So I feel good. And I plan on loosing alot more.

Amy

• jennifer_in_va
    17 years ago

Amy~~ YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!! Sounds like you've got it under control!! Keep up the good work, and don't forget the water!

You go girl!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You go girl! You are doing just what you are supposed to be doing Amy. Moderate exercise, watch what you eat and lose slowly. That is great progress and you get the gold star for the week. I wish I were doing as well. Jennifer is right, don't forget the water, very important especially in the heat.

YEA AMY !!

beverly

• amcfeely
    17 years ago

Well I just have to add this. I just put on a pair of shorts that have been sitting in my drawer for longer than I care to admit. I thought what the heck, I might as well try them on. I put them on and zipped them right up. I didn't even have to lay on the bed or anything. Now I am really proud of myself.

And water is my best friend. We buy it cases at a time so we can freeze it and take it with us when we go places and I drink straight from the tap when I am at home. I rarely drink anything else.

Amy

• maggie_sue
    17 years ago

You are all an inspiration. I have been working on this too tho not posting, so far I was down 23 pounds but now it is 18 pounds. Doing a little back sliding, but with this inspiation, I will forge ahead.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That a girl Maggie Sue. The big thing is not to let a little backsliding get you down. We all do it from time to time and that is the way of life. Don't weigh every day or you will become discouraged. Once a week is enough, first thing in the morning before you eat anything.

Amy, doesn't it feel good to get back in the clothes we already have?!?! Keep up the good work everyone.

beverly

• Islay_Corbel
    17 years ago

We went to friends for lunch yesterday - in typical fashion for here, we started at 1pm and were still there at 6.30pm aarrgghh! Very good, though LOL
    Amy, you're doing so well. I must buy a set of scales! You're encouraging me.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Islay, I am glad you were good at you luncheon. I remember some meals in Paris that lasted hours. The French do make an art of eating. If you can limit the sauces the food is really good for you. You can do it, just little steps. Amy is our star at this point. I must say we are all proud of her.

beverly

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm