Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline1947

OOOOPs!!!

caroline1947
16 years ago

Got a notice from the Garden Web peeps,,,,guess I posted too many OTs on there,so they moved me over here. Then I saw all yours too!! LOL!!! WE BAD!!!!Gonna take me awhile to get used to looking here,,,as I rarely do.

Comments (31)

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

welcome to the club! LOL I got 2 messages this morning!!!
    I'll be hanging out over here from now on!
    Lisa

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

I was just wondering what the hell's going on here. Someone seems to have taken the decision as to where we post completely out of our hands.
    Anyone who had read the comments from those who have problems connecting would not have done this. Did someone request this, do you think?

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

I had a message and I've asked for an explanation. I've directed them to the thread where we all talk about this subject so they can see that the majority of us don't want change.

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

If anything it was certainly brought up to the powers that be, and I did get an email this morning from a forum member who is dancing in the streets delirious with the changes. So, take it as it may! I for one don't care to be regulated, and singled out. I'm sure my days are probably numbered, but don't intend to go out quietly, as so many others have done!!!!
    So, really, it would seem that the best option to us now is to just post over here!

• coalaska
    16 years ago

This is kind of a mess so far. I saw that posts were moving, but didn't know which "side" to post a comment. Very ironic that _that_ thread is still on the discussions side. :)

Here's a thought: don't use "OT" and use a subject mentioning quilts. I don't think they read the posts, just the subject line. Sneaky, sneaky...

• amazingcm
    16 years ago

Okay my two cents again.. The originater of that post must have reported us.(I notice she has been posting this morning..) I have read through the rules and policies of garden web and can not see that any of our posts are in error.. I feel like having to come here to post it like going to the bathroom to tell someone something. If I were wanting just a straight quilting answer I would google it or buy a book... Well girls I will see you here in the bathroom for a while.. grace

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

well I certainly hope this potty room has more than one stall, as I suspect it will get pretty crowded in here!!! I'm looking for another type of potty room, where my words are not monitored and regulated and moved around. I'll let you know what I find. I was quite privileged to get an email this morning by a forum member, I won't divulge the name, as I have not asked her permission...here it is
    "I hadn't been back to the forum since the brouhaha....till this morning, when someone emailed to thank me for the original post and to say that she had finally gotten the nerve to complain! A quick visit showed that the 'powers that be' will apparently be placing the OT posts on the Conversation section....and, gosh, the forum looks great! All the quilt stuff and NO lousy husband/recalcitrant grandchildren/pray for me posts. This was not my original aim, but I must say, I'm tickled pink! "
    Now THAT is not the caring forum member type that I wish to be around....
    So, even tho the general consensus on "that" thread was keep it as it was, we have no say in how we would like the forum run. It is up to one person....
    my rant #2......this really has my blood boiling, one of these days I'll learn not to turn my computer on until I've had a full cup of coffee...
    Lisa-who is still here but waiting for the boot-going out kicking and screaming

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Is it possible to ask GW for another forum? One the way we like it and another "technical quilting" or something like that?

Islay, did you get a reply to your email in which you sent the thread discussing all this?

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Did you see which thread just got moved over here? This is pretty ridiculous, I think.

We could keep someone busy by continuing to post everything in discussions ;)

I'm all for finding a new forum. I really don't think there'd be much left here. Too bad.

Cheryl

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

I've got one, will get info out later.....
    if I can get back in..hehehehehe

• coalaska
    16 years ago

I'm back-pedaling a little here. (I've had breakfast) I really like this forum and the people on it. I'm concerned about "throwing out the baby with the bath water." After looking at other forum sites, I don't think I'd want to change just yet.

Cheryl

• caroline1947
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess i dont get it...whats the big deal about OTs over there????If I didnt want to read them I didnt have to. As for the person who decided to play Forum Police,,,,We will remember when her family gets sick or she needs prayer or comes upon hard times and needs some support.Quilters are humans and we share more than our love of quilting,,,,it all goes hand in hand.,,,I dont mind posting here,,thats not the point,,,but I resent being reported and made to feel like I have to go set in the hall like a kid in school!!!!

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

I don't get it. Why on earth would Grace's sprappy quilt be considered OT! I sure don't like the idea of all these friendships being torn apart over this. That is what will happen if half change forums and half stay here. What a shame!

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Oh please do leave the forum, I love coming here and sharing time with all of you. It is sad that that one person can cause such a riff amongst friends.

Bkfdwife - I would love to have received that E-Mail from Unkown(I think I know) because I would have just copied and posted it right on this forum. You don't need her permission...it is beware of what you write and send as it may be interpeted differently than what you intended...and it is your E-Mail on your computer.

I am going to post all my pics and questions over here on Conversations, I am going to send comment to GW in defence of our DialUp members and that majority supports everything in one spot. I hope others do to.
    Jean

• colleenny
    16 years ago

I just emailed them to complain about posts being changed around by whoever has so much time on their hands that they have nothing better to do. I'm sure that I will be hearing from them too. Do we have someone on this forum who is a computer nerd and could start a forum of our own? Colleen

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

spread the word

Here is a link that might be useful: come join me

• lots2do
    16 years ago

Now, now, I am really annoyed. I can not believe that someone would actually email Lisa and rub her face in this change. I really have gotten so much from this forum and I am so disappointed that this has happened. The simple fact that someone was so excited about what her actions have done really highlights the intent right along. It seems that the forum has been hijacked.

• noocha
    16 years ago

Good grief! What the heck is happening here? Y'all can call her you know who but I suppose you're talking about sandra_ferguson? She's the one who started all the trouble to begin with. And she/they complained to GW & had all kinds of threads moved here? What a crock!

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

Maybe we should just all post under "Conversations" and leave the "Discussion" area to whoever is causing problems for the rest of us. I don't like going from "room" to "room" cuz I'm old and I don't have enough brain cells left to dedicate to such trivial matters as checking all the rooms.

In the olden days, when women got together for quilting/sewing bees, I wonder if they had to restrict their speech to quilting/sewing matters.

I am a quilter, but that is not the sum total of my life, and because other factors in my life affect (either positively or negatively) my quilting, I think that anything I might choose to share with my quilting sisters is appropriate for this forum--provided it is not illegal, immoral or offensive.

I am hurt and offended that one person would have so little regard for the feelings of others. JMHO

• smokiescrafter
    16 years ago

I have a question!!! Everyone is saying that Sandra is the one that complained to GW, does anyone know for sure that she is the one??? As far as I know, it could have been any one on the forum, or no one at all. I do not know Sandra, only what I have read on this forum and her post. But I am trying to be fair. I do know from other forums I am on, they do monitor the content from time to time, and with so much discussion on this, they were bound to take notice.

I can skip the OT's when I want to, I also go to the conversations page and gallery to read items posted there. I do not agree with all the things that are posted, but that is life. The same as on the other places I belong to. They have a place for things and the members adhere to the rules.

I have enjoyed being a member of this forum, although mostly silent as I am currently not quilting, but have enjoyed reading a lot of the post and seeing most of the pictures. I am collecting ideas so when I can get back to quilting will have lots of projects to choose from. I would hate to see it all end over a trival matter as to where to post.

In reading the guidelines, I see they are broken on a regular basis, we are all adults and can follow rules, so what is the big deal. Our internet connection?? I have dial up, and still manage to read and see what I want to.

I hope this forum gets back to a normal state soon, we all adhere to the rules and all the backbiting stops.

Jacke

• coalaska
    16 years ago

FYI

She made a suggestion, many others made it into a problem.

Because of inflammatory posts on the thread, *others* who agreed with the suggestion complained to GW.

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

Well, I must say I am amazed I am still here! We'll see what happens tomorrow. So be whatever comes. Wanda, I agree, I think more and more will come to the conversation side out of fear that they'll be nabbed for any indiscretion now. That is sad. I believe that in the olden days, anyone that tried to restrict the topics around the old quilting frame was labeled "spinster".
    Most of the forum members feel like family. To be restricted takes any personality out of the forum. Look at it now on the Discussion side...boring! Unless you are actively looking to do something that is presently being discussed. The bright point was Dorothy's post about her cadets! Too funny!
    Anyway, I want to thank everyone for their kind words of support. You all have made me cry many times today!Jayme and I have both been so touched by all the emails that I have gotten today wishing her well. Thank you, you are an awesome family.
    If I get the boot, I'll let someone know so they can post that info for me. I am in two birthday block groups, but will finish those out and email the group representative personally.
    Love you all...(((((HUGS))))))
    Lisa

• noocha
    16 years ago

As far as I know, it could have been any one on the forum, or no one at all.
    GW doesn't just jump up & start moving or deleting threads unless someone complains. So somebody did.
    Cheryl, how do you know what happened? Did someone else tell you they complained to GW?

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

I don't understand what is going on. What thread are y'all talking about - if you will give me a hint I'll go search again. I remember a few weeks ago I think a few comments were made about the swaps & stuff but no one seemed to really care one way or the other as far as I can remember. But it wasn't recently & I couldn't find the thread.

Shoot, if you can post pictures over here as easy as Discussion, I'll post over here all the time. I never even look at converstations because it's another page to load & more hassle.

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Wow - I hardly ever check the "conversations" side - I wouldn't have checked here if it hadn't been brought to our attention on the "discussions" side. I don't plan to leave - this will all settle down, I think. We ARE the forum - every single one of us. If I want strictly quilt-related detailed histories and instructions about our hobby, that's why I buy books and subscribe to the quilt magazines. This forum has been all about friendship and fellowship and sharing, and it will be again! Maybe we need a fourth option: Discussion, Conversation, Gallery, and CLINICAL FACTS - Good grief!!!!!! (To me, it all belongs on ONE option - JMHO). It doesn't seem fair that the actions and wishes of just one person can be such a powerful catalyst for all this disruption.

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Lisa:
    Why do you think that person sent YOU that email? Did they think you would agree with them or did they know you would not and were deliberately being obnoxious? That is just so bizarre that they would write that to you.

LISA -- Also -- what emaild id GW send you that you posted that they said was inappropriate? Or were you talking about the one mentioned in this thread that a forum member sent you?

Jacke, FWIW:
    I have no idea who emailed the GW "Police" in this case and have no reason to suspect Sandra but I do know she has emailed them in the past when someone posted about a huge thread sale they were having. Posting advertisements is against the forum rules, and it REALLY bothered her. That thread disappeared pretty fast.

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

You can read what they / sent each other here. Remember to start at the bottom!
    PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING LINE IN ANY RESPONSE:
    GardenWeb mail response mc5248071126479579ec rosa

Islay,

I receive just as many comments from members (some also with slow connections) who do not wish to scroll past the OT posts. Just taking a 'poll' on the forum does not mean that everyone will voice their opinion. When the OT posts clutter up the main page, members must also spend more time loading additional pages. The best solution for everyone is to use the Conversations side of the forum for OT posts -- it works well for all of our forums.

Best,

Tamara

>>To: GardenWeb
    >>Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:51:51 +0200
    >>From: Islay
    >>Subject: Re: A Friendly Reminder...

>>Dear Gardenweb people,
    >>can you explain why you're moving all the OT messages over there,
    >>please? There are many people who use our forum who have very slow
    >>dial-up who really don't want to have to use 2 different forums - if you
    >>read thread about posting more quilting tips on the forum you'll see.
    >>The great majority of us do NOT want our forum to change. We consider OT
    >>to be part of the 'sewing bee' community.
    >>I look forward to reading your answer.
    >>Yours, Islay CORBEL.
    >>
    >>GardenWeb wrote:
    >>
    > >>>>PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING LINE IN ANY RESPONSE:
    >>>> GardenWeb mail response mc5248071126479579ec rosa
    >>>>
    >>>>This reminder is being sent in regards to the message entitled 'OT Lisa' posted by you to the Quilting forum at ths.gardenweb.com.
    >>>>
    >>>>The forum you posted to has an area for off-topic conversations. Your message has been moved to that area. In the future, please post off-topic messages using the form for that area.
    >>>>
    >>>>Please read over the description and instructions found on each forum as well as the user agreement.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/trans/agree.html

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

I know I should not complain about how GW organizes the forum because it's free. Contrary to what some people seem to think, having others post tips for our purusing pleasure is not an entitlement program or basic human right.

However... I use Delphi forums some and they solve all this by organizing the screen different. THey have a pane down the left side with items like "Conversatins" "Discussions" "Photos" on there. ANd you can expand and collapse those to see what threads are in them. Therefore you can see the thread titles for all folders at onces, or just one, etc. at your choice.

I also like that each post is specifically in response to another persons. So you scroll the whole thread like we do, but each post has a link in it to the it's commenting to -- and you can get notices that people replied to your post, even if you did not originate the thread. Very handy if the person you're asking a question does not go back in the thread and read everything -- they can still get notified that you posted to them.

• msmeow
    16 years ago

Besides a bunch of great friends, the thing I like best about this forum is that it IS only one page. I occasionally check in on the F&P forums, but they are divided up into such microcosmic groups that it's hard to know what you want to read. They have a separate forum for applique, antique quilts, art quilts, machine quilting, hand quilting, scrap quilts, etc. At least a dozen more. And then they have the non-quilting forums!

This is so easy - we're all in one place when we get together to visit!

Donna

• csackett
    16 years ago

I like the forum just the way it has been and stated so in the ominious post. OT means "Off Topic". We have all known that. I'm on dialup and it doesn't take any extra time to scroll down through the topics. Can't we all just play nice and continue to have a great forum. From what I've read it's gone from one complaining to who knows. don't let a few people ruin a good thing.
    Carolyn

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

"Besides a bunch of great friends, the thing I like best about this forum is that it IS only one page. I occasionally check in on the F&P forums, but they are divided up into such microcosmic groups that it's hard to know what you want to read."

Exactly! I am on a board like that but it has the option of combining all messages from all boards onto one board & I view it that way. When I was on dial up, it was waaay too much of a pain to go to one of the other sub boards just to see that there was nothing new to read.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH