Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation by the yard

Posted by joellencox (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 15:58

Has anyone ever used this product?? If so did the circled numbers on the muslin show through on your light fabrics?? if so, how did you handle this???

I just finished about 20 squares for the Hunter's Star and am frustrated that I wasted time and fabric on a project that I can never use!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation by the yard

I'm not sure of the product, but wouldn't the markings wash out after the quilt is washed? Is there a brand name along the edge that you could do an internet search on for information?

o

I haven't used it either, but I too would think it would wash out. I couldn't find anything on the internet. Does the package say what to do? If not, I'd contact them and ask about it.
Good luck!

o

Hi joellen -
I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, I hope it all comes out okay. I just wanted to say welcome!

Nina

o

I did wash it and it did not come out even the slightest. Have e-mailed the company with no reply yet! The picture on their website shows a quilt (pineapple) that has light colors in it also!They could have just as easily made the printing way, way lighter maybe in grey or cream that would not show through, this printing was dark green!!

So sad--'Cuz the quilt was so cute!

o

The company e-mailed me back---the foundation printing does not come off---they recommend using 2 layers of fabric and they instruct to sew on the opposite side of paper piecing.
Now that the quilt is done, they suggested that I cut away the underside where it shows--good for me---at least the whole quilt isn't ruined!

o

So glad you found some solution.
I enjoy paper piecing but have never bought preprinted foundation although I have heard of it. I have always copied mine on the printer. Recently, however, someone suggested if we are making many of the same blocks we can stack the papers and perforate it with by sewing with a needle and no thread on the lines. I wish I remember who said this because I sure want to say thanks. I have used it on 2 patterns already. It is also easier to remove than the paper usually is although I use a very small stitch. I just use a regular stitch to make the pattern.

Good luck with your quilt. Post a picture for us.

Sally

o

Thanks for warning us. I would be really upset with the company. Glad you could save the quilt.
Rosa

o

Welcome, joellen!

Thanks for sharing. I have foundations for Hunter's star, too, but haven't used them yet. You probably saved me much frustration by posting.

Sally, I'm pretty sure you thanked me for the perforation suggestion; I'm so glad it's working for you.

Cheryl

o

• Posted by
    Anita
    (anita@q.com) on
    Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 17:40

All foundation piecing is done on the back side of the marked fabric. If the fabric is muslin, it shouldn't show through on light colored fabrics.

I know that this was a very old post, but it might help someone at some time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here