Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melindaeu

How's your bananas?

melindaeu
17 years ago

This is so way off topic it deserves to be relegated to this section!

Bananas this year have been dog gone awful. They turn brown & soft quickly, and the flavor, well, like, no flavor at all.

My region is Northern Calif. Sure it's hot here, but don't remember a summer where bananas were like this.

So, how's YOUR bananas?

Mel

Comments (10)

• jennifer_in_va
    17 years ago

Well, if you ask my 7 month old, over-grown Siberian husky pup he'd tell you they were quite yummy!! LOL It just so happens that he took an entire bunch off the kitchen counter yesterday and gnawed on a few...multiple times! and yes...we kept moving them back out of reach...we thought!

LOL I for one haven't tried them yet.

• grammyp
    17 years ago

Ours have been mostly really good. Some have been small and rather hard, but most of them have been quite good. The peaches on the other hand were really bad. I got some nectarines yesterday that are to die for. I ate all of them today and will have go get more tomorrow.

beverly

• scraphappy
    17 years ago

bananas are usually not too bad - I try to get smallish ones that are just turning from green to yellow - they last a little longer, and if they don't, I make banana bread. What I have trouble finding are good sweet, crunchy apples - Sams carries good ones so I load up when I go there, and they seem to last weeks. Grapes are kinda iffy - I like the seedless ones, and sometimes they are to die for, and sometimes just awful. I love fruit, but I'm a little picky. Has there been a problem with the banana crops this year?

• gerizone5
    17 years ago

No trouble with bananas. Peaches are always a problem--just can't tell what you get until you bite in. They're ususally dry. I would love to find a sweet juicy peach. At this time of year I only buy the Granny Smith apples and wait until the fall crop for the rest.

• redpenny
    17 years ago

bananas are awful................I am in Pittsburgh.
    Red

• mum_in_africa
    17 years ago

Interesting question. I can't answer though because as a result of the Hurricane through here a while back bananas are now so expensive we are not buying them. They are about US$5.25 a pound. which is about 7 times what we would usually pay

Anne

• gerizone5
    17 years ago

Holy moly, 5.25 per pound--the most I've ever paid is about.69 a pound. I can see why you aren't buying them.

• amcfeely
    17 years ago

Well I am in San Antonio and they aren't that good here either. We haven't bought any in a while so we did this weekend. I like to buy them still a little green, but they didn't have any. They were all yellow so we got them. By the time we got home and I took them out of the grocery bag Hunter said, "Mom why did you buy rotten bananas. That's how much they had turned brown just from the store to home. They tasted okay but not great.

Amy

• deannabsd
    17 years ago

I have the best lo-fat recipe for you when your bananas aren't the greatest.
    Banana sundaes
    Slice one banana in thin slices
    Drizzles chocolate syrup over the banana
    Sprinkle (lightly) sun flower nuts over it.

You can almost feel like there really is ice cream!!

Also, freeze in slices bananas and they are such a yummy treat. It really brings out the sweetness.

• gypsygirl_ky
    17 years ago

Bananas are not so good here either. I use them in bread if they are sweet enough to eat (there is pineapple in my banana bread, so sweetness in the bananas doesnt matter as much)
    I only buy peaches when I can walk past them and smell the sweetness. Never failed me yet.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!