Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

concern/questions

vicky4x4
16 years ago

I'm a little concerned here about our forum........ I see things are changing and people are not happy with the OT and other things. I wonder with all this "bickering" for lack of a better word, will Garden web pull us off the forums? Does this happen on other forums? I have been on the garden web for a few years just dropping in a few different forums. I did see a little bit of disagreements now and again but this is a HUGE blow-up, in my mind anyway. I just love this place and hate to see this going on. As I posted I like the forum the way it is or was???? Please someone reassure me that "quilting" will still be around after all this has blown over. I "need" you ladies and have come to look forward to checking in everyday.

Vicky

Comments (7)

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

This is not the first time posts have been switched.

• lots2do
    16 years ago

There was a blowup a while back, I don't even remember what it was about and someone complained to GW. A lot of postings were bumped here that time. One of my postings was deemed OT and moved here then too and I got an email from GW.
    Please don't leave, Betty. I enjoy your postings.
    Kelly - NH

• ddavisgray
    16 years ago

Vicky,

I'm somewhat concerned too.

There's not alot of outside contact I have of other than family, and I have found this forum to be a way to be sure there is "life out there". I've loved the sharing of our work, our families, and our lives.

I usually look forward to checking in daily, usually.

There has been pretty big blowups in the past year and they have died down.I really hate to see it happening again.

I'm wondering how many changes will happen before this one dies down. Or if it will.

I'm with you, I need you guys too. This is sad.

doris

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

I don't know about GardenWeb -- considering it's about crafts and home stuff -- kind of a "family" atmosphere, I want to say, maybe they are much more sensitive than other forum hosting companies.

But compared to what I've seen elsewhere -- the drama on here is nothing. I know it stands out compared to how things usually are but I posted a QUESTION on E-bay once and people started calling me names and telling me off. Same with a legal forum, I was just asking if something was legal in CA and these LAWYERS just ATTACKED me -- told me to mind my own business! LOL. Not even trying to act polite. On political forums I see people cussing each other out and total name calling. (That's why I come here now...)

Obviously we do not want any of that. The friendly atmosphere is what makes this forum so much better. But compared to the rest of the internet I do think any disputes on here have been pretty tame.

I assume GW gets paid through their advertisers so I'd expect it would only become an issue if the atmosphere changed and people didn't want to visit anymore.

PS -- as I recall the BIG dispute where threads started getting moved was over this exact topic. Someone scolded everyone for posting OT and with the way the post came across people didn't like it and told her so. She left and the threads got moved here. I think it only lasted about 2 days as I recall and then things were pretty much back to normal.

There have been a couple other "misunderstandings" but they seem to pass over pretty fast.

Oh, also, I've browsed other GW forums and seen some sniping and it seemed pretty normal so I would be surprised if GW shut us down -- unless people start emailing them and complaining a lot.

FWIW: A couple years back after Katrina hit New Orleans we were makeing Christmas stockings for charity and Red was heading the effort and some guy got REALLY weird -- like creepy weird -- to both of us behind the scenes in emails. We asked him to calm down a little and he FLIPPED and his wife came on and posted this bizarre diatribe about how evil we were. (Plus they posted a bunch of damning things about the charity stuff here and elsewhere.) I asked GW if they could take his post down and they did and in an email they told me that I had not done anything wrong. (I was still very embarrassed and bummed.)

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

That was in my memory, the only time a real wierdy person got on here! LOL Don't be embarrassed. You're not responsable for those people!
    I love it here but I am insensed when we now have quilting related stuff, i.e. block swaps, mixed up with personal stuff. I've posted to Tamara because it's getting silly. I want to go back to normal.

• lots2do
    16 years ago

So sorry, Vicki, I got mixed up last night while I was catching up on all of the threads here. Didn't mean to call you Betty!
    K.

• mexicomarti
    16 years ago

You know, no matter where you go on the net forums, there is a forum atmosphere that differs from forum to forum. But always, there comes along a new person who doesn't quite like things as they are and starts complaining and trying to change the customary style of the forum. Happened here a while ago. Somebody didn't like the idea of OT posts in with the quilting posts and got all active about it. She got some flak over it, and moved on, leaving us now with this mess.

Why these people can't just back out of a post they are not interested in, or ignore posts titled OT, is beyond me. Oh, well, life's too short. I've got too many quilts to make to spend time engaged in cyber squabbling.

Marti in Mexico

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia