Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

07/27 Diet/exercise challenge updates

grammyp
17 years ago

Just a new thread to see how everyone is doing. I must admit I did not get my exercise Sunday unless you count shucking corn and picking apples, tomatoes, and green beans. We did ride further today, 6 1/2 miles and tomorrow DH said it will be 7+ miles. In one month he wants us to be able to do the 16 mile ride to the next little town and back.

I hope everyone is working on their 30 minutes movement daily. We will give everyone time to make this one a habit and next week we will add another item to our challenge. Anyone interested can join us at anytime.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (22)

• jennifer_in_va
    17 years ago

Well, Saturday I forgot to put on my counter until 8pm when I took the dog for a walk (kids had been playing with it!) Did a 40 minute walk with dog, counted about 3K steps and 2 1/2 miles.

Sunday & today I had the counter on and in normal daily life tracked just under 8K steps...no walk for the dog either day.

Now if I could only stay out of the ice cream and chocolate chip cookies!!

• melindaeu
    17 years ago

Oh boy, I'm not whining, but the heat & humidity has been so intense, even early in the morning, so I haven't gotten my outdoor exercise in like I had planned.

Think 112 at 4PM and 90 at 8AM -- we just haven't been getting our Delta breezes to cool us down. We turn on the A/C at 9am and off at midnight. Indoors it doesn't get lower than 88, somethings got to be wrong with our A/C, will have to get it checked out.

But I have been doing some indoor exercises, situps, pushups, a variety of movements, plus some weight lifting with water bottles.

Definitely cutting back on food intake. Today we went to lunch at Olive Garden with friends, we all had the Soup & Salad, and I only had one bowl of soup, one serving of salad with no dressing and one breadstick. Love the Diet Organizer.

You are really moving along with your biking miles, Beverly!

Cute cartoon.

Next update I plan on having progress.

Good luck & have a good week challengers,

Mel

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jennifer, remember most pedometers only counts the steps made by one foot, especially if you wear it on your shoe instead of at your hip, so double the count. But it doesn't help with the ice cream.

Mel, I completely understand about the heat and humidity. We finally got some cool weather (90) and rain for 2 days in a row. We try to get out early (before 7) and get our ride in. I have actually started to enjoy them. I'm not sure how much I will like the cold this winter, but maybe it will be a mild one. DH said there is nothing like having to write down every thing that goes into your mouth to make you cut back. I think I will load it onto the laptop and try it out too. I have been trying to watch what I eat, but the little things really add up. I get so thirsty after the bike rides, then I get hungry in about an hour.

Randy has some really cute cartoons. Have you looked at any of the others?

Everyone be sure to get a baseline weight so we can "measure" our progress.

beverly

• deannabsd
    17 years ago

Well I got my 2 miles in last night and dug out the bike and did another miles. It was hot but I don't think my knees hurt so much when it is hot. I got my weight lifting and biking in at the fitness center after work but now it is raining-We need it so bad so I guess I won't do any more walking. Good to hear that everyone is doing well. Thanks for the cute cartoon. d

• amcfeely
    17 years ago

Well I missed a few days last week but I am back on track, with the exercising. Last night was difficult, it was very windy and I had both of my younger ones in the stroller, so I didn't walk as far but let me tell you, I was more tired from that walk than any of the others.

Jennifer no more chocolate chip cookies. For me it is German Chocolate cake, Hunter just had a birthday yesterday so we still have a few peices around. I think they are eating it for breakfast then I can get back on track, the ice cream is almost gone too. Then there won't be any temptation in the house, I stopped buying junk food and am making the boys eat fruit and veggies instead.

Well I guess I am off to get my base weight. Good job everyone keep it up. And if you get discouraged come see us and we will help if we can.

Amy

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, where are you Karen L, Kelly and Scraphappy? We haven't heard from you this week.

DH checked a google map and we have been riding 10 miles, not 6. Yesterday we went to the end of the road and it was 6.1 miles one way. How nice of him to drag me up and down those hills for 12 miles!!

I weighed in this morning and I only lost 1 pound this past week. But that is one I didn't gain I guess.

beverly

• glassquilt
    17 years ago

Grammyp - Equal size cube of muscle weighs more than one of fat. Theoretically you can get in shape and gain.

• jennifer_in_va
    17 years ago

okay, glassquilt...so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

• jennifer_in_va
    17 years ago

Checking in again this week>>>>

I've definitely done my 30 minutes today!! I just finished mowing the yard in 90+ degrees and full sun. Took about 40 minutes.

The pedometer is definitely not working now, so will need to investigate a new purchase...probably more than the $5.00 one at Walmart! lol

How's everyone else doing???

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You are so right glassquilt. And it is smaller, which is what I am interested in. Dh hasn't been swimming since he lost all his weight. Last week he found out he doesn't float near as well as he used to.

We got our ride in this morning. We went 15.5 miles today. Tomorrow I have to work again but Saturday DH is taking me on one of the club rides (18 miles). I'll let you know how I do, if I can.

beverly

• amcfeely
    17 years ago

Well I haven't walked for the last two days. It was to hot here on Wednesday and thursday DH had to go out of town and Conner fell asleep at 6:30 and slept until almost 9 this morning. I didn't want to wake him last night so I will have to make it up the next two days.

On a worse note. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and my cholesteral and triglycerides have gone up and not down. I have been exercising and eating way better. I switch to egg substitute, cholesterol lowering butter, whole grain breads, upped my veggie and fruit intake and cut out alot of red meat. I am following the list the doctors gave me. I don't know what the problem is. I am just so frusterated because I have been trying and it is still climbing. It was 283 and 303, I am just a walking heart attack waiting to happen. I need to go to my primary care doctor and we need to set up a new plan, these numbers came from the blood work the neuroligist did for my research study. And my platelets were high to, what does that mean?

Amy

• bkfdwife
    17 years ago

Amy, I'm not in on the challenge thing, but my dad used to have to take metamucil to help with his cholextral...you might check into that!
    Lisa

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Amy, how long was it between tests and were they both fasting levels? These things take a while to help. Please don't get frustrated, the numbers will get better, I'm afraid to see what mine were. Don't go back to the dr till the end of August, didn't want to ruin my vacation.

beverly

• amcfeely
    17 years ago

Actually I can't remember if I ate breakfast before the last doc's visit or not. It actually wasn't my appointment, he just kinda signed me up for the research study while I was in with Hunter. I am just going to keep doing what I have been and make an appointment with my primary care physician and see how things really are.

Amy

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That sounds like a good idea Amy. I bet you did eat before you went and that will affect the numbers. Just keep up the good work and they will come down. Remember, they didn't get that high in 1 year, and they probably won't go down to normal in 1 year either. But they will start going down, wait and see.

beverly

• laurainsdca
    17 years ago

GrammyP,

I would love to joing you guys. I am not trying to lose weight but I definitely have fallen off the exercise wagon and know I am really out of shape -- my arms actually ache sometimes they feel so weak.

DH of course tries to nudge me into it but that just irritates me and makes me feel resistant, but if I can join your challenge and feel like I'm choosing this for myself I think that would be great.

I enjoyed reading through this thread -- haven't been in the conversations area for awhile and I guess I missed the original challenge.

I'll be checking in now.

PS -- Picking vegetables IS a form of exercise...

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome Laura, it is always nice to have more encouragers (is that a word?) Even if you don't need to lose weight, just moving is good for you. Keeps the joints "lubricated" as it were. I can tell a difference already and we have only been riding the bike for 2 weeks. I have gone from 1 mile to 15, I think that is pretty good anyway. My hips don't hurt as much (or perhaps my backside just hurts more) I can now get into the hiking pants DH got me for Christmas last year (couldn't get them buttoned, now they zip!) They are still a bit snug for hiking in, but perhaps by fall they will be ok.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    17 years ago

way to go Beverly!! I don't think I could imagine 15 miles on a bike anymore, with or without assistance!!

• amcfeely
    17 years ago

Yes way to go Beverly. I have been walking, DH made me go last night. It was dark and I had a migraine and was so tired but we went, and felt better after I got home. I know have 2 pairs of pants(one capri and one shorts) that I can pull on with out undoing the button and the zipper. They aren't falling off yet but I don't have to undo them so I am happy about that. My weight hasn't really changed but DH says he has noticed that I look slimmer. So yippee for me.

Amy

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

YAY Amy! I was surprised how much good just a little "exercise" can accomplish. I hope walking in the heat didn't bother your migrain. I have ment to tell you, in the picture you posted of you, hubby and Connor at the skating rink you look a LOT like DH's cousing Becky when she was your age. When we get back from our trips I will look up a picture of her and compare. They say everyone has a twin somewhere, I may have found yours.

It is pouring rain right now, so I don't think I will get to ride today. DH will have to get ready for work and the road won't dry out in time between church and work. I will just have to walk today. We are taking the bike with us so I will have to make it up tomorrow I guess.

beverly

• carlene
    17 years ago

I have a bike trail that crosses my street! I slowed down when I seen a bike for two coming. Since everyone showed their pictures I took a good look! Nope it wasn't Beverly and DH. At the rate they are going thought they may of made it to Ohio!!!! I need to stand up to your challenge!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No Carlene, we haven't made it to Ohio on the bike yet. We do take it with us when we camp. I love to waunder around camp grounds and they are usually good places to ride. I wish we had a trail closer to home, but we have to ride on the roads (and I hate riding in traffic).

We would love to have you join our little group. The challenges will be baby steps and we will add another about every 2 weeks. Not to hard to do.

beverly

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler