Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auburnmary

Quilting

auburnmary
15 years ago

I have a quilt that has a burnt area and would like to know if taking that part out and replacing it is the best idea. The top and the batting is the area that is burnt and the back is still is place. I would take apart the area that is burnt and cut out new pieces and put it back together.... Any other ideas? It survived a fire and was made by a Grandmother from old fabrics that they had. Please advise!

Comments (6)

• day2day
    15 years ago

Hi,auburnmary. I can't help with your question but it might be a good idea to post it in the discussions section. Lots of times members don't visit the conversations area. Just click on discussions at the top of the page.
    ~Geraldine

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Hello Auburnmary, it may be possible to replace the burned area. Can you post a picture so we can see where and how badly it is burned? Depending on how it is quilted and the pattern, it may be necessary to piece the batting and applique over the burned area.

I put a link to your post on the discussion side so more people will see it.

beverly

• bluebars
    15 years ago

Conservators would say that modifying a valueable antique quilt would devalue it. However, if a repair is well done, and with period fabrics, I would think it would preserve the quilt and prevent further damage.
    Imagine a non-quilter would see the burned area and decide it was destroyed and toss it in the trash. If this is your quilt, and repairing it will make you happy as well as save the quilt from further damage, I would say do it! Even if you cannot find period fabrics, you could probably find some modern reproduction fabrics that will work nicely.
    BlueBars

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I'd repair it, using either vintage or reproduction fabrics and a batting compatible with what was originally in the quilt. You say it was made by your Grandmother from old fabrics. How old are we talking here?

Annie

• cmc_97
    15 years ago

There was an article in a quilt magazine a couple of years ago regarding making repairs like this - to a damaged vintage quilt.

The article was about using your scanner to scan fabric prints from intact parts of the quilt, then using your graphics or photo editing software to make the fabric patch larger (by copy and pasting parts of the print) and to adjust the color, and print test pages until the color matched the original fabric. Then print out the scanned image on a photo fabric sheet, and use the "new" fabric to patch the quilt, even creating new pieced blocks, if need be.

If I remember correctly, the repair method was to make up the piecing you needed to do the repair, put new batting in the spot (perhaps whip stiching the edges) then you applique the new "replacement piece" in place, with needle turn applique, so the edges of the replacement piece would look like seam lines in the original patch-piecing pattern. Then hand quilt the repaired area.

If there's one thing I learned from watching Antiques Roadshow is that to preserve any monetary value in a damaged item, any repair or conservation work should be reversible -- and certainly, another 100 years from now, your great-great-grand-daughter would be able to remove your patch with a simple seam ripper and replace it with something else, if need be. Although I realize that monetary value is not really the issue here.

CMC
    PS: I would NOT use any fusibles to do the repair work.

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

If it was old & or of potential value even if only historically, I might try to contact & consult w/ a Textile Dept. at a Museum of some kind. They could most likely give solid advice abt reversable repairs & potential impact on value.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA