Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Herb Gardens?

How many of you grow herbs? I was reading Teresa's post about where she planted some basil and remembered when we first moved to Florida I had a small herb garden. The basil was rampant and I ended up freezing a lot of it and making pesto and freezing that, too. I almost feel like doing it again! The little area is already fenced in and I'd just need to get the leaves out of it and clean it up a bit. I don't remember what else I had...so, what herb do you grow that you use the most and how do you use it?

SharonG/FL

Comments (11)

• woodenzoo
    15 years ago

I grow a few. I have oregano, parsley, sage, thyme, (chives in a windowsill.) I winter sowed 3 varieties of basil, so I'll have that to make pesto. I usually use all of them fresh in various dishes. This year, I do want to put my dehydrator to use and dry them for the winter.
    I also grow chamomile and cumin for their flowers mostly. The cumin flowers are so unique. When I move I'll have more room and I'll be able to grow more of the cumin so that I'll actually be able to use it.
    Cathy

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cathy, I never thought about growing cumin. Is it the flowers that are used?

SharonG/FL

• salijo
    15 years ago

I don't grow it, but love rosemary....and don't forget the lavender!
    Salijo

• woodenzoo
    15 years ago

Sharon, it's the seeds that are used.
    There's two different 'types'... the one linked below is usually found as seeds and the other is usually used ground.
    I couldn't find a picture showing what I see on my flowers. I'll have to take a picture of them the next time I grow it.
    Have you decided yet about your herb garden?
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cumin

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

I have Fennel growing in the planter along with pineapple plants and small letttuce. The fennel is large. I usually have dill...don't know what happened to it. It is the one I so enjoy walking out to and cutting to add to whatever I am cooking...basil was another fav...Gwen

Let me know how your garden is doing...it is so comforting to dig in the earth...Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Cathy.

Gwen, I might try lettuce on the front porch. Too stormy to dig in the dirt today!

I'm definitely going with basil....there's a lemon basil isn't there? and some kind of mint...probably lavendar.

When we had an herb garden before, the peacock was here and helped himself. No peacock now, so maybe plants will be safe.

Sharon

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Sharon I grew basil in Florida and it is beautiful when it blooms. Lemon basil is wonderful!
    I understand about the critters, here the bunnies, Bambie, and birdies like everything I plant.
    We have bird feeders all over the yard and I have planted sunflowers for them in another corner, so why can't they leave my garden alone LOL?
    Salijo I tried lavender in Florida and I died every time, I think it is just to hot. I didn't try it indoors though.
    I also grow peppermint in hanging baskets, you can pinch off the tips when you are sitting outside and it smells so good.
    I like bean sprouts on my salad so I want to try that too.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I bought sweet basil today and plan to dig in the dirt tomorrow. I feel really inept with DH around as he knows all about various kinds of soil. All I know to do is plant the plants and water. It worked last time, so will see what happens this time.

Sharon

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WoooHooooo.....I'm feeling like a downright gardener! Planted two basil plants the other day (already need to get some leaves off), a viola, allysum and picked up a peppermint plant and planted that yesterday in the big container on the porch so I can step out there, snip a few leaves and enjoy. I even have some beautiful cacti growing and blooming, thanks to Jan.

Y'all don't laugh at me now. I know some of you grow all kinds of veggies, herbs and flowers, and we used to, but it's been a long time since I felt like playing in the dirt. @:)

Sharon

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Can I plant fennel in South Dakota? I saw it in a greenhouse yesterday. I have never eaten it but have a recipe that called for it but I was too cheap to buy it.
    I think I would like it. I know sunny central planted it.
    Any advice? Thanks. Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deanna, As you can tell, I'm not qualified to answer any of your questions. Over in the Garden Forums of GW, they have an Herb Forum and MN Gardening, which would be pretty much the same as SD gardening, right?

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: MN Gardening Forum