Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndawn

What is your favorite pot luck recipe?

lyndawn
16 years ago

I have so many family things I need to cook for that I just don't know what to bring anymore. i love to cook and I have my standard that I have to bring, but I always like to bring at least one other thing.

I have a green bean dish that I make and I usually take some kind of desert too. sometimes a second dish also. Just depends on what I find.

What do you take when you have a pot luck?

Lynette

Comments (15)

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

I like to make deviled eggs - they disappear in a flash. I don't get too fancy with them, just some mayo, mustard, pickle relish, s&p, and a dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper mixed with the mashed yolks and spread back in the whites. The other thing I usually take is homemade bread, either sliced loaf bread or a baguette, Mexican cornbread, or blueberry muffins.

• maryliz
    16 years ago

I go to a lot of potlucks for our dog breed club. The one thing we are always short on is green salads. There's always deli potato salad or pasta salad, but nobody thinks to bring a home made green salad. Oh, once in a while there's the "Japanese" salad with the ramen noodles, but I always make a huge salad with very fresh mesclun mix, and lots of colorful diced and sliced fruits and veggies, dried fruit such as apricots, and some crunchy things like sunflower seeds and croutons. I make a double batch of Good Seasons Italian from the little pouches, and put it in a wine bottle with a cork. I let them add their own dressing after it's on their plate, so that the whole salad doesn't wilt, if there are any leftovers. And there are usually are no leftovers, unless someone steals my tongs for another dish that didn't have any serving utensils.

I also make the broccoli salad with raisins, sunflower seeds, walnuts/pecans and bacon. I make the dressing from scratch, using mayo, paprika, salt , pepper and a little honey. I have had deli versions that were way too sweet. I use golden raisins, because the flavor is lighter. I toast the pecans, which the delis never do.

At a party, I once had a casserole made from sauerkraut, curly pasta and Swiss cheese. I asked the lady who made it and she said it had cream of mushroom soup in it. There were bread crumbs on top. They were nicely browned. I think one could add ham or kielbasa to make it a main dish. Maybe that's too much like green bean casserole, but it might be a good alternate.

Another green bean dish I make:
    Steam green beans until crunchy-tender. Shock in cold water. Drain. Lightly salt and pepper. Stir in melted butter with freshly grated garlic, to taste. You can add quite a bit of garlic.

How about a quiche or a fritata? Even a vegetarian version is quite filling.

• grammyp
    16 years ago

I seem to always be in the group to bring vegetables. Which is good, cause I have lots of frozen corn and peas from the garden. I usually make a large pot of just plain vegetables with cornbread or rolls.

When I am in the meat group I make a chicken casserole:
    Basic recipe:
    2 cups cooked chicken pieces
    1 cup cooked rice
    1/2 cup each onion and celery steamed to soften
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can sliced water chestnuts
    1/4 cup mayo

Mix together and put in 2 1/2 qt dish.

Topping:
    1/2 stick butter melted
    1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers crumbled

Mix together and sprinkle on top. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or till nicely brown and bubbly.

I never measure anything and quantities are not critical. I even add peas, carrots, corn or whatever strikes my fancy at the time.

beverly

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

If I'm asked to take a casserole, I make one called Cheesy Potatoes..they are frozen hash brown potatoes, mixed with lots of cheddar, and sour cream, cream of chicken soup. I have never taken home leftovers!

For a snacky thing, I make Veggie Pizza. Again, never any leftovers! They are eaten cold. Uses crescent rolls for the crust.. miracle whip, dry ranch dressing and a few spices to spread on the crust... and top with chopped up broccoli, cauliflower, black olives and cheese.

For a dessert, I make a Cream Puff Dessert. I use a big rectangular casserole, and the filling is made with boxed pudding and cream cheese and cool whip...it really tastes like the real thing. It is very easy to make sugar free too.

If you would like any of the recipes, just send me an email.(or I could post them here)
    Woodsy

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Post them here! We'd all love to have them.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Here is my Mexican cornbread recipe - my own version that I came up with. I can convince myself that this is a vegetable when I want to. :)

Mexican Cornbread

1 cup self-rising corn meal
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 t. baking powder
    1/4 t. baking soda
    1/2 t. salt
    2 TB sugar
    1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped bell peppers (or 1 4 oz. can chopped green chiles)
    1 8 oz. can creamed corn
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    2 eggs beaten
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2/3 cup buttermilk or regular milk soured with 1 t. vinegar

Grease a 9" square baking pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Stir all the dry ingredients together in a big bowl. Add in onion, bell pepper, and cheddar cheese; stir to blend. Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl (including canned green chiles if using) and add to dry ingredients, stirring only enough to combine.

Pour in greased pan and bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Cornbread is very moist and healthy for you - look at all those vegetables. LOL!

Teresa

• lyndawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! i am enjoying reading these and getting some great ideas (I think I'll have to make some for just us at home..hehe)

Woodsy, go ahead and post them here in case anyone else wants them. I will copy and paste them and save on my computer.

Now I'm hungry:)

Lynette

• love2sew
    16 years ago

I am also enjoying your recipes, different than what would be offered here. I am going to try some for myself to enjoy.
    Jean

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Teresa, Your cornbread and veggie recipe looks really good!!! And, YES.....veggies in cornbread....looks like a meal right there! I love it!!!!!!

SharonG/FL

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

Woodsy,

Would love to have your recipes if you don't mind posting them. Teresa your cornbread and veg recipe sound real good too. My mouth is watering. LOL.

Geri

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Here ya go!

Cheesy Potatoes (I wrote hashbrowns, they use tator tots!)

1 2LB bag Tator Tots
    1 can Cream of Chicken soup
    8 oz. sour cream
    Chopped onion, I use about 1/2 cup
    2 cups Grated Cheddar cheese (or more if you like)

Spray 13 x9 dish with Pam.
    Mix soup, onion and sour cream in a BIG pan. Add frozen tator tots and 3/4 of cheese to mixture. Stir to mix well. (that's why the BIG pan)
    Put in casserole, add remaining cheese to top.
    Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350. Uncover and bake additional 15 minutes.
    (I usually double this for gatherings and put in a 10x14 dish-our crouds likes to eat!!)
    Veggie Pizza

2 pkgs. refridgerated crescent rolls
    2 8oz. pkgs cream cheese, room temperature
    1 cup miracle whip
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. dill weed (this is the secret ingredient!)
    1 pkg. Hidden valley dry ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg. very fine shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
    Fresh veggies of your choice, chopped into small pieces (I use broccoli florets, cauliflower, and black olives)

Open the rolls, and unroll them on a full sized cookie sheet, pinching the dough at the perforations to seal them, to make one solid piece of dough that cover the entire cookie sheet, pat it and shove it around until it's all about the same thickness. Bake at pkg temperature for 9 to 11 minutes (just until lightly browned). Cool the crust completely.

Mix the cream cheese, miracle whip and spices and spread onto the cooled crust with a rubber spatula. Add your chopped veggies on top, and with your hands, lightly press the veggies down into the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Refridgerate until cream cheese is firm, then cut into 1 1/2" or 2" squares.

Cream Puff Dessert

Crust:
    1 cup water
    1 stick margarine
    1 cup flour
    4 eggs

Mix water and margarine in a pan and bring to boil. Add flour all at once and mix until ball forms.(this takes some muscle and a good strong big spoon!) Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Add 1 EGG AT A TIME, mixing each one thoroughly. Spread in a greased 13 x 9 or 10 x 14 casserole. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes..then lower temperature to 350 and continue to bake for 25 minutes. (the batter puffs up and comes up the side of the dish)

Filling:
    1 8oz. pkg cream cheese-softened
    3 1/2 cups milk
    2 3oz. pkgs vanilla pudding (or CHOCOLATE!!YUM)
    Topping:
    8oz. cool whip

To cream cheese, add milk then instant pudding. Beat for 2 minutes. Pour over crust. Put in fridge for 15 minutes to set up, then take it out, and frost it with the cool whip. Refridgerate until chilled.

Boy, am I hungry now!! I've copied the recipes from this thread, and can't wait to make them! Thanks everyone for sharing!
    Woodsy

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

Thank you for those recipes. Just copied, pasted and printed out. I have a couple of functions coming up that they will be perfect for.

Geri

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Thanks Woodsy. The cream puff desert sounds great.

beverly

• lyndawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you woodsy! I agree with beverly, I was some cream puff desert now...hehe. It's making my mouth water.mmmmmmm.

I have to quit reading the responses to my post before I eat. You guys all make me hungry and I don't have all the stuff to fix the recipes.

I am copying and pasting all these recipes now!

Thanks so much!

Lynette

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

You're welcome...I'm hoping to try out a few here this week too, while I'm off work.