Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryliz_gw

Fruit Desserts for Summer

maryliz
16 years ago

I just tried this one, and it's a keeper.

BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE WITH RICOTTA TOPPING

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9" square baking dish.

In a large bowl, cream:

¼ C (½ stick) butter, softened

½ C sugar

Combine in a separate bowl:

1 C flour

1¼ t baking powder

Add to the butter/sugar mixture. Blend until small, even crumbs form. Scrape down the sides and blend briefly. Next add all at once:

1/3 C milk

1 large egg

½ t lemon extract OR ¼ t lemon oil

Stir only enough to form a sticky batter. Dump into baking pan and spread evenly into corners.

Top with:

1½ C blueberries (If using frozen berries, thaw and drain first.)

In a medium bowl, whisk:

2 large eggs

¼ C sugar

Then add:

¼ t vanilla extract

¼ t almond extract

(If you donÂt have both, use ½ t of one.)

1 C ricotta cheese

Stir until all lumps are gone. Pour over the blueberries. Spread out to the corners.

Bake for 55~60 minutes. Done when a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting into 16 squares. Refrigerate leftovers.

Makes 16 servings.

Do you have any favorite fruit\-based desserts for summer?

Comments (7)

• love2sew
    16 years ago

This looks so yummy but alas I will have to hide it until I loose some of this weight...maybe it will be my special Christmas desert. Thanks for sharing.
    Jean

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, here's another fruit dessert--very low in calories. Get the freshest, sweetest beefsteak tomatoes and cantaloupe you can find. Seed the tomatoes and dice to 1/2" chunks. Dice the cantaloupe to the same size. Simple. But it relies completely on the sweetness and freshness of the fruit.

I also like blackberries and honeydew melon. The color combination is striking!

You can drizzle either fruit salad with plain yoghurt that has some cinnamon added.

• amcfeely
    16 years ago

Here is my absolute favorite fruit dessert for the summer. We have this all the time in my family. It is super easy to make and tastes great. And it is really light.

Lemon Berry Dessert
    By Amy McFeely

1 angel food cake (pound cake can be used too)
    Warmed lemon curd (recipe below)
    Strawberries, sliced
    Raspberries
    Blueberries
    Blackberries
    Whip cream-optional.

To put together, put one slice of cake in a bowl or on desert plate. Drizzle with warm lemon curd, and top with assorted berries. Can be topped with whip cream, cool whip, real whipped cream. Your choice.

Lemon Curd

3 well-beaten eggs
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel (set aside)
    1/3-cup fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup butter

In saucepan mix eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until thick, about 15 minutes. (Note: make sure temp is not to high, egg whites will start to cook before the sauce thickens.) Remove from heat; stir in lemon peel. Chill. Serve with scones. Or us as a filling for pie, tarts, etc.

I just use whatever berries are available, sometimes just strawberries, just depends on what you like and what you have available in your area. This is our favorite summertime dessert. And we don't always put the whipped topping on it. It is very good with out it. And I use blue bonnet or imperial margarine instead of butter and it turns out just fine.

Amy

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

Here is an easy but very refreshing wonderful desert. I took it to a family thing and there wasn't enough. LOL

I white cake mix
    1 pkg orange jello mix
    2 large cans mandarine oranges
    8 oz whipped topping
    2/3 c. sour cream
    2/3 c. powdered sugar

Mix cake mix up as directed. Put half of it in another smaller bowl and orange jello mix to that bowl. Pour half of each into 9" round cake pans and swirl together. Bake as package says.

Mix sour cream and powdered sugar together until smooth. Add whipped topping.

When cake is cool lay one cake top down and put a layer of the whipped topping mix on it. Then top that with a generous amount of oranges. Put other cake on top and ice all of it with the remaining whipped topping.

Add more oranges on top for decoration.

Enjoy!

Lynette

• chickadee__3a
    16 years ago

The wild blueberries are ripening here and I spent the morning picking. I just finished making this pie which is one of our favourites.

1 9" baked pie shell or a graham cracker crust (I prefer the g c crust)
    4 C berries
    3/4 C sugar
    3 T cornstarch
    1/8 t salt
    1/4 t cinnamon
    1 t lemon juice
    1T butter
    1 C water
    Mix water, salt, sugar,cinnamon and 1 c berries in a pot and cook gently about 5 min. Mash the berries as they're cooking. Add lemon juice and butter and mix well. Add remaining berries, mix well and pour into the crust. cool and serve with whipped cream or Cool Whip.
    You can do this with strawberries too, but when I do the srwawberry one I stand the berries pointy side up and pour the sauce over.

• coalaska
    16 years ago

How did I miss this thread? I'm ready to make everything listed here. If I'd found it earlier today, would be making one right now (the blueberry pie).

I've made a sort of trifle: a layer angel food cake bits, a layer of berries (mixed with a simple sugar syrup), layer of whipped cream, and repeat. top with berries. I use a large footed candleholder--looks very nice.

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My aunt gave us a ton of blueberries. I have been trying a lot of the recipes in Joy of Cooking. Blueberry cobbler ... blueberry muffins ... yummm! I am going to miss fresh blueberries in a few months, but frozen blueberries work well in most recipes, so there's no need to stop!