Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannabsd

Traveling to NY City

deannabsd
16 years ago

My daughters and I will be traveling to Ny City in August to sight see and I would love to find some fun fabric/garment district shops.. We will be traveling by public transportation and it will literally be "the blind leading the blind". We plan to take in a broadway plan, US Open, Yankees Game, Central Park and who knows what else we can take in for4-5 days. We are staying in Queens so any suggestions for travel, fun things to eat or see would be appreciated. Deanna

Comments (4)

• colleenny
    16 years ago

You might want to go to the Museum of Natural History and visit the planetarium there. It is fabulous. Colleen

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

You may already know this, but on Wed's (I think it's Wed's) the broadway plays are all done as matinee's and half off. I think they start selling the tix at 10:00 AM but people line up earlier. And those selling for certain plays will come down the line to sell them.

DH and I saw the Producers and it was AMAZING. We were in the LAST ROW but that was row 16 -- the theatres are so small there is NO BAD SEAT. We could see every expression on their faces. I'd always secretely hated plays cause I never had a clue what was going on -- but it was up close and just amazing.

Also if you go downtown there are people all over selling tickets to their bus tours. I'm not usually a "tour" type person, but we took one and it was really good -- you get a pass and can get on and off any time for the day and they take you to historic places and you learn a ton. Plus all the different areas of the city and they tell you about how things have evolved. It was a great way to take in a lot without having to find your way around!

We went to Ellis Island and I HIGHLY recommend that -- another thing I thought would be like "OK, some island where immigrants came in, whatever..." But it was REALLY MOVING and I was just AWESTRUCK to stand there and see the pictures of people as they came in and learn their stories -- how many were turned back due to perceived health issues -- and you can look up your relatives and see if they're on the registry. I REALLY LIKED ELLIS ISLAND.

Then there is Little Italy where you can get some GREAT Italian food. Just walk down the street and pick a place.

My DH and I took the Mass Transit system into DownTown NY each day and just started walking -- there is SO MUCH to see. The bus tour people are on corners selling the tickets so once you get downtown you'll find a ton to see and do. The city is amazing on one hand and an assault on the senses on another (Noise, smells, people... Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore!). (We prided ourselves on walking faster than the locals, LOL.)

Gee -- I guess I got a lot out of NYC!

Have fun!!!

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laura, you sound like my type of traveler. The girls are 21 and 25 and we plan to shop, Ellis Island, US Open (tennis), yankee game or at least to Yankee stadium, and Iwant to go to Central Park. Of course, if I could find an interesting fabric store that would be great. We also will plan to go to a play. Thanks for your ideas and any other suggestions. The girls are not great for museums and our time will be limited. Thanks for any other ideas anyone has for eating, entertainment, etc. We are staying in Queens. Deanna

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a monument where John Lennon was shot? I heard Elton John talking about John Lennons death and it made me wonder if the location is marked? Deanna