Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

3-4 diet/exercise

grammyp
17 years ago

How has everyone been doing with their exercise, calorie counting, and snack restraint? I must admit I have not done as well as I should have, but did manage to lose a pound last week. Now that the weather is starting to warm up we should be able to get more bike rides in. Our next challenge is to give up bread with one meal and stop eating snacks after dinner. I have noticed I do love my carbohydrates and when I eat fewer and increase my protein I lose more weight. So we should now strive to lower our carbohydrates and increase our proteins.

Remember, 30 minutes of movement daily, decrease your daily calorie intake to 500 below your base line requirements, give up one snack daily and replace it with water, tea or lemonaid, and give up bread at one meal and no snacking before bed. Let me know how you all are doing.

beverly

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

Good for you, Beverly!!! Do you feel like you're swimming upstream???

Well, after all my shenanigans over the last couple weeks, I've gained 1ý pounds! I very rarely eat bread anyway, but crackers is something else, so will need to pare down on those.

String cheese is a good snack. Putting a few pecans in sf pudding with sf/ff Cool Whip once in awhile is fun, too.

My goal this week is to drink more water/tea, not eat after 8pm and go for walks and play basketball with the granddaughter the days I don't walk. Big grocery/shopping day planned today, so that will be my walking.....

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Today is weigh day and 1 more pound gone!! Yippee!! Yes Sharon, I do feel like I am swimming upstream. (I couldn't find a bike on a hill to use 8) )

beverly

{{!gwi}}

• Vicki Pidgeon
    17 years ago

I'm back on the Weight Watchers program. I found a new product that helps me when the kids get home from school and are having a snack. They are called "Oats & Chocolate Fiber One Bars (General Mills). They are yummy! And are only 2 points each! Eat one with a bottle of water and it holds you until supper time. Remember, eat slow and enjoy every bite :)

One bar has 140 calories, 4 g fat, 0 cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 29g carbs, 9 g fiber, and 10 g sugar.
    They said (at WW Mtg the peanut butter variety was not as good as the chocolate. I find them with the granola bars and kids fruit snack things.
    Vicki

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Vicki, those sound yummy. I'll have to look for some.

beverly

• amcfeely
    17 years ago

Okay I am back, I need the support ladies. I am doing horrible. But I just bought the book, YOU-on a diet. I am about half way thru it and it is so interesting. It explains to you about how your body reacts and process all the different types of foods we eat. What foods help our body create good fat fighting hormones and what types of foods create the bad hormones that make us want to eat more.

For instance, did you know that High Fructose Corn Syrup is really bad for you. It's in things like the sweetener for you soda and salad dressings. Your brain doesn't see this as a regular food. Because your brain doesn't see the fructose in HFCS containg foods as excess calories your body wants you to keep eating. Check your labels, many low-fat foods have HFCS as one of the main ingredients. This can have really bad consequences on your body calorie and appetite-wise. Foods with fructose which maybe labeled as low fat actually make you hungry and are unable to shut off your appetite. So even after eating a whole meal, your stomach and liver send messages to your brain that you are still hungry. Just a little tidbit of information for all you out there.

And did you know that eating 6 walnuts, 12 almonds, or 20 peanuts 20 minutes before you eat, will help you eat less during your meal. These foods start to send messages to the brain that you are full, it takes twenty minutes for the digestion to start. Not all foods do this but the good fats in the nuts do.

Just wanted to share a couple of the tips I am learning from this book. It is really amazing to learn the biology of my body and what eating certain types of foods does to it. It makes you rethink what you want to put in your mouth. I am going to hopefully finish the book this weekend and start putting what I have learned into action. I will let everyone know how it is going.

Amy

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

Amy, Those are things I learned when I first started the South Beach program in December. I had to retrain myself to check the labels for sugar grams instead of fat grams. I actually use real mayo now and sugar free pudding with cool whip and nuts is really tasty!

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome back Amy! I haven't been real faithful with my posts, I shall strive to do better now that warm weather is here and we can get out and do stuff. HFCS is really bad cause it is not a natural and the body just stores it away because it can't use it. Be sure to check the lable on yogurt, drings, puddings, canned fruits ... it is everywhere!

beverly

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Almonds are really good for you too.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

wooohoooo, I've lost the one and a half I gained plus one! Yippee.......

SharonG/FL

{{!gwi}}

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, almonds are full of essential fatty acids, not to mention very tasty.

You go Sharon!! You are doing much better than I am at this point, but we can now get out and ride almost every day now. We did turn a bit yellow from the pine pollen today, but that is just one of the joys of living in the south.

beverly

• Aunt_Net
    17 years ago

You girls are an inspiration. I lost before the wedding and have gained it all back plus a couple over the winter. I'm riding almost every day but I do need that, "I am full and comfortable" feeling after dinner. Am headed out now for a ride.

Aunt Net

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aunt net, I love that full and comfortable feeling tooo much. I have had to learn to get it with my fruits and veges instead of my bread and pasta though. I am so looking forward to summer and fresh veges from mom's garden!

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

Hey, Beverly.....send some of those fresh veggies down my way. We still haven't gotten the hang of Florida veggie gardening. DH has tomatoes planted upside down in a bucket....we'll try anything! If my dad knew I was paying good money for crookneck and zuccs, he'd turn over in his grave.

SharonG/FL

{{!gwi}}

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I may have to make a trip your way Sharon. Dad got the corn in yesterday, but if it doesn't rain soon he will have to replant. He planted 3 times last year. The beans and peas have to be planted on Good Friday. I just can't wait! We still have plenty canned and in the freezer, but they sure are much better fresh.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

.......I'll meet you half way. @:) Does your dad plant black-eyes? I can remember shelling bushels of those and limas.....sure had some sore fingers for a few days......

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They do plant some black-eye, but they prefer purple hulls (so you then have sore purple fingers). Some limas, mom doesn't have a lot of time for shelling with Aunt Sue like she is. Dad's specialty is corn, he plants Silver Queen and last year started planting some Silver King. The soil there just grows great sweet corn. MIL doesn't care for sweet corn, she grew up on field corn, very starchy. I'll call you when it is done.

beverly

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths