Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barker_tx

OT - Hubby's cancer

barker_tx
16 years ago

Rusty was diagnosed April 19 w/malignant tumor on esophagus. We went to M D Anderson 4/30 to meet oncologist who scheduled more tests and on May 24 we were advised it was stage III (had not spread to organs), was thru esophagal wall, and very near aorta.

Treatment plan is 28 days chemo/radiation (that ends July 26) and hopefully that will 'get it all'. There may be some involvment of nearby lymph nodes. There was a 2 week span when he could not get any nutrition down by mouth, and is slowly getting a little down by mouth again. They had inserted a PEG feeding tube, so he is slowly regaining some of the weight he lost (35 lbs).

We are taking this day by day. He goes five days a week (65 miles RT), but I am blessed that my insurance is paying for everything ... we are only out of pocket parking, tolls and fuel. We have had several 'rocky' weeks, but he is feeling pretty good right now. Of course, there are still 3+ weeks to go so he may have more 'rocky' weeks.

I am the one in the family that everyone calls when anything goes wrong and I simply had to tell them I couldn't deal with their problems right now since my 'hands are full'.

Esophageal cancer is very sneaky....and the symptoms are usually not bad enough for anyone to go to the Dr. until it is stage III or IV. Rusty had a cousin die of this 2 years ago - in October she could only swallow liquids but "didn't want to get it checked out until after the holidays"...that cost her life. She was diagnosed in January, they did surgery to remove the tumors/open up her throat, she then got pneumonia. Don't know for sure, but I suspect she was actually stage IV (pallative treatment is all they can do) It usually is found in age 50+ and only 15000 cases are diagnosed a year. The survival rate at Anderson is 70% survive 5 years for stage III.

If you know/hear of anyone with pain in the chest, swallowing problems, 'think might have heart problem but heart checks out OK', urge them to have an endoscopy. You might save their life.

If anyone has any questions regarding how this was diagnosed, what the treatment is like or anything else, plesae either post your question here or send me an email at cmsmarks (at) yahoo (dot) com of course, you need to remove the space, insert the correct symbol and removed the ( )

Carolyn

Comments (16)

• amazingcm
    16 years ago

((Carolyn))) grace

• noocha
    16 years ago

Oh Carolyn! I'm so sorry to hear what you both have been going through. Glad you shared it with us. You can bet we will all be praying for you, thinking about you, wishing we could do more than we're doing,etc. Keep your strength up, girl. Tell your hubby he's got some folks praying for & thinking about him.

• grammyp
    16 years ago

((Carolyn)) I know exactly what you are going thru and your advise is so important. My FIL had it and denied any problems and refused to see a dr till he could barely swallow anything. He had to have his esophagas and most of his stomach removed, then chemo. I am so glad your hubby went before it spread. I will certainly keep you in my prayers. Please be sure and take care of yourself, it is so easy to tire out.

beverly

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this. Glad you had the sense to let folk know that your hands are full. I will hold you both in the Light.

• colleenny
    16 years ago

Carolyn, I will be praying for you and your DH that everything turns out okay. Hugs. Colleen

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

That's awful, but how fine of you to be thinking about other people at a time like this. Best wishes for successful treatment. It's good that your hubby is gaining back weight.

• Kathy_TX
    16 years ago

Carolyn - I'm so sorry that you and your DH are having to go through this. My prayers are going out for both of you.

I have a lot of confidence in M D Anderson, they're the best I know for treating cancer of any type.

Hang in there, and keep us posted.

(((((((((((((Carolyn and Rusty)))))))))))))

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Carolyn,
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Hang in there and know that we are all pulling for you and your DH. And thanks for the info.

• redpenny
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this.Carolyn, I will be praying for you and your DH that everything turns out okay!
    Red

• easystitches
    16 years ago

My love to you & your DH Carolyn, you will be in my prayers.
    I have a client with this cancer & he is doing well!
    He's had some rough times but is glad the technology
    is there to help. Jill

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

Know that you are in our good thoughts and prayers, praying the treatments do their thing!
    Lisa

• fran1523
    16 years ago

My heart goes out to you and your DH Carolyn. I'm glad you have good insurance and are able to access care at a really great cancer center. You are smart to take it one day at a time. I have some experience in this area so if you ever need to vent or ask questions, please email me.

Fran

• mona_lisa
    16 years ago

Hi Carolyn,
    sorry to hear about your husband. Maybe you should consider getting a caregiver to help at home. That's the work that I have done the past year waiting for law school to start in August. There are grants to help pay for you to get help at home. You need to take care of yourself because he'll need you to be strong for the both of you until he gets better. Remember, it's a marathon not a sprint and you should build a support group for yourself until he's well again.
    Prayers for patience and strength for you both! Love a lot, Laugh a lot, and time will pass a little less slowly, then one day...your doctor will tell you go home, he's fine, come back for a check up in a year!
    Mona Lisa

• ddavisgray
    16 years ago

(((Carolyn)))
    What Mona Lisa said about caregivers is a great suggestion.
    I see that you live in Texas. There is a progam here that called CBA--Community Based Assistence. It's possible there could be help for you there. You ususlly just need to have a need to qualify for their assistance. Something to keep in mind.

You're both in my thoughts and prayers.

doris=^.^=

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Carolyn, so sorry to hear this....you and your DH will be in my prayers.......

SharonG/FL

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Oh, wow. That's a big deal. I wish you all the strength to get through it.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County