Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

What's in your fridge?

I was cleaning out a drawer in the fridge the other day and found a package of yeast....the expiration date is May 01, 2002.

Sooooo, what's in your fridge with the oldest expiration date?.... or am I the only one that doesn't thoroughly clean the fridge out very often...

Sharon

Comments (11)

• salijo
    14 years ago

Nothing that old...I've only had my fridge for a little over 2 years. I know I have something in my freezer from 2 years ago that I should toss though.

Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok....I win. @:)

Did you know you can keep celery for a very long period of time if it's wrapped in foil? True....I've been doing it.

Sharon/mom

• salijo
    14 years ago

no, I didn't know that. I'll try it...I don't usually buy fresh veggies that come in a package because it goes bad before I can use it all. But this might help.

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

You win Sharon LOL!!! But only because we have only lived here about 2 years.
    I just cleaned out my frig and found some left overs in the back from the Easter party.
    After throwing out lettuce 2 weeks in a row because we didn't finish it I bought the 'forever bags'.
    12 in a package for about $6 and they are reusuable. I only store fruit and veggies in them.
    Veggies I will use in a soup, but there's not much to do with lettuce!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Easter? That's not very long...... @:)

I wish there was a way to keep lettuce! Maybe I'll try wrapping it in foil and see what happens.
    Sharon

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

I can see the foil working. It is snug and keeps out air and light. I'm gonna try it!!
    When we first moved in the light in the frig went out the first week and I replaced it.
    Milk I bought soured in 2days. We had not been using the thing enough to realize the light was staying on continously.
    After 2 more bulbs we finally got it LOL!!! Now we just don't have a light, it is by a window so it is fine with me.
    Bought a freezer around Christmas and the light comes on sometimes and sometimes not. I really don't care whether there is a light in it or not as long as my food freezes and stays frozen!
    If all my 'maters defrosted I would be upset!!
    Rosa

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I took your challenge and cleaned out the fridge. You still win though because I can't beat 5/1/02. The oldest thing I found was a small jar of mango chutney with an expiration of 08/15/07. I have to admit I don't even recall buying it. There was only one spoonful missing... guess it wasn't very good... I tossed it.

Thanks for the incentive to clean!

Kate

• salijo
    14 years ago

Just don't use foil on anything acidic....tomatoes, citrus fruits, etc.

Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sal, I didn't know that. You know I'm not very smart about stuff like that.

Kate, You want any more challenges involving cleaning????

Rosa, I'd be upset if my maters got defrosted, too!

Sharon

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, I found out the hard way about acidics and certain metals.
    I cooked a big batch of tomato sauce to freeze and had to throw all of it away.
    It gives it a nasty metallic taste.
    Now Sharon, don't get me wrong, I rarely take EVERYTHING out of the fridge to clean.
    I just do one shelf at a time every,move stuff to another shelf, wipe that one off.
    My door shelves are the ones that I really need to go through!!
    And let's not even mention the cabnets!!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rosa.....we don't talk cabinets. Specially the very top ones! I was really sweatin' it thinking you deep cleaned your whole fridge at one time! Door shelves in fridge and freezer get cleaned when things start to stick and I have to pry them off! The very bottom of the big freezer really needs to be cleaned out but what do i do with that 25 pound turkey that's in there while it's happenin'? Guess it won't thaw that fast, eh?
    Sharon

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH