Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with measurements..

Posted by caroline1947 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 15:01

My mom bought me the square in a square book, and if I dont get help its going to be a waste of good money. She uses formulas i dont know how to calculate.Ill type the exact directions,maybe someone can give me the measurement I need.

Multiply the desired cut size of the HST by 1.414 and add 1/2 inch to get the size of the center square.Round to the nearest 1/8 in.
My cut size is 3.5 inches. I am lost. My calculator says 4.949,whatever that means,and thats before I add 1/2 inch which I dont even know how to do.Can anyone help?? THANKS!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with measurements..

Caroline,
This may help:
1/8 = 0.125
1/4 = 0.25
3/8 = 0.375
1/2 = 0.5
5/8 = 0.625
3/4 = 0.75
7/8 = 0.875

I will try your calculation. I am not familiar with your block and don't know what it is calculating but according to your instructions:
3.5 x 1.414 = 4.949
4.949 + 0.5 = 5.449
rounding to the nearest 1/8 gives you 5.5"

I hope I understood the instructions right.
Vasu

o

TY Vasu, Ill try that...

o

Caroline, Are you making a Square in a Square block from your Half-Square Triangles?

Here's another couple of ways to make them. I think the corner triangle (squares in the corner) method is easiest and doesn't give the seams in the center block like the HST's do. (jmo of course)

Hope this helps......

SharonG/FL-still in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: square in a square

o

Geezer, its just the opposite. The HSTs come from the square in a square. I think I just about have it figured out. I will never buy her books again. They are very hard to understand,then she has a video to help out. The book is really hard unless you get the video,,,sales gimic in my opinion..Grrr!!!

o

Caroline, I think there are easier ways to make a HST. Take the size of the finished block, add 1 inch, cut a square of each fabric that size, put them right sides together, draw a line from corner to corner, sew a scant 1/4 inch from each side of the line and cut on the line. Open up your fabric, press and square up. I even chain-sew when I do them.

I'm glad you posted about this problem as this let's the rest of us know about this book. You might want post the author and actual title of the book so we will know to watch out if there are other books by this author.

SharonG/FL-MI

Here is a link that might be useful: HST tutorial

o

I have made hundreds of hsts...Just was trying all the options with the Square in a Square ruler...not sure I want to name authors on here, but the S in a S title will give you a clue..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here