Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_ferguson_gw

How about more posts on quilting tips?

sandra_ferguson
16 years ago

We seem to have a lot of new members right now, and I'd like to suggest that everyone try to post an email that contains something helpful they've learned about some aspect about quilting....a tip...a site with good information....a favorite site for fabrics.....ANYTHING that might benefit the other members....not under this post, but as a separate one, with an accurate subject, so we can find it later, in the archives. Lately I posted the instructions on how to make a perfect circle to applique, and that's the sort of thing it would be nice to have from everyone. Quite frankly, it seems there is less and less about the particulars of quilting, and that most posts concern family matters, swaps and games. There are a lot of members, so if everyone would contribute something potentially useful to others, to phrase the maligned Martha Steward, it'd be a 'good thing.' Hopefully these will lead to 'discussions' on other methods, for example, and in doing this we will all benefit from the experience and knowledge of our fellow list members....isn't that what these forums are suppose to be about? I'm not alone in being somewhat disappointed that the forum seems to be going in another direction.

Comments (78)

• lots2do
    16 years ago

I think that it may be effective to encourage new members etc. to post questions about techniques and whatever else quilt-wise that they would like to know. I know that whenever I have posted a question in the past, I have always received kind answers in reply even if I only had a few people responding. (And more is not always better anyway). Too much attention to differences of opinion in what should or shouldn't be posted may scare off more new people from chiming in.

I, too, would like to thank all of the people here who helped me through my rough time this winter. And I would like to thank people for being patient when I don't use an OT. I like to take the broader approach when it comes to a post being quilt/craft/fabric related than some might like.

• amazingcm
    16 years ago

I was not going to post to this but after reading all the replies I have to put in my two cents worth... I love this sight just the way it is.. Sandra maybe the reason people took offence to this subject is you seem to bring it up all the time.. I ask a question quilt related lately and I felt you bit my head off. (About stack n whack.) I have not been posting as much lately because I am afraid to upset everyone. But you know, I went to the stack n whack 2 day class and we talked more about other subjects than quilting. I did learn lots but it was not all about quilting. We talked about families, recipes, chocolate, cookies, cars, raising kids, grandkids and on and on.. It was all the things we talk about on here.. It would have been very boring if all we talked about was quilting for 10 hours. And I had to pay for the class... This is a free sight and you can just skip on by when the heading has an OT. Now that is my two cents... grace

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Thank you Grace !!

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Please send me the 'offending' comment I supposedly made about you...or stack and whack...or whathaveyou. I certainly don't remember it, and would like to read it as it seems to have upset you.

• amazingcm
    16 years ago

okay

Here is a link that might be useful: log in again

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    16 years ago

I have lurked for the past couple of years and have to agree that the content of this board has changed. At times days can go by without any messages that aren't OT, swap or bday block related. It's my choice not to participate in bday blocks or swaps, but if you are looking for quilting tips and pictures it can get frustrating not to find anything new.

I usually hang out on the Decorating board and thery have a very active Conversations section with very, very few OT posts on the main board. It works well for them but perhaps they are younger, more flexible, have high-speed cable or some other reason.

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

rnmomof2 -- you are the second person who has posted in this thread that you lurk in here a lot and are frustrated by the lack of quilting tips.

I am really confused by this sentiment. Why would you let yourself be frustrated by what others are NOT posting instead of starting a thread on a topic you'd like to know more about?

I completely appreciate the opinion of people who participate in the forum when they say they'd prefer OT be in the other folder. It's not my preference personally, but they have as much right/reason for their pref as I do for mine.

But I can't begin to wrap my head around someone coming into THIS thread which is now WAY "OT" from quilting and criticize what's NOT posted on the forum when they seldom -- if ever? -- contribute to the content.

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Some people just like to stir the pot, yes?

This discussion has come up at least twice in the 7 months IÂve been a member. I may be wrong, but I think the majority of people on this forum are here because they enjoy it--and the quilting bee feel.

I agree, Laura. Just for fun, can anyone find a previous page that isn't mostly quilting? Just because the topics aren't the quilting topics that interest you doesn't mean they aren't quilt related. Yesterday afternoon, I went back 120 threads; 90% were quilting related (108 out of 120Âincluding swaps). If you are desiring quilting knowledge *only*, why not Google or buy a book?

In addition, have those who are mostly lurking ever been turned away or refused a kind answer when they did have a question?

Grace's post brings up a good point. What's the use of bringing up quilting questions if we're simply directed back to archives? Where's the discussion in that? Ironic that Sandra wants these discussions, yet sent Grace to searching.

IÂm surprised at some who are uninterested or "Â sick of" OT threads. The women on this forum have been there for you and have been interested in your OT postingsÂlaughed, encouraged, helped, prayedÂwhether it was toby jugs, term papers, surgery, whatever. Yet when someone else posts OT, this is your response?

Wow, Sandra, be thankful for your excellent dial-up. I timed bringing up Conversations--with high-speed broadband--at 7 seconds.

btw: shouldn't this thread be in Conversations?

:)Cheryl

(because it's sometimes hard to tell in writing: no animosity here, just perplexed about this redundant discussion)

• allycaz9
    16 years ago

I normally do not add to these type of posts, but Cheryl, I just have to say "Ditto"!!! LOL

• cziga
    16 years ago

I am also fairly new here, but I wanted to add my opinion.

I think that this site is like quilting used to be like, before the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. Women would get together in a sitting room and quilt together. They'd talk about their families, their problems, share recipes . . . and at the same time, also talk about their quilting and the general and specific problems/techniques that they came across. Quilting seems to be both a technical and a social hobby and I think that this forum represents that very well. I'm very glad I found it, and I do enjoy the balance here. Sometimes it seems to swing one way, and sometimes the other.

I don't feel intimidated posting questions here, only sometimes I feel that they're such "newbi" questions that they've been covered hundreds of times before, and are quite obvious to everyone but me :)

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

"I don't feel intimidated posting questions here, only sometimes I feel that they're such "newbi" questions that they've been covered hundreds of times before, and are quite obvious to everyone but me"

We all started as newbies. I wouldn't be here now if I hadn't asked questions and learned how to sew years ago. Sometimes it helps to rephrase the question and/or the answer. Then it might click and all of a sudden you understand. I can't begin to tell you the number of times I have been unable to say something so that the other person got what I meant. Sure wish I could talk with my hands online.

What gets my goat is having the same person ask the same question over & over & over & over ad nauseum and not listen to the answer. If you don't understand what I'm saying stop me and ask for clarification. Don't just nod in agreement and pretend to get it. grrrrr

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    16 years ago

Laurainsdca, I use this board as inspiration for my charity projects and my daughters 4H projects. I believe it is our responsibility to come up with these ideas instead of asking for this forum to tell us what to make.

We haven't needed help with a specific quilting problem, but you never know when someone may provide a tip that could be useful in the future. I have on occasion given help when I felt like I had something to say that hadn't been said. Sorry if I don't comment just to see my name on the posting.

Perhaps frustrating was the wrong word. Disappointed to not see projects would be more like it.

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

I very much enjoy this group, the quilting help, the pics,and the friendships, that I have found here. I have found very kind and helpful people with good hearts. I would not know how kind if we didn't share a little OT. That's how you get to now each other.

P.S. I want to know when Princess Bella Arrives and her quilt is beautiful.

• anjea
    16 years ago

Cheryl - my sentiments exactly. Thank you.

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I am another one who likes this forum just the way it is. Not that I wouldn't welcome more discussions of things like fabric history, quilting techniques, and other people's funny mistakes! lol But like a few others who have commented here, I am at a loss to understand why some react to the posting of OT subjects here almost as if frivolous posts were *causing* a lack of pure quilting posts.

Sandra made a good point about trying to post more tips and the like, and I also intend to be more careful to put "OT" or "Pic" in the subject line. The people with dial-up deserve that much consideration. We suffered with very slow connections for 2 or 3 years, ourselves!

Rnmomof2: You wrote, "If you are looking for quilting tips and pictures it can get frustrating not to find anything new." Yes, I agree, but this is not a magazine whose editors are obliged to keep coming up with material for the readers.
    It is the "readers" themselves who are responsible for keeping the "articles" coming.

IMO, the main reason people post here is that they feel they are among friends and want to share all sorts of information. Take that element away, make the forum purely technical stuff and pictures, and its heart would be gone, and I bet there would be a lot fewer posts even of the sort that you prefer.

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

RNmomof2 perhaps you would like to share some of your projects with us.

• bozogardener
    16 years ago

I like to read posts from "newbies". Sometimes I have forgotten things, or get a good feeling by being able to help someone else start on their quilting journey. No question is "too dumb" in my opinion. Even if it has been asked before, maybe other newer members would like to see the topic again. If we were an actual quilting bee, we would answer the same questions over and over again, wouldn't we? This is an art that used to be handed down through generations, but that does not happen much anymore. When I started, I used the world wide quilting site for a lot of questions, until that became fairly inactive. I have gotten a lot of info off this site, and I still visit every day.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    16 years ago

Yes, I probably should try to share some pictures! But then I would have to become computer literate!

With kids home this summer, hopefully they will be able to upload pics and teach me how to post them.

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Rnmomof2: I'd love to see some of your projects, too! If your kids can just get the pictures into your computer for you, you can upload them to Photobucket for free and there is a way to insert any picture(s) you have in Photobucket into a message for this forum.

You just highlight the "HTML tag" address that appears in a small window under the picture in your Photobucket account, right-click and copy it, then paste it right into the message you intend to post on the forum. When you click on Preview Message, you will see your picture on the next page that comes up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket site

• ironkit
    16 years ago

I've given this a lot of thought.

It's not the quilting bee type stuff that irritates me - sharing of pictures of one's furbabies or grandkids. I actually like that.

What irritates me is all the request for prayer.

I've shared stuff that's off topic (health stuff, scholarship stuff) in discussions, where I could have just sent out emails to everyone, but I know there are more than just the few ladies' who's email I have that care. But I've also posted stuff that's off topic in conversations (asking for recipes).

I LIKE to hear about your great finds. To me, that's quilting related. Pictures of your grandkids, for whom you make quilts, that's quilting related! But I don't want to hear about every little bad thing that happens, really.

And I'll have quilting related pictures to post in about three weeks.

~ Kit

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

"What irritates me is all the request for prayer "

WOW !!!!

• noocha
    16 years ago

I like the site just the way it is. I'm on dial up & have a computer that is slow even without dial up. and when I say slow, I mean s-l-o-w. So I'm one that doesn't usually go to the conversations side of this forum. Until Lisa put the summertime swap over there, I hadn't been there in months.
    I appreciate when folks put OT or Pics in their title but don't get bent out of shape when they don't.

• Aunt_Net
    16 years ago

Being from the noman's land of Oklahoma, I wonder, who would get the say and monitor the site? Would they post in the thread "Not quilty enough! post elsewhere!" or send a private email and be polite? I don't like being told when, where and what to post or say and I don't take well to being scolded and embarrassed, as would be the end result if an attempt to change the forum were to take place.
    Would it be nice if more posts were placed in conversations? Perhaps, and perhaps this could be accomplished if we would post OT: state topic and ask for people to check conversations for the complete thread and to post replies there, this might help all of us get in the habit of a: posting in conversations and building up that side of the forum and b:checking more often, which would help all the way around. However, keep in mind that difficult connections or not, some of us have a hard time posting, when we do finally get the courage up to do it, the last thing we expect is to be chastised by the quilt posting police.
    I think this would be a great way of announcing Princess Belle's arrival, Lisa could let the forum know and still post all the pics that many of us would love to see.
    And just my two cents worth, I enjoy all the lurkers and newbies and every question they ask and I love the excitement they have about completing their first quilt project or the 300th project and getting to know people here, warts and all, otherwise I would NEVER have had a retreat in my home.
    Aunt Net

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

I like it just like it is .
    Its like a close knit family
    Funny , I never ever think of going on the other SIDE , only to this one . I guess a habit .
    betty

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

heh, would you look at that, all the cleaning and rearranging, and this stayed. Have fun with that....
    Lisa

• amazingcm
    16 years ago

That is my thought Lisa, I will be posting on the conversation page most everything I post so I won't be off topic. I visited the Craft and Decorating forum this morning did not find a discussion page and very few posts. I think that is what happens when you take the personal out of a site.. grace

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Did they just bump this over to this side now!!!!!!
    What is going on ??

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

this is Killing me that it was found to be OT and moved over here! hahahahahahahahaha
    oh my gosh....good thing I'm in the potty room cause I am gonna pee myself!
    hehehehehehe
    wow

• maryliz
    16 years ago

I'm just waiting to see what shakes out. It takes a whole lot more than this to steam my spinach! I still love to chat with y'all, no matter which side of the "controversy" you are on. :-)

MaryLiz

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

I copied and posted the email I received from GW on the discussions side. It was deleted. Got a second email "Posting messages in this manner is considered disruptive to the forum." They don't like their own mail?

