Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joellencox

Foundation by the yard

joellencox
16 years ago

Has anyone ever used this product?? If so did the circled numbers on the muslin show through on your light fabrics?? if so, how did you handle this???

I just finished about 20 squares for the Hunter's Star and am frustrated that I wasted time and fabric on a project that I can never use!!!

Comments (9)

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

I'm not sure of the product, but wouldn't the markings wash out after the quilt is washed? Is there a brand name along the edge that you could do an internet search on for information?

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

I haven't used it either, but I too would think it would wash out. I couldn't find anything on the internet. Does the package say what to do? If not, I'd contact them and ask about it.
    Good luck!

• sew_self-taught
    16 years ago

Hi joellen -
    I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, I hope it all comes out okay. I just wanted to say welcome!

Nina

• joellencox
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did wash it and it did not come out even the slightest. Have e-mailed the company with no reply yet! The picture on their website shows a quilt (pineapple) that has light colors in it also!They could have just as easily made the printing way, way lighter maybe in grey or cream that would not show through, this printing was dark green!!

So sad--'Cuz the quilt was so cute!

• joellencox
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The company e-mailed me back---the foundation printing does not come off---they recommend using 2 layers of fabric and they instruct to sew on the opposite side of paper piecing.
    Now that the quilt is done, they suggested that I cut away the underside where it shows--good for me---at least the whole quilt isn't ruined!

• nana24
    16 years ago

So glad you found some solution.
    I enjoy paper piecing but have never bought preprinted foundation although I have heard of it. I have always copied mine on the printer. Recently, however, someone suggested if we are making many of the same blocks we can stack the papers and perforate it with by sewing with a needle and no thread on the lines. I wish I remember who said this because I sure want to say thanks. I have used it on 2 patterns already. It is also easier to remove than the paper usually is although I use a very small stitch. I just use a regular stitch to make the pattern.

Good luck with your quilt. Post a picture for us.

Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks for warning us. I would be really upset with the company. Glad you could save the quilt.
    Rosa

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Welcome, joellen!

Thanks for sharing. I have foundations for Hunter's star, too, but haven't used them yet. You probably saved me much frustration by posting.

Sally, I'm pretty sure you thanked me for the perforation suggestion; I'm so glad it's working for you.

Cheryl

• anita_q_com
    12 years ago

All foundation piecing is done on the back side of the marked fabric. If the fabric is muslin, it shouldn't show through on light colored fabrics.

I know that this was a very old post, but it might help someone at some time.