Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironkit

chicken recipes

ironkit
16 years ago

I'm here, pleading for recipes.

I've gone through all of the boyfriend's cookbooks, the two I brought with me, and all of one of his friend's cookbooks, and we can't find a recipe to agree on!

So, what are YOUR favorite chicken recipes!?

Thanks,

~ Kit

Comments (26)

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

dip in milk, dredge in flour with salt and pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper, dip in beaten egg, bread with ritz crackers crumbs that have some garlic and onion powder added, fry......
    wow....
    oh..you can oven fry too, 400 degrees, about an hour...less if using boneless breasts. then make a gravy with the pan drippings.
    were you looking for healthy? hehehe...if so, boneless breasts, sprinkle with EVOO, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper, roast beef seasoning if you have some, bake 400 for about 1/2 hour- 45 minutes. The secret is to take it out just before it gets done then let rest for 15 minutes

• ironkit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's probably my problem: the friend who's cookbooks I borrowed is diabetic; they were all healthy cookbooks.

That sounds gooood, by the way.

~ Kit

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

What kind of chicken recipe are you looking for? Chicken on its own or in a casserole.
    We eat a lot of chicken.
    I have a book that is titled, "365 ways to cook chicken"
    Suellen

• hayden2239
    16 years ago

We like chicken parmesan....chicken breasts rolled in breadcrubs, fried just a bit, then baked in spag sauce & cheese in the oven for 20 min - 1/2 hr, then serve over spagetti.

One of DH's favorites is a cheater recipe for left over already cooked chicken. I de-bone it, then mix it in with a pkg of Chicken Rice a Roni. For some reason he just loves it! LOL

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

Whole frying chicken with cajun seasoning rubbed on it. That is one of our favorites.

I also like to make fajitas out of it. Cut in strips and cook in garlic and ginger. Add onions and green pepper. Put on a fajita or burrito wrap and add fresh diced tomatoes and cheese.

Also, boneless skinless chicken breasts dipped in milk then dredged in ground up stuffing mix. One of my personal favorites.

Lynette

• cziga
    16 years ago

Chicken marinated in concentrated (frozen)lemonade with a bit of hot sauce, soy sauce and garlic . . . on the BBQ

You can just cut up chicken into bite-sized pieces and mix in an oven-proof pan with some pasta (small size) and any veggies you want (I use broccoli, asparagus etc). Then mix a can of cream of _____ soup (again, whatever you like best) with a bit of water to make a sauce and coat thoroughly. Bake covered for 30-40 minutes. Easy as pie.

Chicken Parmesan is a favorite here as well, and goes easily with pasta.

Chicken Cacciatore. Goes well with potatoes and a veggie side dish.

Chicken stirfry - just chicken, loads of veggies, a good sauce and maybe some noodles or leftover rice.

If you bake and tend to have leftover pie dough around . . . chicken pot pie. That's how I use up leftover dough from pie crusts after I bake.

In the summer I like Chicken with pesto sauce. I make my own pesto here. Also goes well with pasta.

Hmmm, most of these are lighter, summery fare and Italian-based :) I have more as well, if there is something more specific that you're thinking of.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

You all remember that I don't cook...right? Well, my favorite chicken recipe is a casserole...and we call it "Chicken Sh**". Into a 13x9 casserole add: 4 cups cooked rice. 2 cans cream of mushroom soup plus 1 can milk (more or less to your thick/thin taste). 1 or 2 cups broccoli florets. 2 cups cut up chicken (raw or cooked). 1 cup cheddar cheese. you can also add sliced mushrooms or whatever else you like. Stir it up to mix. Sprinkle Italian bread crumbs over the top. Cover with foil and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Voila!
    I'm diabetic. This has more carbs than I usually eat..but we only eat it once in a while. Using brown rice cuts the carb count down.

• merrymaryp
    16 years ago

Kit,

Here are my family's favorites. Perhaps you will find something you can use.

The Cherry Chicken Salad is so good, it makes a lot. It's my son's favorite, I made 5 recipes of it for his graduation party last year - that was not cheap but I got so many compliments on it and lots of requests for recipes.

The Masterpiece Chicken Breast recipe is my husbands favorite. It's wonderful to serve for guests because you can make it up early in the day and put it in the oven to cook later.

The White Chicken Chili is my daughters favorite. I love to suprise her with it. She just loves it. I do too.

Cherry Chicken Salad
    1 T.vegetable oil
    2 lbs. frozen boneless chicken strips
    16 oz pkg pasta Âmedium shells
    ¾ c thinly sliced celery
    ¾ c chopped red onion
    5 oz pkg dried red cherries
    4 c. baby spinach, stems removed
    1 c. curly leaf lettuce (optional, to line the bowl)
    1 ¼ c. mayonnaise
    1 ¼ c. Briannas Poppy seed dressing
    1 ½ t. salt
    ¼ t. pepper
    1 c. chopped walnuts

Heat oil over medium heat, brown chicken strips on all sides until juices run clear, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool. Cut chicken into cubes, cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions. Rinse in cold water. Drain. Combine chicken, pasta, celery, onion and cherries. Mix mayo, poppy seed dressing, salt and pepper. Fold 1 ¾ cups of this into salad, reserving ¾ cup. Refrigerate covered for several hours or overnight. To serve: Fold spinach and walnuts, add remaining dressing and place in lettuce lined bowl.

Masterpiece Chicken Breast
    1 package dried beef (2 ½ oz)
    6-8 chicken breasts
    6-8 slices of bacon, partially cooked
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
    1 carton sour cream (16 oz)
    1/8 t. ground white pepper
    Paprika (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut dried beef into quarters. Line dried beef in a 9x13 pan. Roll up chicken breasts starting with the short tapered end. Wrap each rolled chicken breast with a bacon slice. Arrange chicken rolls in pan over the dried beef. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour sour cream mixture over bacon-wrapped chicken breasts and bake 1 hour, uncovered. Reduce heat to 200 degrees and continue cooking for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika before serving, if desired. Serve with rice.

White Chicken Chili

2 cans great northern beans
    6 cups chicken broth
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cans mild diced green chilies
    4 cups diced cooked chicken
    1 1/2 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp cloves
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tsp ground cumin

Monterey jack cheese
    Tortilla Chips
    Sour cream

Combine all ingredients together except cheese, chips and sour cream. Simmer. You may stir in some of the cheese before serving. Works well in the crock pot too. Serve with extra grated Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips

Maryp

• ironkit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the recipes! Now, we won't argue about this anymore, 'cause now we haave to choose /which ones/ I get to make with all the chicken we have.

Lisa's is first tonight.

~ Kit

• Karen_sl
    16 years ago

Heres an easy summer favorite at my house...and I like it to cause its easy..
    We call it
    Chicken pasta slaw
    Cook chicken in crock pot, I do overnight then pick chicken from bones. You could do with breast too if you like.
    Add 1 package of sotre bought cole slaw.
    Add 1 # of cooked pasta, any kind will do.
    Then top with marzetti slaw dressing, we don't like too much. About 3/4 of a jar.
    Mix well together add salt and pepper and put in fridg till good and cold.
    I usually make this in the morning for the evening meal.
    We all really like it and its a cold meal for a hot summer day.
    Karen L

• csackett
    16 years ago

Sour Cream Chicken Enchildas

1 sm chicken, cooked and deboned
    (shred meat with a fork)
    1 onion chopped (added to chicken as it cooks)
    1 large sour cream
    1 can chicken soup
    1 med jar Pace picante sauce
    Flour tortillas
    Shredded cheese (your choice, I use the Mexican blend)

After you have drained the chicken (I save the broth for
    cooking pasta or beans) shred it with a fork and add
    about 1 1 1/2 cups of picante sauce. (just enough to make it
    not dry) Mix the sour cream with the can of chicken soup in
    a separate bowl. Take a tortilla, place a tablespoon or two
    in the middle, add a dollop of sour cream mixture and some
    cheese. Roll up and place in a large 13 X 9" pan. Continue
    until the pan is full. I squeeze them together to get more in.
    Pour the remaining sour cream mixture on top and top
    with more cheese.

Carolyn

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Ooohhh, Chicken enchiladas!

Below are some of my favorites. Another one I LOVE but the flavors are very strong so you will either love it or be repelled by it -- is to boil the chicken and then cut it up, and then toss it in a sauce made of olive or peanut oil with chopped up fresh garlic, scallions, and ginger. (I call is Schezuan Chicken but am not sure I have that right).

Recipes:

40 Clove Garlic Chicken

Use a casserole pan with a tight fitting cover
    Roughly 40 cloves of garlic (about 3 bulbs)
    4 Stalks Celery in thin slices
    2/3 c. olive oil
    Parsley
    ¼ cup dry vermouth (Or Sherry with some bitters)
    1 T. dried tarragon
    Several Chicken legs and thighs ~ about 10 -12 (You can use breast meat if you prefer but the recipe was made with the dark meat in mind.)

Dip chicken in olive oil.
    Sprinkle Salt/Pepper/nutmeg on chicken
    Layer chicken in pan w/ Garlic, Celery, Parsley in casserole dish (You should have a few layers)
    Pour left over olive oil and sherry over the top
    Put dried tarragon on top

Seal with Foil and the Tight Lid. Seal as tight as possible.
    Cook at 375 for 1 1/2 hours.
    DONT open until time is up.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Susie Ward Amblers Chicken and Artichokes

Basic recipe is for 2 people

2 whole chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
    Salt, pepper and paprika to taste
    1 TBLS each olive oil and butter
    1 can artichoke hearts (non-marinated), drained
    5 or more mushrooms, sliced
    4 tsps flour
    1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
    1/8 tsp dry rosemary, crumbled or fresh to taste
    ½ cup sherry and chicken broth (mix according to taste)
    minced parsley

Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, paprika and cook in melted butter and olive oil over medium-high heat until browned. Arrange chicken in a 1½ quart casserole with artichoke hearts.

Cook mushrooms in pan drippings until liquid evaporates. Sprinkle mushrooms with flour and stir to blend. Gradually stir in broth/sherry, rosemary and garlic. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened. Pour over chicken.

Cover and bake in a 375 oven for 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley, Italian breadcrumbs and/or parmesan cheese. Remove lid last 10 minutes to brown.

Serves 2

Multiply according to number of guests. 2 cans of artichokes are fine for 5/6 people. I increase the cooking time to 30/35 minutes when I have 6 or more chicken breasts.

NOTE Regarding Artichoke hearts you can usually find these in the canned vegetable section. You do NOT want the MARINATED ones. The ones you want come in a can, not jar and dont say marinated. You could get artichoke bottoms too -- I noticed sometimes with the hearts you bite into a tough leaf!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Garlic Ginger Chicken
    Im doing this recipe from memory so feel free to improvise on the quantities/temperatures (I am!) But it is delicious. The sauce is really good over rice. You can substitute Splenda for the honey.

1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup white vinegar
    1/3 cup honey
    1 Tablespoon minced ginger (or ½ teaspoon ginger powder takes less of that)

About 10 cloves of garlic
    1 tsp. Crushed red pepper (more if you like spicy this is pretty mild.)
    A couple Tablespoons Olive Oil

6-8 Chicken legs/thighs

1. Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, and ginger. Set aside.
    2. Chop the garlic until well minced (1/8 to 1/4" pieces.)
    3. Sauté the garlic and red pepper in the olive oil in a large sauté/frying pan over medium low heat for a few minutes.
    4. Turn the heat up to medium-high and "sear" the chicken in it for a couple minutes until the outside of the chicken is browned.
    5. Turn the heat down to Medium-ish. Add the sauce. Cover sauce pan and simmer until chicken is cooked through. Turn chicken occasionally.

This goes great with rice. I usually serve it with green-beans that I sautéed in garlic/olive oil too.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Here are two of my favorites that I posted on All Recipes:

Pollo Fajitas
    Submitted by: Teresa C. Rouzer
    Rated: 4 out of 5 by 259 members Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 55 Minutes
    Yields: 5 servings
    "Fajitas at home! Chicken briefly steeps in a zesty marinade before a saute with onions and peppers in this faithful rendition of a Mexican favorite. Serve with warm flour tortillas, salsa and sour cream to complete the picture."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire
    sauce
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 dash hot pepper sauce
    1 1/2 pounds boneless,
    skinless chicken thighs, cut into
    strips
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1 green bell pepper, sliced
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a medium bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, chili powder, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Place chicken in sauce, and turn once to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for several hours.
    2. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken strips to the pan, and saute for 5 minutes. Add the onion and green pepper, and saute another 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with lemon juice.

Chicken Oreganato
    Submitted by: Teresa
    Rated: 4 out of 5 by 102 members Yields: 7 servings
    "Lemon and oregano deftly flavor this accommodating chicken dish--you can serve it hot, cold or at room temperature."
    INGREDIENTS:
    7 chicken thighs
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
    2. Wash chicken well and pat dry. Mix oregano with salt and pepper to taste. Rub well over all of the chicken pieces. Put chicken in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
    3. Whisk the oil with the lemon juice and drizzle half over the chicken. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces and drizzle with the remaining oil/lemon mixture. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm, cold or at room temperature!

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Wow!! great recipes. We love chicken dishes so will have to try some of these out. The one that the kids like best is to take a foil package of mexican rice(cook per package), throw in left over chicken, some salsa, a can of creamed soup, some cheese and heat on top of the stove.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Ohhhh, I've copied off several of these! Thanks much for sharing. Can't wait to give them a try!

• grammyp
    16 years ago

My kids love "Crummy Chicken"

mix bread crumbs and parmesan cheese about 50/50
    rinse boneless chicken breasts and roll in mixture
    squeeze butter or place pats of butter on top
    bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or till golden brown

Our Chicken casserole is easy also

Stew whole chicken with chopped onion, celery and carrots.
    remove from bone and save liquid for other uses.

mix 1 cup chicken, onion, celery and carrots with 1 cup cooked rice, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1/4 cup mayonase, 1 can sliced chinese chestnuts and put in casserole dish. Melt 1 stick butter in small sauce pan, crush one sleeve ritz crackers and mix with butter, cover casserole. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or till golden on top. I have also been known to add peas and carrots, corn, and/or green beans to the mixture.

I gotta copy some of these.

beverly

• ddavisgray
    16 years ago

Kit,
    This will probably make a bit to much for two people, but when I make it just for three of us, I do freeze part of it for a quick meal later. I like the hotter Rotel, but My DH & DGD don't. I also like to use the Mexican blend cheese.

KING RANCH CHICKEN

1/4 cup margarine
    1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 can (10 oz.) ROTEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
    1 1/2 teaspoons Chili power
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    Salt & pepper
    2 cups cubed cooked chicken
    Tortilla Chips (I use the Misson brand tortilla strips)
    2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a large saucepan, saute pepper and onion in melted margarine until tender, about 5 minutes.
    Mix together in a bowl: the soups, ROTEL and chicken, and the Chili powder, garlic powder and salt & pepper,stirring until well blended. Add this to the onions and pepper. Cook on low heat until throughly heated.

In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick veg spray, alternately layer tortilla chips (kind of crushing alittle), soup mixture and cheese,
    repeating for three layers and ending with the cheese.
    Bake about 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling and cheese turning golden.
    serves about 4 to 6.

Thanks for starting this thread.
    Lots of good recipes.

doris=^.^=

• ironkit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Verdict for Lisa's chicken was: "I thought you said you couldn't cook!"

I will be trying the rest of these out this summer, too!

~ Kit

• maryliz
    16 years ago

I love chicken, so I have a lot of chicken recipes.

One of my favorites is "cheeken fu-rye," a Japanese chicken recipe. You need "panko," which is Japanese bread crumbs, available at an Asian grocery store. Do not get the honey flavored panko. You could substitute plain bread crumbs from the regular grocery store, but that tastes different. Still works the same, though.

Start with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Cut into bite sized pieces. Alternative: pound them to even thickness--about 1/2 inch. Whole breasts are easier to handle, so I usually do this instead of the traditional bite sized pieces.

Hint: use one hand for the egg and the other hand for the dry ingredients. That keeps things a bit less messy.

Roll each piece in flour--just enough for an even coating. I usually add some salt and pepper to the flour. I don't think that's the traditional way.

Dip each piece into scrambled egg, diluted with about 1 teaspoon water per large egg.

Then, roll each piece in the bread crumbs. Press gently to help the bread crumbs adhere.

Until you get used to the assembly method, bread all the chicken before you start to cook it.

Fry in oil that comes at least halfway up the sides of each piece. You could also deep fry.

The chicken is done when it starts to steam, which causes the oil to spatter. The meat should still be very slightly pink, but not give off any red in the juice when you cut it open.

Leftover fried chicken is not as crispy, but still tastes good. I warm up leftover whole breasts in the microwave, then put them in a sandwich with lettuce and tomato.

I am looking forward to trying everyone else's chicken recipes. Great idea, Kit!
  • maryliz
    16 years ago

I just realized that the way I described the "Chicken Fry" recipe would lead one to believe that the way to proceed is to first roll all of the pieces in the flower, then dip all of the pieces in egg ... etc. Instead, you dip one piece in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Then pick up the next piece of chicken.

• nassongrad_nh
    16 years ago

Wow, I'm definitely going to try some of these!

Here's my contribution.

This first one was originally written for a whole, cut up fryer, but I simply use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. It's quick and easy, but tastes like you 'fussed'.

Lemon Broiled Chicken

Chicken (whatever form you desire)
    1 lemon, halved (I use just lemon juice)
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted

Preheat broiler. Rub chicken pieces on all sides with lemon, squeezing lemon halves to release juice. Place chicken pieces skin side down on broiler pan. Combine salt with paprika and pepper. Brush chicken with half of melted butter; sprinkle with half of seasoning mixture. Broil about 6 inches from heat 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Turn chicken; brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining seasoning mixture. Continue broiling 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.

The next one is one I made often when I was first married. It's from my high school home ec class (can you say OLD?) but is really easy and very good!

Chicken Cordon Bleu

4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
    1 tsp margarine
    1 10-oz can cream of chicken soup
    1/4 cup milk
    2 slices thinly sliced ham
    2 slices Swiss cheese

Combine soup and milk and set aside. Melt margarine in a 10-inch frying pan over low heat and add chicken breasts. Place one half slice of ham and one half slice of cheese on top of each breast. Secure with tootthpicks. Add soup mixture and gently stir to incorporate melted margarine. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice.

jd

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

heh, glad it went well kit!

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

I need to put a new ink cartridge in my printer, and print these off. Thanks, all!!

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

How about chicken breasts breaded with crushed canned onion rings? Dip chicken in eggs/milk and then dip in breading and bake....Yummy!

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

This is a fried chicken recipe that I have had since early in my marriage, which is about to become 47 years long. The nice thing about it is that you can remove the skin, which has a lot of the fat, and make a healthier dish (heh heh), while still enjoying a good fried crust.

This should work with either breasts or legs. It's easiest to make in an electric fryer, but a deepish pan with a close-fitting lid will do. Do not salt the chicken or the flour until you have finished frying it.

Remove the skin, if you wish. (I always do.) Soak in water. When the meat has reached room temperature, remove from water and quickly lay it in a bed of flour. Leave it there a few seconds. After it has been covered with flour on all sides, lay it on waxed paper. Leave it there for AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. This is important. The flour will form a seal. The pieces of chicken will look as if dipped in glue, but don't worry, it is going to make a crispy crust.

Place the pieces in medium hot melted shortening about 1 inch deep and immediately put on the lid. be careful not to cook it too fast. When the chicken gets golden brown on one side, turn it over. Try not to turn it more than once because then it will become greasy. Remove from the pan and set it on paper towels to absorb the excess grease. NOW you can salt it if you wish!

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Ooh! Good one, Jan. I can't wait to try it.