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

They deleted the one I started too .
    just a matter of time and Iam out of here .
    If I would not be in a swap I would remove this forum from my PC . But will stay till is over .
    betty

• carlene
    16 years ago

Well well well I have not been on this site for awhile. But I do see that some things don't change.

It is shameful some have chosen to make History of many people whom loved this forum just the way it was!

A quilting Bee's a forum to all come together and it was done that way for centuries. Our families members years ago traveled by horse and buggy to share their interest of quilting and families. Today it is the Internet. Is is a shame that when someone made an post as OT that you couldn't just move on. When it comes to quilting so comes every thing and yes sometimes personal too! My expert opinion I feel if you don't like it get back on your horse and travel away!

Shameful that some show a total lack of respect for others and their loves and interest! It is impossible to please everyone but so very easy to respect one another.

The ones complaining are they also complaining to magazine subscriptions, newspaper, television etc. Please just enjoy one another, enjoy the time together and enjoy the fact that we are not all alike! Thank goodness!

• quilt_happy
    16 years ago

I am new here but have been on long enough th see this thread and some of the OT's. Good Golly Miss Molly get over it!!! If you don't like the OT ignore them and move on!! We all pick and choose the OT's we want to view, it's call personal choice!!

I understand someone voicing their opinion and even starting a post on certain topics, BUT to contact the powers that be??? I had to chuckle that someone would be so petty and small as to make an issue out of postings on the discussion side even though the post are listed as OT. The complaint is such a childish thing that I see with the CHILDREN that I mentor that have nothing better to do with their time than run and whine and be a tattle tale.

The complainer is enjoying her moment in the sun, possibly she (or he to be fair) is lacking in other aspects of HER life and needs to stir the pot whenever she has an opportunity. She has had her moment of glory!! Lets not give her any more power (as I would bet that she is lurking and watching the comments even though she is currently not posting as to appear to be disinterested). I vote for ending this particular post and letting her power die back down and hopefully we can all move forward and continue to be the "quilting bee" that we enjoy and that makes most of us come every day to share. If it means coming to the "conversation" to interact socially I will do so.

Power Be Gone hopefully you enjoye it while it lasted!!!

Joy

• noocha
    16 years ago

It looks like there were only 6 people who actually posted here that they thought OT posts should be in the conversations side of this forum. Six people? And they changed the whole forum??? What's wrong with this picture?

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

Self appointed Forum Police Noocha, apparently better versed than we are, and more willing to write complaining emails....

• nassongrad_nh
    16 years ago

I certainly hope that I am not being included in your "snippy six", noocha, for I made no mention of moving threads. Quite the contrary. And, having been banned from GW in the past, I would most definitely never snitch. Just so you know.

jd

• noocha
    16 years ago

Wait. "snippy six", I didn't say that. I said
    It looks like there were only 6 people who actually posted here that they thought OT posts should be in the conversations side of this forum. Six people? And they changed the whole forum??? What's wrong with this picture?
    Why did you say snippy six & put it in quotation marks?
    And, yes, you were one of the six who said you agreed with Sandra. Weren't you?

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

WoW!!! I am so sorry if I offended or caused anyone any inconvienience by posting an OT about my sons hospitalization,or showed a picture of my sweet grand baby.You know, I dont really mind that I might have to post those things in Conversations,,,,but I resent being "tattled" on,and dictated to.YES,Sandra, I have seen you snap at people and act condescending and act like you are the authority on nearly every quilting subject that comes up.And I still get my fabric at walmart,,,,when I was a Newbie you insulted me about that,,,,asking WHY anyone would get it there!!! Might be because some of us are less fortunate than you and cant afford what we want when we want,as you put it once.
    So, Im off to join the real people in Conversations,,,the ones who care about their quilting families and not just instructions and advice. I can get that at the library.
    I will probably visit the "old" forum just to keep up on new techniques,patterns,etc. But I was there today,and its just plain BORING!!!!!( This whole mess could have been avoided if you had just skimmed past the OTs if you werent interested.I do it all the time.One of the topics I skip is the boring quilt history.)I have met some dear ladies here ,but I dont much care to be involved in the Sandra Forum.To each his own.....

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Yes ," Snippy six" she is !!!
    I think she better read this thread again !! LOL

• susiequilt
    16 years ago

Well, as a newbie I am just extremely disappointed in what is happening here!

I am sure I posted to this topic but my post is gone. I guess I had nothing worthy to say! Sorry about that!

I have checked out so many other forums and this is the only one where I felt comfortable registering and posting.

Well, I guess it's true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease! 6 unhappy people, 50 or more happy people and now the unhappy ones celebrate. Doesn't seem right.

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Linda(Noocha) said:
    "It looks like there were only 6 people who actually posted here that they thought OT posts should be in the conversations side of this forum. Six people? And they changed the whole forum??? What's wrong with this picture?"

I Say:
    AND, some of those six, at least one that I can think of w/out re-reading, (Teresa, I think)said (paraphrasing) "I'd Personlly rather they be posted elsewhere but I like the forum and understand others want the OT here and just skip over them."

So people like her are not trouble mongers at all -- which means it's really LESS than 6 who have the bees in their bonnets. Though I do like that moniker == the snippy six. LOL. (Just as long as we don't include those like Teresa on the list.)

But whoever said the squeaky wheel gets greased is right. That's how life works. Admin people just want the whiny person to stifle. Too bad for the rest of us happily plodding along.

Can you guys on here now even IMAGINE working up the energy to contact the forum police?

One nice thing about the conversations folder -- I don't feel I have to censor my words in here for the benefit of those who really ARE made uncomfortable by controversy...!

• nanciii
    16 years ago

WOW, I SURE DID MISS THIS BEFORE I WENT ON VACATION.

Well I for one agree with Laura and the majority. This is totally stupid that you cannot pass an OT post. They are really the post that make us human and family.

I have been to other sites strictly quilting some have not had a new post since 2 yrs ago. they got so technical people left. Go check out have many dead quilting forum there are.

You should go to BLOCK CENTRAL they have hundreds of posts daily (DAILY) its a good mix of family , health, prayers, techiques and pictures. they have it all and have a good time doing it. There are swaps and games too. Its just too big for me. But I get involved there too great bunch of ladies.

I like the cozy of OUR forum like Aunt NET said WORTS AND ALL. I like the pictures the best so we can ask how to do things if we do not know. This forum answered all my questions when I was new, and I try to answer back for the newbies but alot of times all I can do is welcome the new folks since the question was answered. I do Not always read everything on the forum I skip over alot. I do not do all the swaps but I have done the birthday and siggy blocks and loved every minute.

The truly amazing thing here is: it more personal we care here in the corner of cyberspace. And for the person in the beginning of this thread who basically was here for info only and was not here for high school stuff, you could look it up in a book since you seem not to want human contact. We are like a quilting bee just getting to know each other...what is so wrong with that?

No one hardly goes to the gallery to post pics cuz noone ever goes there to look at them. That's why they are in Disscusions.

I vote to keep everything in one place like it is. That's how I am gonna do it.

Nanci

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

I agree with you Nanci . Thing are just not the same here .

I don't visit like I use to .
    betty

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I'm sticking and hope a lot of the rest of us will, too.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

The petty name calling hurt my feelings, I must say. But I'm not going to let the bad behavior of a few keep me away from this forum that is very special to me. My hope is that some people will eventually get done with their pouting and return to the better communication of quilting information and fun that we have enjoyed in the past.

Teresa

• colleenny
    16 years ago

Teresa, No one is "pouting". This comment was uncalled for. Everyone is disappointed in the fact that certain people went and complained about how they didn't like the way OT postings were on the discussions page. The majority liked things the way they were and the minority overruled them. Colleen

• nassongrad_nh
    16 years ago

Like all wounds, this one will never heal unless we all, repeat, all, stop picking at the scab.

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

Dad used to call it "beating a dead horse"

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I still check out this forum. It was my first love and got me quilting again, so I intend to stick around, but I am also enjoying another one that is less rule-bound about off-topic posting and am liking it more and more.

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

I'm like Biwako, this is the 1st place I check and it has inspired me to do more.I've always thought this forum was like a quilting bee, where good friends do get together and share not only quilting but whatever is going on in their lives. I hate to see what's happening....AND I'm guilty of OT postings but I always thought if you don't want to read them, just pass on by.....And I do want to hear about little Belle, please!
    Dorothy

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer