Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coalaska

collections

coalaska
16 years ago

Not too long ago, we posted what we collect. Interesting thread, and many different collections: cows, thimbles, muffineers...

I did a search and couldn't find it. Should we try it again?

What do you collect?

Comments (24)

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

does dust count? lol

no other real collectibles here...

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

I collect roosters and chickens.

• msmeow
    16 years ago

Cat fur? Not that I want to collect it.

Quilt books & patterns, clothing patterns, notions, thread, fabric...hmmm...I think maybe I need therapy.

Donna

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Besides fabric and books? I've gotten rid of some of my collections in the past few years, decluttering alot. I took a critical look at my rooms, and got rid of most of my copper molds, copper teapots, decorative plates that filled two walls on plate rails, - rooms look alot cleaner and more open now. (Even attempting to pare down my fabric and books some). I still have all my little wooden "cats meow" buildings - have about 15 of those, all lined up on the windowsills in my sewing room.

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

okay, so I forgot I actually do have a real collection.

I collect metal tins and they are suspended from my drop ceiling in my sewing room with magnets.

• mayme
    16 years ago

I have a large collection of snowmen which are mostly
    packed away as I got tired of them. I have quite a few
    teapots and cups and saucers.

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

I forgot I collect angel ornaments - I cover a small tabletop tree with them at Christmas - don't put a huge tree up anymore - I gave that away.

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

I collect miniature sewing machines, crystal knife rests, and salt cellars and the small sterling silver spoons to go along with them. I also pick up the hand-wrought aluminum ware trays and things for entertaining. These I usually give away with cookies and such for gifts. Oh I forgot to mention, I also collect fabric. LOL.

• bonica
    16 years ago

I collect flowers..silk flowers. It looks like a flippin funeral parlor around here!
    ooooooooh...the Fall collections are out..already!
    Bon
    :)

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

After visiting the Outer Banks in NC 15 years ago, I started collecting anything with a lighthouse. My kitchen is done in lighthouses. Also, blue glass bottles, especially antique ones. Oh, and fabric too :).

Rebecca

• nana24
    16 years ago

As some of you said, I do collect fabric and quilting things-i.e. patterns and books. My main collection is of nativities. I have all been collecting for many years and have more than I care to count. I used to put them away and get them out only at Christmas but I now keep 3 display cases full out all the time and get out many more and even sometimes even decorate my tree with only nativities.
    I also have a smallish collection of ladybuy things.
    I have a tin collection but it is not out. It was packed away when we moved and is still waiting to be put out.
    I have given away lots of things. Many of my things my daughter says her name is on for when I'm gone(however I do not know where she will put it as she is a collector also.)
    Scraphappy, I wish I could get inspired to get rid of some of this "stuff" I have around me.
    Since my daughter doesn't sew &(we still don't know if the GD will)we decided that when I'm gone she should have a party and invite all my friends who sew and lay out all my sewing "stuff" and let them pick out whatever they want. :)

Sally

• gininmn
    16 years ago

I collect puffin things--pictures, carvings, knicknacks, earrings and other jewelry, cards, clothes (t-shirts, sweaters, stockings) with pictures of puffins on them, any kind of thing with puffins on them. My husband even painted a puffin on the bow of one of our canoes for me. I fell in love with them when we saw some nesting on an island off of Alaska twentysome years ago. As a memento of our trip we bought a soapstone carving. They are just so darn cute! I need to learn to paperpiece so that I can make a quilted one.

Ginny

• csackett
    16 years ago

I collect junk. I love the old oil lanterns and have several. I use them occassionally when the power is out. I love old things, furniture, etc. I think I was born in the wrong century. Carolyn

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

Along with the dust and cat hair, I do have a collection of Fenton Cats, Leprechans, and Possible Dreams Irish Gentlemen and some Tara pieces....(Alot of dust collectors)..
    Dorothy

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Does anyone collect antique (or somewhat old) sewing notions? I have some that will only gather dust at my place. E-mail me privately if you're interested and I can send you a photo.

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Fabric and patterns, seashells as I walk along the beach, kids books, craft books, pictures of places we go and people we meet. Does this seem like an odd assortment to anyone else?

beverly

• nanciii
    16 years ago

Well lets seeeeee.....

My favorite is my muffineers, then my sugar sifters, and now I am into nut or bonbon spoons. I collect kitty fabric, birdhouses, santas and snowmen ready to retire some of them. Hatpins and hatpin holders. Anything that Cindy paints like the mural in my sewing room. That's all I can think of right now....there is more

Nanci

• melissa968
    16 years ago

In addition to fabric?

Waterford crystal (bowls, pitchers, vases, sugar/creamer, trays...I even have a ceiling light fixture of Waterford). I'm running out of room for it though....

• nanciii
    16 years ago

oh and there is also the hand blown Christmas ornaments by Radko and Waterford....

Nanci

• easystitches
    16 years ago

Snoopy!
    why, oh why, didn't I start collecting something
    classy!!!

I think Snoopy & his friends need to go soon! Jill

• maryliz
    16 years ago

I didn't think I really collected anything...

But then I saw the Ikea coffee table with the glass top, and divided drawers that can display small items. I fell in love with the idea of looking at nice little *somethings* through the glass. We needed a bigger coffee table anyway. I got it home and assembled it. Then came the fun part.

I pulled out all the feathers, interesting stones, shells, foreign coins, special postcards, etc. that I had accumulated. Instead of filling boxes, never to be seen, or lying there all dusty on a shelf, we can ENJOY them, finally!

The nice thing is that the table will limit the size of my collection. If I want to put something new in, something old will have to rotate out. Since most of the objects are from nature, they can return to nature.

• polardream
    16 years ago

polarbears .... stuffed, statues, ornaments, jewelry ...
    also have a bell collection that I got tired of dusting so I boxed them up - 2 huge boxes - and would love to get rid of them but who really wants a bell collection from places they have never been (all over the world)???
    I also have fabric and likee Jennifer - DUST!

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

I have a little collection of bear stuff. Most of it has been given to me because DH's grandkids call me MarBear. My grands know that they call me that. Both side will pick up cute bear-y things - sweatshirts, hot pads, statuettes, etc.

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

I collect fabric, yarn, crochet and quilt books. I also seem to be attracted to sunflowers. I have a lot of sunflower fabric and a few other sunflower things. They make me smile. The best thing is that they grow wild here.

Suellen

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!