Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillian_41

Would this be wrong

gillian_41
16 years ago

I have two very little used sewing machine to sell would it be wrong to advertise them here in conversation.

Thanks Gillian

Comments (7)

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

I say no not at all.

I think people get offended when a stranger comes to the forum JUST to sell things. But we all talk about what online stores we like and where we get good deals on thread, etc. How else would we know they're available???

But you also might look into CraigsList.org, http://www.quiltopia.com/, and the yahoo Quilters' Flea Market group -- you may get much larger audiences there.

Craigs' list is great 'cause people can shop in their area so shipping is not an issue -- which it could really ratchet up the price of a sewing machine.

Actually, I think it would be appropriate to put it in the regular forum, not just here. I don't think too many come in here. Could be wrong though...

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with that. and I also agree that you could put them on the regular board also. There are women on here all the time looking for used machines and we direct them where to go. I'd just mark the post Off Topic first...then I say go for it!
    Good luck...hope they find a happy new home!
    Lynn in PA

• maryliz
    16 years ago

It's just me ... babbling. Here are my random thoughts:

On this forum, people have given away books in exchange for fat quarters. But somehow, a sewing machine is different, since you don't want to exchange for fat quarters. You want cash.

I don't know what the webmasters would think. Maybe they wouldn't care at all.

So then, you just hope you don't offend one of the forum members. (That could get nasty.)

I wouldn't get worked up if somebody advertised something for sale ... just this once. It would be a problem if the advertisements just kept popping up. Then we'd hear about it from the forum member who gets sick of it first.

I would not try to sell anything on this forum. Maybe someday, I might offer to swap a book or a ruler for some fat quarters. But nothing bigger than that. That's just how I feel.

And I also feel that each individual is free to make up her own mind.

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

At the bottom of the page under the words Exchanges & Trading in very small print are more words - Terms of Service. First indentation of Article 6 reads:

Any use by you of any other member.s or site visitor.s information, personal or otherwise, for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, or to obtain direct financial gain (e.g. mass marketing) is prohibited. Any such use shall be deemed to be a violation of these Terms of Service. The GardenWeb Network is to be used by you for your personal use only. Commercial uses of the GardenWeb Network are strictly prohibited unless prior written consent from iVillage has been granted.

I think this means it would be a no-no.

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

I'm not sure of the legality of it all, but here's another thought...

Why not post a simple note saying you're trying 'to downsize' and if anyone is interested in details they can email you directly. This would limit the details on the site, shouldn't offend anyone, and if some is interested they'll contact you.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

I agree with Jennifer! That's the way to go. We don't want anyone reporting on you, Gillian. List your email this way:

youremailname at servername dot com (or dot whatever)

Maybe you will avoid spammers this way? Anyone know for sure how to post your email address safely?

• gillian_41
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well pleased to let you know the machines are sold and I am very happy will not be tripping over them in the closet anymore and didn,t get into trouble with GW.
    Gillian.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz