Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salijo_gw

Just had to tell someone....

salijo
15 years ago

This past week, I placed an order online with a lavender farm for some culinary lavender products...I've just been wanting to try some, and I thought it was probably worthy of being on my bucket list; so I chucked aside the economy of it and just bought it. One of the items I purchased was a lavender/herb blend.

Tonight I'm using the herb blend for the first time. I have a pork roast in the oven that I rubbed with a mixture of oil and the herbs. It's not even half finished and I can't begin to describe how it smells...but if I had to try, I would say "heavenly, that's how!"

I'll let you know how it TASTES later tonight! I won't even have to share and will have tons of leftovers! Ah, the joys of living alone.

Salijo

Comments (13)

• salijo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh....and I forgot to mention that today, I placed a small order from a Cajun foods website that I've had in my favorites for quite awhile...although a couple of things I purchased will be for gifts.

I've just decided that I won't ever have the money to do the big (or even medium) things I've always really wanted to do, so why not spend a little extra now on some littler things that may make my humdrum everyday life a little more exciting?

I can tell you right now that this roast I'm making smells a whole lot better than the toast or egg sandwich that I usually fix myself for dinner!

Salijo

(This probably has NOTHING to do with the invitation to join AARP that I received this past week, even though the big bad birthday that makes me eligible is still a whole year away.)

• salijo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The roast was sumptuous...very lightly enhanced with the lavender herbs! Yummm....but I think I'm going to add more of the herb blend next time. It was a tad too light for my taste.

Salijo

• grammyp
    15 years ago

That sounds nice. Where did you order them?

beverly

• salijo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beverly, the website is http://www.springbrookmeadowslavender.com/

I also ordered the Lavender Creme Brulee Kit, Lavender Butter Cake Kit, Lavender Lemonade Mix, and Seedless Red Raspberries and Lavender Jam. The "kits" and "mixes" ended up just being a small bag of what I think is probably culinary lavender buds along with a recipe. But they weren't very expensive. If I like them and want to reorder, I'll probably just check to see if they sell the culinary buds alone without a recipe.

I may open the jam tomorrow for breakfast toast!
    Salijo

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Lavender lemonade, yum.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Sal, I used to grow lavendar but never thought about cooking with it. I suppose there's something they do to it to make it culinary? The lavendar lemonade does sound good, though. Last year our lemon tree was loaded and dad juiced all the lemons and we froze it in small portions.

Can you actually 'taste' the lavendar?

mom

• salijo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think what makes it culinary is that it's grown without pesticides, etc. I believe that lavender is actually considered an herb and not a flower, so it could probably be grown in an herb garden.

I can tast the lavender, but it's mild. The jam is exquisite.

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting...I am Cajun. I can recommend Tony Chatchery seasoning...I just get it at Publix...so check your local store. I love Jerk seasoning...not as potent as Cajun, but so flavorful. I have some lavendar from travels through MD and DC area...keep the little buds, even if they are years old...they smell great...your lavender rub sounds so good I may order from link in your post...and here is a NM place I do order from...www.comfortfoods.com..Fiesta dip mix and the salsa..mmm...I get the packets, not the jars....Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: Comfort Foods

• salijo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thanks for posting that link Gwen, I like what I see there! I made some Jambalaya over the weekend from a mix I bought at that website...I felt it was a little bland. I topped it with just a touch of pineapple orange habanero sauce I purchased from the same site.

The mix was only rice and spices, I think. I added sausage and some of a Cajun frozen veggie combo (gr pepper, onion, celery) I had in my freezer. I already have a ton of Cajun and Creole seasonings in my cupboard, If that's all it takes to make Jambalaya, I could probably just make my own the next time and spice it up how I like it! I'm really not that into "hot" spicey, I just like it "tasty" spicey. I proved I could do "hot" when I was younger. Not so much now!
    Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Oh Gwen!! Now you've gone and done it! I'll have to order from them. I notice they are available for fundraisers so emailed DD3 about it for their Band Aid project.

Sharon

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Lavender on a roast?? I never would have thought of it, but I'll try anything!!
    And my waist line shows it LOL!!!!
    I love spicy food.
    Salijo I started working for AT&T at 18, so when I was in my 30's they started sending me AARP thingies.
    I also was a single parent for 20 years and I do cook special meals just for me.
    You go girl!!!!!!!!
    Rosa

• salijo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The lavender/herb blend is called Herbs (or Herbes) De Province. I believe it's a traditional herb blend, but I don't think it always contains lavender, although many manufacturers do add it.

I cook more frequently if my kitchen is cleaned... LOL. Living alone has its perks with no one to answer to except me...although that could also be construed as a liability!

Salijo

• agoldencomet
    14 years ago

Salijo, it sounds and looks(I googled) soooo good! I am sorry I am in Canada right now. The shipping, customs and other charges make it too expensive. But I'll be checking into it when we get to Florida in the fall!

goldie

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths