Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

OT- question for anyone near Seminole, OK

polardream
16 years ago

This is SOOO off topic, but hoping my quilting friends in Oklahoma might have some information.

We are looking at buying a dog from a breeder in Seminole, Oklahoma and wanted to know if any of you have heard anything good - or bad - about these folks. The name of their kennel is Herddogies and they are from Seminole, OK.

The pups are miniature australian shepherds and it's a big monetary investment - plus the expense of either driving to Oklahoma from Colorado to pick the dog up or flying the dog here. The dog we are looking at is sooo cute ...

We looked at some puppies in Missouri when we were traveling through there and felt really uncomfortable with the breeder we went to there.

If you know anything about them, please let me know!

Thanks

Sue

Comments (14)

• noocha
    16 years ago

Hey Sue. I don't know anything about this breeder but have you tried the BBB? Maybe they would have something on file about them. Or maybe look up a local vet's number online or somehow. A vet would probably know something. Wish I could help cause it's a big thing to buy a dog, especially one that costs a lot.
    Linda

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

Hi Sue, I don't know anything about your breeder either but I'll tell you what we did before we bought our dog from a breeder in CA. We asked to see the pedigree of the parent dogs, whether any dogs in the lineage had won any shows or trials, whether the pup would have a hip xray or any other procedures done before being shipped to us, and if they were trainers as well as breeders.

• polardream
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Both good ideas. I will see what I can find out.
    Sue

• grammyp
    16 years ago

My DD's roommate got hers from a family in Texas, but has some friends in OK and will have them check it out tomorrow. Her little pup is the sweetest thing and smart as a whip!

beverly

• doby
    16 years ago

Sue,

I sent you a private e-mail with some suggestions.

Deb

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Perhaps this is asking too much when buying from people far away, but I would also like to see the place and the parents before making a final decision. I would want to know: Are the surroundings clean? Are the puppy's parents good-natured? Are the puppies being raised in a home atmosphere, or is it a puppy mill with lots of cages? Do the dogs look healthy? You are smart to be doing what you can to check out the place beforehand.

• grammyp
    16 years ago

The roommate called her friends in OK, but they don't have any info on the kennel. Perhaps the AKC can help out.

beverly

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

You might also see if the people have a website. Everyone has websites these days, right?

• polardream
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your great tips. We are checking things out and will keep you posted!
    Sue

• tdsully
    16 years ago

Have you found anything more about the breeder? I live in Oklahoma but don't know anything about them. Hope you find out something and get a really good dog. tdsully

• polardream
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for everyone's help. We ended up finding a breeder in Colorado and got our puppy last Friday. Made DH happy not to go to Oklahoma and was much easier to check out being only 3 hours away! She is a miniature Australian Shepherd and is 9 weeks old. We had our first "puppy" class tonight ... she LOVES all the other dogs! Here is Penny's picture.
    Sue
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Oh, she is so cute and she will grow up to be a beautiful dog. She must have very good habits already to have her kennel on the HARDWOOD floors!!!!!! Love her....you are lucky parents.
    Jean

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Penny is beautiful, I'm glad you found her close to home. They are such smart and cunning dogs, you will be so happy with her. DD's friend's is just a wonderful family member.

beverly

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Darling puppy! And I just realized that having "dots" over your eyes protects you because to a predator, you would seem to be awake when you're really asleep!