Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glassquilt

I found ALL of my tessalated lily blocks!

glassquilt
16 years ago

I opened box #6 this morning and there was one lonely block - the fourth I'd found. I couldn't stand it any longer. Where were my blocks? I tore into boxes 7 & 8 throwing fabric all around me. In box #8 I found them. The colors are not as vibrant as before the fire - sort of look as if they had be tea dyed with a grayish tea I won't know if there is any damage until I get around to ironing them - after I finish the boxes.

This is the only hand sewn quilt I have ever done. Took me 2 1/2 years @ about 10 hours per block. I will have to put them together with hand sewing. Not even going to the quilting part of it yet.

These are the blocks on the design board in the living room after the fire. Saved because I was too tired after my surgery to put it away where it belonged.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• hayden2239
    16 years ago

What a stunning set of blocks!
    I would give you my left arm if you can tell me where I can get that pattern!

• redpenny
    16 years ago

Beautiful blocks will make a stunning quilt!
    Red

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Those are gorgeous! How do they fit together? I'm so glad they survived - boy will that quilt have some meaning for you!!

• nana24
    16 years ago

What georgous blocks! I can't imagine putting that much work into a block. So glad you have them and they are ok.

TFS
    Sally

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

Oh Glass!!! Those are gorgeous!!! So glad you found em!!!!

• glassquilt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I saw this on Simply Quilts and fell in love with it. I ordered the book but was too impatient to wait for it so I drafted my own version. I'm glad I did because my flowers are bigger than the ones in the book.

Quiltmaking by Hand, Jinny Beyer
    Breckling Press 1 st edition
    ISBN 0-9721218-2-X
    746.46 - dc22
    Day Lilies page 240

• nickisews
    16 years ago

WOW. Those are great!!

• janice__indiana5
    16 years ago

So glad you found this treasure! Those are beautiful, I can see how much work went in to them!

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

I'm speechless! I love, love, love that pattern--and the fabric choices are incredible.

Guess I'll have to get that book cuz that's one pattern I have to have. Can it be done by machine, or is hand sewing necessary?

• glassquilt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did the first one by machine but because of all the bias edges nearly pulled my hair out. Put it away for awhile until the idea of doing it by hand occurred to me. Turned out to be less bothersome for me than all the pinning and mumbling under my breath.

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!! You are extremely talented!!!!
    Rosa

• polardream
    16 years ago

Glass,
    That is so incredibly beautiful! I am glad it survived your fire ... it will mean so much to you when it is finished!
    Sue