Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryliz_gw

Idea: Decorate your member page!

maryliz
16 years ago

Since most of us use Photobucket or some similar image sharing service, why not use the photos to decorate our member pages with our favorite quilts, our fur babies, or our own mugs?

Just an idea.

MaryLiz

Comments (35)

• colleenny
    16 years ago

I didn't know it would let you do that. I tried and it wouldn't let me. Colleen

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just tried it, and it worked fine. (Go look at my member page.)

Maybe we need to give everyone an HTML crash course? It's really very simple.

Then we could have all the fun of the decorated pages.

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Maryliz - I like what you've done to your page - love your little quilts! And - love how you've been motivating and inspiring us lately!

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

I may add some more pictures later - this will be fun.

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, those of you who don't know a lot about HTML, we can teach enough to decorate your pages.

First, go to the place where you are able to edit your own member page.href> There is a "Personal Blurb" at the very bottom, where you can write something for visitors to read.

If you've never written anything that before, just type something to get started. You can always change it later.

Then, if you wish, add images from your photo hosting service. Go to the page that displays your images and the HTML code that leads to them.

Now you are ready to insert your images, wherever you like on your member page.

You do this by typing a line of HTML code. This is how you insert an image, in HTML:

(Note: I have to add spaces so that the web page won't try to display this line as an actual photo.)

Take out all the spaces except for the one between "img" and "src" -- those stand for "image source," by the way.

Now, put the URL of your photo in place of the "URL."

The URL will start out like this:

http://www.photobucket.com/ ... then the rest of the link that leads to your exact image. If you are using Photobucket, use the text next to "URL Link." If you use another service, it should be very similar.

Note: When I click in this field, Photobucket tells me that it has copied the text. But it actually has not. It might be the browser I use. When I paste, it has not actually copied. So I click once in the URL field, then press Control+A to select all, then Control+C to copy.

Then I take it to the IMG SRC line and paste it where it belongs. Just paste over the top of "URL."

After you click the button to update your page and then go view it, your image should be there for all to see.

Oh, and you are also going to need to know how to force returns. You see, the box you are given by GardenWeb will force everything to be one paragraph, unless you know one more trick. And that is simply to type:

(take out the extra spaces)

The "br" stands for "break."

You put one of those breaks wherever you want a return. So, for my page, I used two of them in a row to leave a blank line between paragraphs.

If you have any other questions, please ask. I or someone else will be happy to answer you. And then we will enjoy seeing your decorated pages. :-)

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

I just went to the tag line under my Photobucket pic, highlighted it, right-clicked exactly on the "http:" area and copied, then pasted it to the area in the "personal blurb" box, same procedure that I do to post pictures in the threads. I'm not computer-literate at all - just know this works for me.

• nana24
    16 years ago

Maryliz,
    Like your idea but will not try it today due to time constraints.
    I like both you and Scraphappy's pics.
    Scraphappy, I really like you little quilt-just my style. Was it a kit or something? Hope you don't mind if I take your idea and try to duplicate it. However it looks like hand stitched and I'd probably do it on the machine.

Sally

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Nana - The flower pattern was in some magazine I have - can't remember which - and it was a large quilt. I just used 4 blocks for a smaller version. Feel free to duplicate it, if you want. It was hand-appliqued - needle-turn.

• nanciii
    16 years ago

Mayliz
    your page is so cool I love it....Now I will have to decide what I want on mine since is blank...This will be fun.

thanks
    Nanci

• nanciii
    16 years ago

Thanks Mary Liz Idid it now its more cozy. I did not have a new pic of me maybe that will come later.

thanks that was fun.

Nanci

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Maryliz...this-is-so-cool!!! I put some stuff on my page. I just did what I normally do to put pix in messages, and it worked!! YEAA!!!

the tip about the breaks worked great! You are the new computer geek of the quilting forum!!!! LOL.

Thanks for coming up with this! We are gonna have the coolest member pages on the entire forum. I'll add a picture of myself when I can get one...I'm camera shy, don't cha know..and have none of myself.

Thanks again for posting all the info on how to do this.
    Woodsy

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Mine hasn't been updated for two years! I still have the same pics. Maybe I should play with it and update my profile.

Rebecca

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Thank you for starting this . I had no idea that we could do this to our page

got mine done ....go look!!

betty

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Betty - What a sweet-looking serious handsome young man! And I love your stack & whack!

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Thank you !!

• colleenny
    16 years ago

Thanks Maryliz. I got it. Colleen

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Colleenny , That quilt you posted on you page is just Stunning !!!!

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Betty...good to "see" you!! and your grandson is a baby doll!!
    Woodsy

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

I just added some pictures to my member page. I had a blurb written but I didn't know I could put pictures in. Thanks.
    Suellen

• bozogardener
    16 years ago

The chicken butt is funny, Suellen!

• coalaska
    16 years ago

MaryLiz,
    good idea :) I had fun adding some pics and a "profile." Is there any way to choose where the words end up (beside or below a pic)?

Sue Ellen, love the chicken pic--with you in it :)

Thanks,
    Cheryl

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Suellen, sorry about misspelling your name. You live in SUCH a beautiful place! Gee, how much do you miss LA?? lol.
    Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures.

Cheryl
    a grafted-in Angeleno, missing the fresh air and wide open spaces.

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

I put pictures on my page. I'm the old lady in the picture with my daughter tyeing the quilt. Thanks for letting us know we can put pictures here.

Vicky

• nana24
    16 years ago

Vicky,
    An "old lady" you are not!
    That is a beautiful quilt. It is so nice to have a craft you can work together with your daughter. My daughter says what mama does with fabric I do with paper. She makes beautiful cards, memory books and just all things paper. We do plan to make aprons for her friends for Christmas. She lives 4 1/2 hrs away and that makes for difficulty in getting together to sew.
    This week my goal is to try and put a picture on here. It is always so nice to put a face to a name.

Sally

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

Vicky- I didn't see any old lady on your page. I saw two beautiful women and a wonderful quilt

Cheryl- Glad you liked the chicken butt pic. I thought it was funny too. No, I don't miss LA.
    I do miss my friends. Went back to LA and was overwhelmed. You have a cute Kid. The quilt is beautiful.
    Suellen

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Suellen, were you in LA itself? or somewhere in the Metro area?

I get overwhelmed, too, especially returning from Alaska (or simply in 4pm traffic)

Cheryl

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

I lived in Sierra Madre for a couple of years right out of high school, finally came back to PA...I don't think I could ever live with that many people again...I love my peace, quiet and space!

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

ok Vicki are you the one on the right or on the left??

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To answer Cheryl's question, in order to put words next to a photo, instead of just underneath, you'd have to learn how to create TABLES. It can get complicated, unless you use an HTML editor.

Vicky--I just WISH my mom would have done stuff with us! All I remember is being forced to do chores, and since my mom saw it all as drudgery, so did I. That didn't last, fortunately. I kept my apartment tidy in college.

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

What a wonderful creative idea!!!!! I know I always visit the pages to see what someones name is and where they live.
    I am soooooo busy and I am having company for 2 weeks (I am so excited!!!!) but I plan to update my page too.
    Rosa

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Has anyone else tried this? Maryliz's instructions are very good (thanks, Maryliz).

Such a cool idea. We should post pics of ourselves, shouldn't we?

Cheryl

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Remember when we posted pictures of ourselves for Bon? I think it might be a good idea to include a picture of ourselves on our member page. That way, we can imagine each other's faces when we are corresponding with each other online.

• easystitches
    16 years ago

What a cool idea. I didn't know we could do this.
    It was great to learn more about so many of you!
    I'll try to add some quilt pictures to Photo bucket &
    have something other than my cats on my page.

I forget to come over here, but this was a great thread! Jill

• crafteedee
    16 years ago

Wow...I'm way behind. I normally don't check this part of the forum.

I did not know this could be done. But fairly simple really...if given the instructions. I did add some photos of stuff I've completed this year. It's a bit disappointing that you can't really "preview" your page.

Darla

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You preview your member page by going to it the same way everyone else can see it. If you see something you don't like, you have to go back to the place where you can edit.