Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love2sew_gw

A Bouquet for you!

love2sew
16 years ago

A pictures of some of my periannuals I am sending to those of you who are unable to have a garden spot. Have a great day!

Jean

Comments (24)

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Thank you so much Jean. It has been so dry here nothing much is blooming. Love the irises.

beverly

• ironkit
    16 years ago

LILIES!

I miss my lilies.

Thank you for sharing.

~ Kit

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Your lupines are just gorgeous! This is the first year for mine, and they didn't do much. Love the unique color of your irises too, kinda salmony. My daisies will be opening in another week or so. That huchera is huge! And, what may I ask, is gonna come up in the tomato cage??
    Your perennial bed is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

• noocha
    16 years ago

Jean,
    Those are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

• maryliz
    16 years ago

How nice of you. THANK YOU! It feels good to just sit here and look at those gorgeous flowers. :-)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Thank you, Jean! I do miss the abundance of blooming flowers!

SharonG/FL

• love2sew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am so glad you enjoyed the pictures....and I am by no means a master gardener....stuff lives by shear hardiness.

Woody, my friend grew the lupin (1 plant) from seed 2 yrs ago. I planted it, mulched it, give it lots of bonemeal in the fall, never disturb it...oh it loves water and mine is right under the drain pipe. They do not have a long live span...maybe 4-5 yrs. I counted over 15 spikes this year so I have to show her this picture. There is a fall daisy growing in that cage. It grows quite tall and the stems fall over easily in the wind...so I'm ready! By the way, what is a huchera? If it is the Iris, it is a German variety and each flower is as big as a fist.
    Jean

• lots2do
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing your beautiful blooms with us. I had three spikes on my pink lupine this year and may try to planting the seeds. Does your friend have any advice on that?
    Thanks,
    Kelly - NH

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Jean
    I have a garden spot, thank you very much, and I am still jealous LOL!!!!!!!!!
    It is very dry for us the in south and we are on severe water restrictions.
    Sooooooooooooo, we have let the grass go and I am still watering the few plants I have planted.
    I love all types of plants and working in the garden, DH is from Arizonia (desert and dry) and he dislikes gardening with a passion and wants to cement everything!!!!!
    We have been married for almost 7 years and I would buy and plant my plants while he was away from home. I finally wore him down (or he just gave up) and he planted 2 magnolas in our front yard.
    Thanks for posting your beautiful flowers.
    Rosa

• kathryni
    16 years ago

Jean,
    Thanks for the beautiful pictures of your garden! I don't have a green thumb but I love any kind of flowers and pictures of them. I do have a large Magnolia in my front yard that has fragrant white blossoms and two crape myrtles that will be blooming soon. I would love to have a perennial garden like yours.
    Kay

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

the huchera, if that's what it is, is the purple leaved plant on the other side of the tomato cage from the irises. It's also called a lenton rose..that's what it lookes like to me.
    I have lots of stuff that falls over from our heavy rains when we get them, and I use tomato cages too. This year I bought peony supports, but I don't like them, they are too short and my flowers still flop. My evening primrose, and rose campion fall over too. I bought some small metal trellis to put in front of and behind some of them, and that helped some.
    My daisies finally opened!
    Woodsy

• love2sew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That purple foilage thing gets long shoots with tiny white flowers and I usually cut them off as I don't find them attractive. I like the colored foilage and that is important to a periannual bed. My flower friend has given me only a few pointers that have helped me.
    1. Don't overcrowd periannals, they need space around them...I used to fill in with annuals but quit and only allow a sprinkling of california poppies.
    2. Our growing season is May - Oct. so my periannuals will soon be finished. Don't neglect them...I start feeding a handful of bonemeal to each plant every 2 weeks right to end of Oct. I work it into the soil as this is how they prepare for the next year to have lots of blooms.
    3. Don't skimp on watering them even if they look half dead, they are not.. just going dormant and mulch will protect them during dry spells.
    4. They love mulch, compost and here we mulch heavily for our very cold winters and lots of water in Oct.
    That's about it and my plants are doing better. My flower friend is also a quilter and we share many cups of tea together.

I am so sorry about the dry season some are experiencing, but periannuals are the toughest to survive so do give up on any you have. Many of you have plants that I would love to grow so I love to see flowers from other parts of the country too. Thank you for your many kind comments.
    Jean

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Jean, thought I'd share mine with you. This first one is my shade garden, this is about half of the bed. This bed is a WIP and is about 5 years old. I love hostas. (I took this standing on our outdoor bar to get as much in as I could).

this one is one end of my front perennial bed. This is the second year for it. The daylily in the front, getting ready to open will be red. don't know how I ended up with so much yellow stuff! LOL. And I too have left room for things to fill in..and places to plant "gifts" given to me by fellow gardeners.
    Woodsy

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Jean, posted this about the time things went haywire on here. bumping back up to the top, so you can get a gander at my posies...:)
    Woodsy

• love2sew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Woody. I love your flowers....now it is sooo hot I can remember the cooler days of June when all the flowers were so beautiful. The heat knocks them down pretty fast.
    Jean

• chickadee__3a
    16 years ago

The heuchera is also known as Coralbells. Some have the bronze leaves and some have green. I wish I could send some rain to those of you who need it. We have had rain almost every day for more than 2 weeks. Woodsy, your bed looks great for only 2 years. I find that the third year after I plant something is the year it really begins to look good.

• nana24
    16 years ago

Some beautiful gardens. We have been in our house for just over a year and most of my flowerbeds are in their second season. We are having problems in our lawn and in the beds with a native weed that seems to have it's roots in the orginal soil. We didn't have it last year but it is horrible. My husband is going after it but it will be a slow process.
    Great to see such beautiful gardens. Gives me hope. My daylilies were really pretty but are almost finished.

TFS
    Sally

• nanciii
    16 years ago

Glorious.....Just glorious....
    :)

Nanci
    Three months, one week, five days, 10 hours, 27 minutes and 17 seconds. 4137 cigarettes not smoked, saving $589.58. Life saved: 2 weeks, 8 hours, 45 minutes.

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Woodsy - I love your hostas! We're in a hot, dry season now in Nebraska where I am, and a few of mine are really struggling, especially since we had some much needed pruning done on a huge pine tree that provides their shade. I'm thinking I may just pot them up next spring as they come up, and then I can move the pots around next year - think that would work? I'm just watering, watering, watering, until we get mandatory watering restrictions.
    Here's what it all looked like earlier this summer. (I've told our neighbor his garage does need painting - maybe I'll remind him this fall - after the plants are done). The trunk of the major shade tree is to the right, and some of my hostas are under it. To the right of that butterfly ornament are now a huge crop of yellow Rudbekia. The light-colored groundcover under the tree trunk just appeared a few years ago, but I really like it!

• chickadee__3a
    16 years ago

Scraphappy, your garden is lovely in spite of the lack of rain. I have potted up hostas to overwinter, but once they were in the pots I sunk the pots into the garden to protect them from the winter cold. I don't know how cold your winters get, but it might be something to think of. That light coloured groundcover looks like it could ge goutweed which is very pretty, but will take over your garden in time. Do you know if that's what it is?
    Hope you get some rain soon!

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Chickadee - I looked up goutweed, and I think you're right. I actually bought 2 or 3 plants a few years ago, (also called "snow on the mountain" and planted them in an area under two magnolia trees off to the right of the picture, and they slowly migrated to the spot you see. What's really been taking over my garden, and I've fought it for several years now - is "Queen Anne's Lace" which is SO invasive - I've been pulling it out of the yard, and the patio, and even the driveway!! My thinking of the hostas in pots was that when they appear in the spring, I'd pot them up, so the pots could be moved around following the shade, or would that be too hard on them? Our winters can get brutal, but they've so far done ok - it's the hot, dry summer sun that does them in, especially if the shade conditions change, as they did. Gardening is my second love, and I actually started on the Cottage Gardens Forum a few years ago, before I stumbled onto this one.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Scraphappy...your beds are beautiful!! Some of my hostas are struggeling too in the heat. But, I've grown them in full sun too and they did okay..but for full sun, I use the ones whose leaves have lots of white in them. The darker green and yellower leaf colors seem to fade in the sun. They will do well in pots, but as Chickadee says, you have to move them to a sheltered place or bury the pots for winter for protection.

I bought some of that snow on the mountain last year and put it in a shady place and it is very slow in growing to fill in the area. It's a horrible space bewteen 3 large trees where nothing else will grow...thought it would fill in and give some "light" to that dark space. I don't water it. It has to fend for itself where it is.

Queen Anne's Lace has a deep root system...to get it out, you have to dig it out! I have several beds where I let the flowering weeds grow along with everything else, but in the driveway and the yard...I draw the line there too. My invasives here are poison ivy and florabunda..but they are not in the yard!lol.

Loved seeing your pictures!!
    Woodsy

• chickadee__3a
    16 years ago

Woodsy, be patient with your Snow on the Mountain (also called Bishop's Weed as well as Goutweed)) It will take hold and take off, maybe a little more slowly because it's in the shade. It's one of those plants that can be great for problem areas if it's controlled or a nightmare if it gets where you don't want.
    Scraphappy, the hostas I potted up were some I had started from seed, kept in pots for 2 years, and then planted in the garden. I was curious to learn a little more so I Googled "growing hostas in pots". There are many sites with good info. Check it out. Also on the garden side of this site there might be a forum on hostas.
    We don't have Queen Anne's Lace as far north as where I live, but when we travel farther south and see fields of it we think it's just beautiful. I've never seen it in a garden--now I know why!
    Like you Scraphappy, my #2 love is gardening.

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

Queen Anne's Lace is a biennial. Stop the little plants the first year. Cut off the flowers on the second year plants before they seed and you won't have any in a year or two. Provided your neighbors don't have any.