Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suellen_delawares

Sewing question that is Way OT

suellen_delawares
16 years ago

What I am trying to sew/invent is a way to cover (mom goat) Christy's udder and teats. She is not weaning her little one, Wind, so we have to keep them apart or Wind drinks all our milk and gets fat. I would have posted this on the farm forum but I need people that sew.

This is what SOME ONE ELSE came up with. I think it needs changes.

"The red lines are some strong webbing, sewn all around the mesh fabric. The red circles are D-rings. Using flat rubber bungees for straps, because they are soft, flexible and will allow for breathing and movement.

An abundance of D-rings should allow the straps to be adjusted for a custom fit, using bungees of varying lengths."

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

Bungees and D-rings do not sound comfortable. Those will have to go.

Just thinking (ouch) Could it be as simple as a loose fitting bag with a strap that goes around in front of the back legs, a strap from the back to the around the butt from there creating a thong to the bag? If the goat removes it then add straps along the top of the goat and under the goat to form a harness around the neck? Observation: That goat must have a big set of teats. My goats are not that big and don't hang that far forward. Maybe it doubles as a goat jock strap. I know IÂm loony. I have another baby goat not ChristyÂs. I want to be able to have all 3 out together.

Any suggestions on how to sew an udder cover or funny comments are appreciated.

Suellen

{{!gwi}}

Minnie and Wind. Christy is in the background.

Comments (13)

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Observations:
    The picture on the right looks more like grommets to me rather than D rings.

I think it would have to harness around the neck/chest somehow to keep it from sliding off the butt.

What if you were to take your mesh fabric of the right size/shape and add binding & grommets around the edge. Could you maybe 'lace' it to the goat in and out of the grommets where ever may be needed and going around the chest & under the tail?

Some thoughts...hope any bit of it might help

• cmc_97
    16 years ago

Maybe the original designer of this contraption is not a sewer and is unfamiliar with sewing terms, but I don't see D rings in this photo.

What I do see is a strip of webbing with GROMMETS in it and flat rubber strap type bungees. (see link below) If you sqeeze the bungee strap "S" hook shut where is attaches to the strap, then install it in the grommets with hook facing out and the flat of the strap against the animal's skin, it may not be all that uncomfortable.

It's difficult to see minute details on the photo, so it's possible that the original designer also put D rings in the grommets where the straps are attached. However, I can clearly see that the grommets that do not have straps in them do NOT have any D rings.

You can buy grommets in a range of sizes. These are relatively large, compared to grommets you might use in a garment or costume.

HTH,
    CMC

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubber strap type bungee

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Oh, I hope you can figure this one out! Wide straps would probably be more comfortable.

I had to make a plastic bag to cover my dog's bandaged leg after knee surgery. I was supposed to keep her bandage dry no matter what, and the "leg baggie" did the trick!

I did all my "sewing" with duct tape. I covered the foot part with leather, so it wouldn't tear. I used twill tape for the ties. They went around her waist, tied in a bow.

If you need to make a mock-up before you cut the mesh for real, you could use the plastic bag and duct tape idea. Use a very thick plastic shopping bag, or maybe you can find a small plastic tarp at a hardware store.

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Me, again. I used Photoshop to zoom in on the photo of the goat wearing that "udderly" odd contraption. Tee hee!

It looks like the edge is bound with some kind of tough fabric. I agree. They're grommets, not D rings. Then rubber bungees. The hooks on the end go through the grommets. That can't be too comfortable. I expect that the rubbery stuff would pull the fur.

You could make padded straps from strips of batting wound inside fabric, but that would get wet in the rain. Perhaps nylon webbing is a good compromise.

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Now if you used nylon webbing/strapping then maybe you'd want the D rings to feed through and back again. They would definitely lay flatter than bungees with hooks.

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

Combine the goat shirt with the top part of a dog coat. I can't buy a ready made coat for the shih-tzu because they are long with relatively small chest. I have to remake store bought coats.

The belly band could be what ever material you think would work with a top out of netting, for coolness, that you can Velcro close. If you made the opening along the goat's spine would she be able to turn her head enough to get at it? Hope not. Not sure where the chest band would close. I know nothing about goats except that I have seen in cartoons and I imagine that's not too accurate.

Here is a link that might be useful: dog coat

• suellen_delawares
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You all have me thinking! Got back from Wal-Mart didn't see any mesh fabric that Wind couldn't rip. I guess I'll have to go to the fabric dept in the hardware store. Also I have to keep in mind that Christy has one horn and can scratch her back with it or take a harness off? Looking back at the womanÂs original post with the harness and the reason that it is so massive is because the muscles in her goatÂs udder gave out. The harness is what keeps the udder up! What ever I use for straps I can sew that fake lambÂs wool around them for cushioning.
    Suellen

• wendyfaye
    16 years ago

OMG! A thong or a jock strap.... which would suit??

Hilarious!!

Thanks for the chuckle. (hope you resolve your problem, it really does sound serious)........rofl again....

Faye

• maryliz
    16 years ago

How about fiberglass pet screen? Wind might not be able to rip that. It is relatively flexible. There are some tote bag patterns that use pet screen for clever beach bags that let the sand run through.

• nassongrad_nh
    16 years ago

Suellen, are you set on having something that covers her entire udder like that? My goat wouldn't have come out of the barn in such attire (no offense meant)! Can't you use teat tape or there is a stretchy foam people tape (with the adhesive tapes at the drug store) that some folks use. Use two pieces, one lengthwise to cover the orafice and one wrapped around the teat to secure the first. Do not attach the ends of the second piece so the teat has room to swell. It's a pain to get off for milking, but that foamy stuff does not leave much sticky residue and is quite flexible. Bitter apple on the udder might help discourage Wind as well (pet supply stores). Can't help you with the sewing problem, sorry.

• calliope
    16 years ago

How unusual is it for an animal not to want to wean her offspring? I've only been around cattle, and I've never seen one who didn't start discouraging a calf when they got a certain size. I wonder if it is like human children, I've seen a few so attached to their bottles, that wondered if the mother would have to start packing it in their school lunch boxes. LOL.

The reason I ask is that I am considering getting some dairy goats, and I've only had pygmies around. So, what I know about dairy goats is only what I've read. The suggestions seem to be to let the kid get the colostrum and then put them on a bottle with replacement pronto. What would happen if you started milking the dam enough that there isn't a lot left over for the kid? Would that get him weaned sooner or what? Sorry, I am really taking this off-topic. But it looks like you know a lot more about goats than I and there surely is a simpler way than having to sew restraints, isn't there?

• suellen_delawares
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Many good ideas. We are such creative women. Sometimes I start making something and make it
    harder than it needs to be. I need to learn to keep it simple.
    Nassongrad,I don't need to cover the entire udder. Christy Goat is pretty easy going and would probably be
    ok with whatever I did, but I wouldn't want anyone to see her with such a contraption on. Are you talking about
    that stuff that comes in a roll and when you wrap it around it will stick to itself? Why didn't I think of trying Bitter
    Apple? I got rid of my Bitter Apple I used it once my dogs (3), they liked it! Do you think it will absorb thru the
    teat and affect the milk?
    Calliope,We thought that if we let Wind use Christy as a punching bag (ouch) she would wean her, she didnÂt. We
    milk twice a day. If they are together she would nurse off and on all day and we would get little to no milk. I hope
    that answered your question.
    Suellen
    If anyone wants to talk about goats or chickens email me:
    zebrasueln@yahoo.com

Christy goat

• calliope
    16 years ago

She is beautiful and is obviously a good Mama.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES