Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Here's My Backyard Jungle

A little over an acre is pretty much in it's natural state. DH dug a little watering hole the critters can drink from and he's put down a sort-of path to a serene natural opening using dead palm fronds, etc. This picure was taken from the door of what my Southern family would call a Wash Room. They called their laundromat a Wash House. DH built this for me because the hook-up for a washer and dryer was in a big closet....that now holds some of my fabric. When it was raining the other day, I saw some birds flittering around on some big palm fronds that was holding water. Pretty cool.

SharonG/FL

Comments (10)

• salijo
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Don't let my grandkids go back there unattended when they visit you next month! I know what kind of critters you get down there!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL.....I doubt they'll be allowed back there at all! With poison ivy here and there and tics, wouldn't want to take the chance. I very rarely go back there myself but when I do I wear long sleeves and jeans and dad goes with me or I'd get lost! Those hanging vines remind me of Tarzan! lol

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Yep I agree with Salijo, I can hear the gators now LOL!!!!
    I love it Sharon it looks so serene.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Rosa. No gators unless it floods big time but we still keep a look out for them just in case. There's a canal about a mile away plus a good sized pond on the property to the south of us. All of that property is also still natural.

Sharon

• jennifer_in_va
    14 years ago

Love your 'little jungle'!! It's nice to see 'natural' areas that folks have left alone.

Can my kids & I come explore and have school lessons??

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You sure can, Jennifer! Addison will be here next month so she and Amanda can play in the birdbath while your 2 older kids and Addison's 8 year old sister and 7 (I think) year old brother are out looking for snakes hanging from the trees. @:) They'll have to take palm frond with them to wave around and clear the way of those big Banana Spider webs. lol You can see why I don't go back there very often.

Sharon

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Oh it's so beautiful!
    My corner of Florida is all developed and 'cityfied'. But I love to see the real, natural Florida.

An acre?!? Wow, what fun. Of course, my gardener mind is already thinking up all the things I would do with an acre and then it wouldn't stay as natural for long.

kate

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Sharon, I meant to add that you should let me know if you ever get over to east Orlando. I'll show you my garden and we can tell some quilting stories.

kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Kate, We're at the point of our lives where the up-keep of having gardens etc would take more time than we're willing to give. It's almost like, been there, done that, don't want to do it anymore. It's enough for DH to keep the weeds mowed. DH has a greenhouse for his bonsai and the tender plants that can't make it through Florida's harsh winters! (grin) He's more interested in building model cars and playing with his motorcycle right now and I'm more of an inside person...although I did step outside to pick the ripe tomato and have it for breakfast yesterday! @:)

Would love to see your garden but about the only time we're in Orlando is if we go to the airport. We've been to a few symposiums at the Peabody....if we ever do it again, I'll let you know....same way with Gwen...I think she's close by, too.

Sharon

• agoldencomet
    14 years ago

Love seeing your jungle!!

And don't "complain" about Florida harsh winters, LOL!! I come down there for the warmth from Nov to April!!

When I get a chance I will post some pix of Nova Scotia. I live right on the ocean, but it is not like the Florida beaches. It is huge granite boulders.

We also have a greenhouse, but that is so that we can grow tomatoes - in the summer!! LOL

goldie

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus