Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redpenny_gw

Paint colors... what's your color?

redpenny
16 years ago

Well I was wondering what paint color everyone has in their living room......I can't deal with all this techinical stuff so I posted this... pics would be great too!

Red

Comments (23)

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

I have a real simple wall color plan.
    Upper level: a pale honey-nut yellow
    Mid level: a pale peach, have to look at the ceiling to see it's not white
    Lower level: a pale mint green

That's walls & trim - didn't want the space visually cut up by different colors.

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

LOL!!!! I still have "BUILDERS WHITE" but plan to change this in the fall

HA!! Its called "Silver Feather" LOL!! ITS WHITE!!!
    I coud not deal with picking out colors at the time .
    Thats been 8 yrs.

• sue7972
    16 years ago

I have red, it's a full spectrum version of Ralph Lauren's Hunting Coat Red. I love, love,love it!

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Red , go on the home deco site on the GW they have pics and all kinds of good ideas.

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: decor

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

We have a peachy/pinky color. It came with the house and we haven't changed it yet. Then the carpet is a light (very light) mauve. All together it is pretty yucky.

Vicky

• love2sew
    16 years ago

I have a yellow with a bit of green undertone. I really like it especially in the winter...the room is never dark...I also have a lot of dark wood furniture.

Have you purchased your new sofa/loveseat yet? Furnishings usually dictate what colors will work. Yes, the decorating forum should have some good suggestions.
    Jean

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Used to have a pale dusky pink living room, but here in CA, all the walls of all the rooms are "Arizona white"! I am longing to have a room with sunny yellow walls, natural wood for some of the furniture, and lacy or embroidered white-on-white curtains. Someday maybe DH will let me and I'll get around to doing the painting. But it would probably be a bedroom and not the living room. That cathedral ceiling is too high.

• coalaska
    16 years ago

My living room is 2 shades of green, darker on the walls with the window and fireplace, lighter on the walls leading to the hall and dining room. The dining room continues with the lighter color on 2 walls, and the other 2 an even lighter shade.

I had post partum depression while choosing colors, lol. Actually, we really like it, and it works with the natural light coming in.

{{!gwi}}

The pic is in the guest/sewing room, but it's the same color as the medium green in the other rooms. (And the pillowcases I made today!)

Cheryl

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well right now my walls thru out the house are white except the bathroom it is a green shade and the kitchen is black and white....!These rooms are very small so I really don't want to paint them a dark color.....I bought his slipcover for a loveseat and I have a brown chair and a dark mauve chair so I may just go with a antique white LOL...

{{!gwi}}

• coalaska
    16 years ago

The slipcover is beautiful! I like the color in the background of your pic--not too dark and adds warmth?

Cheryl

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Our family room is a light taupe/tan as is most of the house with the exception of a dark green (hunter green?) accent wall in the living room and a light but smokey green in the mast bedroom. My husband's office is a mustard yellow.

When we were looking at homes we wanted to rent instead of buy, and we looked at a lot of places and never felt inspired. When we walked into this place we immediately loved it heads and tails over the rest -- and I think the colored walls, as opposed to white, were one of the main reasons. It gives it a more cozy feel, IMO.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Last year we painted the main part of our house Benjamin Moore "Blonde Wood". It's a great color and looks really good with dark woodwork. The bathroom is Antique White and has a really pinky undertone that I would not want in the living room but iw okay in the bathroom. Downstairs is Philadelphia Cream which looks really pale yellow in sunlight but a little bit more beigey in artificial light.

We have done so much painting in the last year I consider myself an expert on paint colors. It's really worth getting the little paint samples from Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams and trying them out on your walls to see how they look with you fabrics and rugs. They look very different from the little swatches.

• dragongoddess
    16 years ago

Redpenny - Go look at Behr paint brand colors... We have a similar colored couch, and there are several very soft beigy colors that would go great with it... I think ours is called sugar cookie. There are over 700 colors, but they are grouped together - it's like matching fabric swatches. I chose the color for the living room (as my mother could care less) and it is called something like Morning sunrise - cream with a very delicate pink undertone. Goes great. I have 30 purple shades on my desk, to compare against the fabrics I'm ordering to make the duvet cover - i'm considering quilting one (just the top quilted to very light batting, and then buttons to close the top to the backing around the duvet). I'm thinking scrappy purples and lavenders.

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

What a beautiful slipcover, Red! And the pillows, too!

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

It is a beautiful slip cover. We moveed in at the end of the year so we have JUST painted the living room and 2 bathrooms.
    We went with a soft yellow in the living room and white trim. I wanted a soft color so I could spice the room up with bright accessories.
    DH wants turquiose in his room!!!!
    Rosa

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

I think my house is very boring...Most of my rooms are white, living room is beige, 1 bedroom is Mauve and the other a golden/yellow...NOW the main bathroom, is my favorite...It's white but I stenciled shamrocks around the walls, all my assessories are green, towells etc. and I even cross stitched a green tabby cat for the wall...Other than that, boring!
    Dorothy

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Red. you should look at some colors for your new room....you will never regret it....I also like the yellow/gold in the picture with the love seat cover. It would give a room warmth and color also helps to blend different pieces of furniture.

My most favorite room in my house is my back entry...a decorator helped me pick the colors. We had installed new flooring, a small pattern of squares in beige, grey, pinkies...I wanted a med beige color and she picked a cinnamin for the celing and down to the top of the windows and one door. Rest is a taupy grey and I have a border where the two colors join that has green, grey & taupe in it. The trim is cinnamin....it is a great room and having a darker color on that high ceiling over the stairway is so great...I never get tired of this room....maybe because I painted it.hehe

This is a great thread and I enjoy reading what you have done with your home or special rooms.

My DH, DD & I painted 15 gallons last year exterior of garage, house & fences....I am not painting this year!
    Jean

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

I always laugh because my DH is/was a painter and our house was always the last to get done....I'd say, the living room needs painted and he's say, it was just done 2 years ago and it was more like 8...You know what they say about shoemakers kids going barefoot....One time DH was going away for a week and I decided I'd do the hallway and steps and see if he noticed...Well, I got my painting done, along with covering 2 of the cats and would you believe not a word was said....But the kicker, I was away and when I got home, DH announced that he had painted the hallway and the steps...Needless to say, I guess it didn't really didn't need done in the 1st place....
    I'm going to have to look around, I might just find something that needs painted....
    Dorothy

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Red,

have you decided yet?

Cheryl

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Finally tonight we bought paint LOL.......I got a off white color...my floors are hardwood but they are stained green..
    so I really didn't want to go with colors on the wall that may clash with the floor....
    Jean, I would love to see a pic of that room.......
    right now my living room is a mess......we did order a new
    coffee table and side tables...They are glass and wrought iron....the coffe table is oval and the lamp tables are round....I also ordered a glass TV stand....I am trying to do away with all the wood..........We also ordered a small glass dining set.......I went with glass to give the room a more open look.......I have my eye on a pretty rug that would look great under the glass dining set....looking for a throw rug for under the coffe table.....Dh seen a burgundy rug LOL.......I told him NO.............
    I can't see a burgundy rug on green floors............
    I am looking for a more taupe or tan with accent colors....
    through out the rug............
    I know I will be glad when this is finished..........
    Red

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Red, you are making some real progress and the glass will offer a more spaceous appearance....you have good taste. I will send you a pic of my favorite room but today it is over 100 AGAIN....and I'm not about to drive across town to upload pics...maybe in a couple days.
    Jean

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Red, I think your color choice is perfect. Your living room sounds absolutely beautiful. Isn't it fun to redo a room?

Cheryl

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area