Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

March KOKO's

March came in like a lamb here in our area. Guess we all know what that means.....

Feb is over and it's time for a new beginning...just for this month....concentrate on a goal for this month....baby steps.....my DD's doc asked her, "Is it too much to ask you to lose 2 pounds a month?" So, that's what I'm thinking for me....(plus those other things I already said). I'm thinking about weights.....do you think it would look too funny to keep a couple cans of soup by where I sit in the living room and wave them around for arm exercises while watching TV???? no pics please......

We had planned on going to the flea market this morning, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. DD called DH as she was at a big yard sale and found something he's been looking for so he took off to join her....I'm still sitting here drinking coffee and in my robe.

Pork is in the crockpot....just drained it and added a can of peaches and tropical fruit (low sugar)...plan to make some rice and probably broccoli to go with it.

We have to KOKO......

SharonG/FL

Comments (76)

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I bent down this morning to get the dogs dish and I put my back out. I went to the chiropractor but still in a lot of pain. He did some ultrasound treatment on it and an adjustment. It will be a while before I'm taking walks again. Besides it is like a giant ice skating rink out there, not safe to walk.
    I tried to sew, no dice. I guess tonight it's grab a book and read. So much for my great plans and lists to get things done!

Vicky

• nana24
    16 years ago

Vicky,
    So sorry about your back. I do like a good excuse to read. Just finished Debbie Macomber's book The Shop on Blossom Street and have A Good Yarn which is the next one but only have a couple chapters read. Someone-Deanna, I think-recommended her and I like the books.

I would not be walking on ice either. We have had really nice weather here and I have been walking. I am dreading when it gets really hot. Not sure how I'll handle the walking them. I still have to remind myself to drink water.

Having fun with my young neighbor who is learning to quilt. She has made 4 blocks so far. I think she is getting the hang of cutting with the rotary cutter, pinning, working on getting a 1/4" seam and pressing. I think she is pretty happy with her progress. She hopes to make 20 blocks before putting them together but her time is short and we might decide on less. She first chose a block that was a little complicated for a beginner but next I chose an easier block for her and she got the idea that some are easier. Today I'm going to introduce her to a 9 to 4 block because it is simple turned complicated looking. I welcome sugestions from any of you for simple blocks. She wants different blocks like a sampler. Just a side line but she was chosen yesterday by her senior class as the prettiest girl in the class. She is pretty both inside and out. She is rather shy but very smart.

Hope everyone has a good day! Rosa, are you better?
    Take it easy, Vicky, and get better.

KOKO Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sally, here's some links for heart that are easy...also, the Friendship Star is an easy one.....what blocks have you already done with her and what size?
    http://www.sewquilty.com/History/0302.html
    http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/ScrappyHearts/index.html

Vicky, hope your back straightens up soon! i hate it when the back goes out! Not much you can do about it...just wait it out.

KOKO

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Birthday season has started in my fam, we are going out to eat tonight. I did play golf this morning, it was windy but sunny.
    I have a scrappy broken dishes box that I have been throwing 3&7/8 half square triangles in for a long time. I use them for my enders and they are not cut or pressed.
    It is also an easy pattern for beginners, the pinwheel is popular among my teen sewers too.
    Stay healthy and happy everyone, I guess sometimes we just have to fake it right???????????????
    KOKO Rosa

• nana24
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sharon and Rosa.
    We did a Friendship Star yesterday and she liked it.
    We are doing 12 1/2" blocks. I'm going to see if she wants to do a heart and check out the pinwheels. I'm going to go to quilt blocks galore and see what easy blocks I can find. I had been thinking she would chose the blocks and she has several of my books but I guess I need to do more suggesting.

Still nice weather so I walked today.

KOKO Sally

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Hello all,
    Beautiful day nearly 52 or so in South Dakota. Went to yoga and then for a walk.

Trying to finish up a little baby blanket-cotton print on the front and flannel on the back. I decided that I get more exercise sewing. I laid out the print and trimmed one side of the salvages and walk into the other room to throw away one little strip. Meanwhile-where did my water bottle go? Oh did I leave my scissors when I got my water bottle?
    Oh, I think I need more pins. In between maybe check the internet!! It is a 45 by 54 blanket and should take me 30 minutes at most--but oh well.

Hope that all of you that are ailing are on the mend. I am thinking of cancelling my chiropractic appt. for Friday as seem to be doing ok.

We are also celebrating bdays this weekend. Mom and her two sisters all have bdays in March and my SIL is also in March. Just so happens that my sister is hosting and we can stop and get her two sisters to bring along. Hope that the weather will be nice as it is state tournament time and usually we end up with a snow storm. The rest of my family (us four kids plus three nieces and nephews) are all within 45 days in the fall. Of course our own two DD fall between christmas and newyears. ugh.

Hoping that Friday I can test drive a Bernette Sewing Machine. One of the cheaper ones (199.00)that he carries. I just dearly want a 1/4 inch foot.

Have a good rest of the week and KOKO. Deanna

• nana24
    16 years ago

Deanna,
    Sent you an email.
    Thanks for recommending Debbie Macomber's books.
    Sally

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Hello all, I'm still laid up here with my back. Walking sideways........ I went to the dr yesterday and she gave me muscle relaxers and a stronger pain med that makes me sick so that's out. If not better by Monday she will send me for a MRI.

I haven't got too much done because of it but I did sew some of my flower blocks. I have four to go and I HOPE to get one done a day so I meet the deadline. I also have two birthday blocks to get done. Well if I don't get better I suppose I could ask the two ladies if they minded if I was late, as much as I HATE being late with anything.

I did make it to my daughter Orchestra concert last night. I'm so glad I went, I'd been looking forward to it for so long. They were wonderful. Because we homeschool she is involved in the Community Orchestra, it is all ages but mostly older retired people. It is good for her to mix with people of all ages and it has been a blessing to us all.

Please pray for my back and pain relief for me. Also I have had to cancel some appointments the biggest was one with th e dentist to get more work done there. I feel like I'm just falling apart! Getting a little discouraged but still looking up to where my help comes from!

Vicky

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Oh Vicki, I am feeling for you as I have gone through major back injuries. Looking back the best thing I could do was to stay as active as I could-just with walking and ask your doctor for some at home stretches. I actually at one time thought that Dr. Kivorkiean(sp) was actually a miracle. Will keep you in my prayers.

I am scheduled to go to my chiro in 30 minutes and may also be going the MRI route.

Plan to sew today and thanks for the message,Sally.

Looks like we better enjoy the next few days as winter may be upon us on ST. Patty's day. Luck of the irish to you all. KOKO

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vicky, I'm really sorry you're having this problem. There are times things happen and we wonder why, but you have the right attitude.....to keep looking up. You'll be in my prayers. Glad you could make it to the concert.....I so enjoy to watch the youngsters play their instruments, sing, and enjoy sports. DGD's track team won their meet last night. She's a discus tosser or whatever they call it..and, when did they start doing this in the 8th grade? Oh well, she enjoys it.

Deanna, How did the test drive go? Is a new machine in your future? MRI? Hope things go well for you. I smiled at the way you exercise while sewing.....it kinda sounds familiar! @:)

Sally, How are the blocks going with your teen? Do you think she'll continue after her project is completed? Maybe show her how the blocks could be made into a bag?

If the way the quilt I'm working on is any indication, we must be having another great-grandson. But, I guess it could work for a girl, too. I'm printing out stencils of animals, fusing them onto fabric and then satin stitching them to a block. I have at least 3 more to fuse and about 6 to satin stitch.

We have hummers at the feeders, so Spring is on the way.

Have a great day and a wonderful week-end.....

• nana24
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    I should not complain that it is getting warm here especially if you wait til noon to walk. I know you would rather walk, Vicky. Hope you are better soon and yes just keep looking up.

My teen student is doing good. She has 7 blocks made. We hope to get a little faster. She has cut and sewed everything she has made but I'm going to do some of her cutting. She has the idea and has done a good job with that.
    We did a couple of 9 to 4 blocks and she was really pleased with the way you can make a different looking block with the simple pattern. I got a few more simple blocks from Quilts Galore. She is enjoying it. Whether she will do it again, I'm not sure but maybe after college and at a later time in her life she will remember and come back to it.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
    Sally

• nana24
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    We must all be busy; no post since Friday.
    We did work in our yard this week both Sat and Sun. I know it is the day of rest! We did go to church but worked in the afternoon. My DH is building a pond for his water lilies. He had some that have been in water in two large pots-a pot and a trash can actually since we moved 3 years ago. He potted 8 or 9 lillies out of the pot and still has the trash can to pot lillies from. Some he had marked and some he isn't sure what they are. His also has started 8 lotus plants. The pond is not complete but he started putting the plants in. He has to set up a filter and water features and put the stones on the outside of the walls. They are just to look nice not actual structure. We are both pretty excited about it. I repainted-the base coat at least- on 3 large flowerpots. We also have been trying to get all the flower beds weeded and put down new mulch. I did not get a walk in over the weekend but believe me I got my exercise! :) I did walk this morning. We may have some rain later in the week but it is a beautiful day today.
    Hope all is well and everyone is just busy with life!

KOKO Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

We had nasty weather Fri and Sat, lost power Sat night due to the storms traveling thru Atlanta and over to Savannah. I read my spiritual books by flashlight!!!!!
    Sunday was beautiful and breezy so we played golf.
    We tried for several years to attract hummingbirds in FL with no luck. My parents have several that are always feeding in their front yard. They have plenty of cats but the little birds are never bothered.
    We had bird feeders and a butterfly garden in Fl and I am slowing building up the garden her in GA.
    The problem we have now are little birds building nests all over the patio, they are so cute but so messy!!!!
    I want a little fish pond and DH does not, I have been trying to talk him into it for years. I have not given up on him. When I met him he wanted everything cemented in and I would buy plants and plant them while he was not at home. This year (8 years later) he planted baby trees and helped me in the rose garden.
    He is a keeper, I just wish I could train him to clean. He does his own laundry, but his side of the bathroom is scary. I honestly have thought of not cleaning his mirror just to see exactly how bad it would get before he cleaned it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    Don't even think of asking him what I don't do.
    LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!
    Have a blessed week everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Morning everyone....as usual, it's been stressful around here....DH's glaucoma meds cost $99 a month....can't do it so made a copy of covered meds and taking to doc tomorrow. #2 daughter had surgery this morning and everything went well.....I called it a controlled burn of the uterus.

DH is working at the county fair today so I'm home alone until 5pm....and here I sit....I'll be sewing later...hope to complete the Shamrock tablerunner.....just need to satin stitch and quilt it.

Rosa, What flowers did you use in your Florida butterfly garden? We have butterlies, but I'd like to encourage more and I think even the hummers would like it too. We're having a lot of warblers and orioles this year...don't know if they're on their way up north and just stopped off for a few weeks or not.

Sally, Your pond with the lilies sounds really nice. I think the sound of gentle running water is so relaxing.

It's a lovely day to walk but I don't without DH here.

Have a good day everyone.......

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Sharon it is outrageous that meds are that expensive. I'm glad your daughter's surgery went well.
    I love hibiscus and so do butterflies, we also had milkweed. The milkweed attracts Monarch butterflies and they eat the bush down to nothing and it is amazing how fast it grows back. I guess that is why it is named *weed!!!!!
    After the caterpillars munch for about 2 weeks they get very fat and disappear and return as butterflies.
    We had them everywhere and they are either very curious or friendly (or both) because they follow you around the yard and will even sit on your head, shoulders, or arms if you are still enough. We also had plenty of Swallowtails and yellow Sulphur butterflies.
    Here we have alot of Queens that are related to the Monarch.
    My Mother has a plant she just calls 'butterfly plant' and last summer there were 20 or more different butterlfies on it all of the time. I am going to try to grow one from a cutting of hers.
    I am looking forward to seeing the Shamrock tablerunner.
    Have a great day.
    KOKO Rosa

• nana24
    16 years ago

Today has been one of the windiest days I remember experiencing. I think it even had the cat a little nervous. She doesn't come in the house much but she wanted to stay in. When I was walking it was hard to walk like in a movie about a storm but going the other way it pushed me so I guess it evened out. :)

Sharon, hope you find a solution about the meds. They are the pits-just taking them is bad enough but the cost is awful.

When we start to get some blooms, I'll put a picture of them and the pond here. We both enjoy working in the yard. We have had some beautiful weather.

We went today to get the backing for my teen neighbor's quilt. She finally has 12 blocks and has decided it is enough. We are going to put sashing to make it a little bigger. We are going to quilt around the squares on the sewing machine then she wants to experience hand quilting in some of the blocks. Is there a reason we shouldn't do this. I know there is no quilt police! Ha We are going to use a hoop which I have never done but I bought a hoop and I think we can do it. This is the only way we can have it ready for her to show in a couple of weeks. I hate deadlines. She is giving it a little more time since I told her I am going on a trip with DH and she has to turn it in before I return.
    She is much more laid back about this than I would be. I think she is the kind who panics at the last minute. The things she has done have been a good job;this week I started cutting the blocks for her. She had made 7 and we made 5 more yesterday. I was surprised yesterday when she said she wanted to do some hand quilting on it. At this point, I'm thinking it is only a short time til it is turned in. I'm sure it will be nice.

I'm walking and trying to remember the water!

KOKO Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosa, We have a few hibiscus bushes and if I mention milkweek, I'm sure DH will have a fit.....he thinks Queen Anne's Lace is a weed and I really like it. I'll see what I can do about putting some seeds over at the side of the yard next to the jungle.....heh heh heh.

Sally, Would love to see your pond. It sounds like your student is learning really well! Good job on teaching and helping her. Hope you get a pic of her with her quilt before she turns it in.

I've been hitting the iced tea today......

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Actually Sharon that is a perfect spot for the milkweed they do get kinda ugly when the little critters start eating them!!!!
    Sally I combine MQ and HQ and M embroidery on my quilts. If she is turning it in for a grade it is probably a good idea to show she has learned more than one technique.
    It does sound like she is a wonderful student, I'm looking forward to pics too.
    It is extremely windy here too and yellow pollen is everywhere and it gives me a headache and my eyes itch and I am just not a happy camper today!!!!!
    But I love this time of the year.
    KOKO Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wellllll, I got a long walk in today......we went to DGD track meet at the high school (she tossed 52.1 feet). Walked from the parking lot, passed the football field, passed the concession stands, passed the baseball field and across the soccer field! Then, had to turn around and do it again. After our morning of running around getting DH's meds straightened out ($28 monthly now) and doing errands, I was pooped!

We had gorgeous breezy weather today but it's supposed to be rainy tomorrow. Just got an email from DD in Indiana, they're under a winter storm watch for Friday and Saturday. When will it ever end.....

Sharon

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

I'm so happy I got to sew a little yesterday! I got one birthday block done and ready to send out today! I also sent out the Flower Blocks yesterday. I'm was working on another block last night and got 1/4 of it done. I'm finding if I push the sewing machine peddle with my left foot it takes some of the pressure off the right side of my back??? I guess you really want to sew it can be figured out somehow.

I'm still not going to be doing any walking or excerising for a while. I'm wondering what this MRI will show on Friday. This is the longest my back as acted up at one time. Walking a little sideways this morning. No drugs in me yet. I'm trying to get by without them.

Vicky

• scootersgirl
    16 years ago

May I join you ladies? I need a little encouragement to get up a little earlier to fit in some exercise. Maybe if I have someone to report to that will help.
    Georgia

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Georgia, Of course you can join us.....all are welcome. Whatever we can do to encourage one another to be healthier and feel better is appreciated.

SharonG/FL

• nana24
    16 years ago

Georgia,
    Please do join in. Yes, it is very nice to have someone to talk to and get encouragement from. I really wanted to walk and eat better but having everyone here to report to has helped me stay on track. I haven't walked yet today but I will as soon as it warms up a little. It had been very warm but dropped again last night and is 46 this morning. The sun is shinning and hopefully will warm up fast. I walk in my neighborhood 2 miles and a little extra on Tue and Thur. Everyone has to find their own thing.

Deanna, I know you are laughing about my 46 degrees since that is a heat wave for you. I really don't know how you do it in the ice and snow.

Rosa, thanks, I think it will be good for my student to show different techniques also. I did get some pictures of her last night with her quilt in the frame and I'll try to get then in the gallery later (it is a major process for me and now I have been without a camera and will have to get out my instructions to do it again).

Vicky, we really do figure out how to do things we want to do-sewing with your left foot! Hope your back is better soon. Hope the MRI just shows you need to rest. You know our bodies have a way of slowing us down when we don't do it willingly!

Sharon, sounds like you got a workout just attending a track meet. That was DH's sport. Sounds like that was quite a toss for your DGD. I really don't know much about the discus throw except you have to be very strong.

Reporting in-- I have gotten my walk in each day this week so far. I have lost a total of 24 lbs. I have a way to go but I'm beginning to get into some clothes that I have "outgrown". It is a good feeling.

Today and for the next 3 months DH is older than I am. :)

Everyone keep up the good work.

Have a great rest of the week!
    KOKO Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Welcome Georgia!!! 24 pounds Sally, that is fantastic!!!! I have lost 4 pounds and gained 1 LOL!!!! It is great to have the group for support.
    The weather is beautiful and I am going to walk later since I will be eating out twice this weekend (DH's B-day was Wednesday) in addition to the fam get together for Easter. I washed my car yesterday and this AM I had to hose the pollen off the windshield so I could see to go to the library. After I came back home I thought about walking next time, it is only a little over 2 miles there and I could rest before I walked back.
    Good luck Deanna and Vicky.
    Sharon you are making me look bad with all of the walking!!!!
    Have a great day everyone!!!!!!
    KOKO Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOLOLOL...Rosa!!!

Sally, I don't know anything about track or discus throwing, but I guess I'm about to learn. I think she has one more home game, so I'll take my walking stick next time. You have done such a good job of losing weight! Gold stars for you!!!!!!! I'm heading over to see the pics of your student....

Today I'm sitting on the couch watching basketball and appliqueing. My hip is hurting really bad, so no walking today...maybe just around the circle drive. I'm a yo-yo when it comes to weight..so far, still down more than up. I made chicken veggie soup this morning..very healthy...then, I put in some cornbread dressing dumplings....just can't get away from those carbs!

Sharon

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Hello all and Happy Easter,
    Thinking of you all as I head out for a walk. It was 51 degrees today with a chance of snow in the forecaset. My DD is home on spring break so we go out for our late night walks which I enjoy. Air is so clear unless a local feed lot gets smelly.

Hope that your MRI goes well Vicki. I am not having one at this time and so back into the chiro for more frequent appts.

I did not get into to test drive a sewing machine. My days off just fly by. I am going to try to redo my blocks of the month that I started and see how the tension, etc. is working.

Better keep moving. KOKO. Welcome to our newbie. Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We're on the home stretch for March..one more week. Have we made our goal? I wanted to lose 2 pounds but after yesterday, I'm afraid to step on the scales.....maybe I'll wait til Friday. @:)

This week, I'm going to try and not eat after 7pm.

Friday is our 49th wedding anniversary, so we'll be going out to our fav Italian restaurant sometime this week.

Keep safe everyone and KOKO.....

SharonG/FL

• nana24
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    Congratulations on your wedding anniversary!!!
    In October we will have our 42nd so you are only a little ahead of us. You know we are exceptional!! I feel really blessed and hope to get to 50 years together.
    Enjoy your dinner together.

I have done really well with my walking this month. I didn't walk in the neighborhood this week end but we worked in the yard both Fri and Sat. I mowed the back yard on Sat and decided that certainly was as much exercise I get when I walk. I changed my weigh-in day to Wed so I'll know how much I lost this month on Wed. We did have quite a lunch on Sun. DH took me to Copeland's where I had chicken/eggplant parmesean. Oh well, we have to have some vices in life. Today it is back to walking. It is 50 degrees here this morning so I'm waiting for it to warm up a little before I walk.

Last night my student brought her quilt over as soon as she finished hand sewing the binding on. She is so proud and has done such a good job. She only has to put the label on. She is to be thinking about what she wants on it and we will do that after spring break.

Georgia, how are you doing? Have you set some goals for yourself? Start small so they are do able and work up to bigger things. When I started walking again the thought of going even a short distance overwhelmed me but now my 2 miles are not that bad. I know I can do it. I know when it gets really hot, and it will soon, that will be a new challenge.

Rosa, you sound like our family-- we eat for everything.
    It does present a tempatation.

Hope everyone had a great Easter. We went to church then drove a little over an hour to take DH's mother out to eat only to find the local resturant closed. She said all she really wanted was the dessert-lemon pie. We went and bought her a lemon pie and she was totally happy. She is 83 1/2 so she can decide to eat dessert first if she wants. Actually she seldom eats things like that and is very cautious about her diet.

Have a good last week of the month. Sharon, I know you will have some goodie to get us in April soon. I look forward to that.

KOKO Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

We had beautiful weather for Easter. I love watching the 'Ten Commandments' on TV, I did not realize it was made in the '50's.
    I ordered some things from JoAnn's since they had free shipping. I can not find quilting needles around here.
    I placed the order on the 11th and on the 17th I received an e-mail that it was scheduled for delivery that day. Didn't make it, I called Thurs and was told they needed directions from Savannah and it would be delivered Fri. I called Friday morning to make sure it would be left by the door if I wasn't home since they could not give me a time, they said yes and it was on the truck. No delivery. I called and was told Saturday delivery, no delivery on Saturday. I called again and was told that it would be delivered today. As of 5:14 PM it hasn't made it, but I have been assured it will be delivered today.
    I have received 6 e-mails from DHL and to this date I have no clue what is going on with my package. I plan to let JoAnn and DHL that I am not happy with their service.
    Other than that life is good!!!!!
    Our yearly family get together is the Sat before Easter. My father passed at a very young age and my mother has remarried a wonderful man, he loves to go to our family reunions. Well, 2 left soon after they ate because they said they couldn't get along with someone else.
    The building is big, just move over to the other side and have a good time and ignore the people that get on your last nerve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    These were siblings and they are senior citizens and it is Easter!!!!!!!!
    KOKO Rosa

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Hello all,
    Beautiful day here in South Dakota. Got out and did a couple miles with my DD before she headed back to college from spring break and then 2 miles when I got off of work tonight. It must have been in the 40's and with a light winter jacket it felt great. I probably was over dressed.

Hope you are all doing well and busy celebrating something---an anniversary or just a day of being able to walk and drink water. Went for lunch at the mexican restaurant and up 4 pounds and you know what it is all that salt. So gotta drink that water to flush it out.

My older DD is thinking that she and some friends may run a 5K in August. She said there is a program called Couch to 5K in 30 days. If you google it in the internet it will bring up some suggestions. Need to get away from this screen and sew. My iron is humming to get moving. Good night all. deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosa, I hope your problems with Joann's shipping has come to an end. They aren't known for good cust svc, that's for sure! Your senior citizen siblings make for a good laugh, eh? And, you're right, just move to another part of the room....life is too short.

Sally, It usually doesn't take much to put a smile on a senior citzens face. A slice of lemon pie would do it for me...or, a lemon filled donut! @:) My mom is salivating over her tomato plants....can't wait til those little maters are big enough for a fried green tomato lunch.

Deanna, I love Mexican food but DH doesn't so I don't get it very often.

Vicky....hope your back is better....

Beverly and Georgia, What's happening in your world????

It seems that my goal of not eating after 7pm and also of not eating bread this week is working. I don't feel as 'full' above my waist....don't know about losing pounds, but there's less flesh to rest my hands on! You wouldn't think just 2 days would make that much difference....

KOKO, girls.....April Fools Day is almost here. (Do you have anything planned?)

• scootersgirl
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the welcome!
    Well Sharon since you asked, I haven't done much in the exercise area, and I'm crocheting instead of quilting. My sister-in-law just had her 2nd daughter and I'm trying to get a baby afghan out in the next couple of weeks. Than my sister (the table cloth one) is due in August so I want to get that one out of the way too.

Back to exercise, I don't really care about pounds. I learned by joining the Marines that they don't really mean that much. When I went to Boot Camp I weighed 125 and wore a size 10 quite snugly. (Working at a fast food place and a donut shop will do that to you.) 3 months later when I graduated I was 137 pound and wearing a size 8 loosely. So my goal is to lose those extra inches around the waist that I've gained since having my babies and leaving the Corps.

My plan is to get up a little earlier to fit in some aerobics and weights as well as tons of abs work to get those back in shape. My major problem is getting my lazy bones out of bed. I hope reporting to you all will encourage me to try harder. I like to start at the beginning of the week so next week the reports begin!

Thanks all,
    Georgia

• nana24
    16 years ago

Well, these 3 months of walking and eating less and better has netted 27 lbs. ( about 2 1/2 lbs a week) I know it will plateau on me soon but I'm staying with it. I try to walk 5 days a week. We have also been working in the yard quite a bit. I am back in clothes that I almost gave away 6 months ago. It is a great feeling.

OK, Georgia you have til Mon morning to start. You are obviously younger than most of us in this group. You can do it.

No plans for April Fools day. The end of that week, however, I am going with DH on a trip to Washington, D.C. Really looking forward to that but even more so looking forward to a visit from my DD and DGC (2) in the middle of April.

Sharon, the idea of not eating after 7:00 has worked for me in the past but it is not always feasible because DH gets in; we work in the yard-usually til dark- then we sometimes eat. I try to make it very light when we eat that late as I know it really isn't the best.

I say whatever works for each person!

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week.

KOKO Sally

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Hello all,
    Always good to get updates from all of you. Hear that we may be back in for some winter type weather-hmmm. My DD left her shovel home when she packed up after spring break and she is expecting 8 inches. It doesn't stay around long this time of year.

Gotta try to sew and listen to a ball game tonight. Have a good one. Deanna

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

I walked yesterday! Not to far and I felt it after but that's ok. It felt good to get out of the house. I have to really cut down on proportion size. We eat a healthy diet my big problem is I eat too much of it.
    Thanks for your encouragement.

Vicky

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Vicky I do the same, but you are doing great!!!! I read an article saying that it does not matter when you eat your food but it does for me. I also try to not eat at night. I wish I could train my body to like oatmeal and eat early in the AM, heavy sigh.
    I am looking forward to seeing Georgia's baby afghan. Having babies will do that to your body, it does seem harder to lose after having one.
    Deanna it is cold here in the AM but by 3 or 4 PM I can wear shorts to dig in the dirt.
    I love Mexican food, I even like salsa on my scrambled eggs!!! I must admit there are not too many foods I don't like.
    DH loves to find natural herbs and remedies (me too). Two months ago he had blood work and checked his cholesterol, then he stopped taking his meds and switched to an herbal remedy. We had a health fair yesterday so we didn't eat breakfast before we went, he was so excited to see if his herbs were working.
    It was cool so I had on a sweater, after we were there about an hour it had warmed up and the fair was set up in the open with full sun and I was sweating.
    The nurse had the machine covered and it was taking longer than usual for the results.
    My blood sugar is normally low but it came out 50 and DH's came out 42, about 90 is normal!!!!!!!
    DH's cholesterol was over 400 and it was barely over 200 two months ago.
    I know that any computerized machine is not supposed to be in direct sun expecially for that long. So that is the last time we go to the health fairs, he can check it at home between doc appointments.
    Sharon just what does Miss SB Sue have planned for April?????????????????????????????????????????????
    KOKO Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Georgia, I believe you'll get to where you want to be and you know how to get there. Aerobics and weights......you go girl!!! I enjoy yoga, but it's difficult to get up from the floor nowadays. @:( Family members having babies will put you on a time limit to get those quilts and afghans out, that's for sure. I'm working on one, too.

Sally, I know you have got to be feeling soooooo good about getting back into those clothes and losing all the weight you have. Plus, you have some great things to look forward to in April. @:)

Deanna, Did it really snow where your daughter lives?

Vicky, Good for you to be able to walk after your back problems. Portion control is a problem when the food is good and you're hungry! I try to remember....moderation, but it doesn't always work.

Ms Rosa, I think I could eat at anytime of day except early morning.....and I could eat anything. Cold pizza for late breakfast, I can do it! Speaking of salsa, I need to get some Taco Soup made. I really like to spoon in over lettuce and top with cheese. Little Missy SB Sue is playing in the water for April... @:)

KOKO.....Sharon

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Hello all,
    Well we didn't really get much of the winter weather, DD said she got 3 inches and I bet we got 2 inches which is gone.

Digging in the dirt-oh my!! We certainly won't be planting potatoes for a while around here.

I did some weights and some exercises while I was watching girls bball on tv tonight. One of our South Dakota teams is playing in the D-11 Championship on Saturday night vs. a Kentucky Team. One of the girls is a class mate of my daughters and three girls are girls that we played against when my DD played ball in early high school. So if you catch the South Dakota team, feel free to cheer. The tourney is being held in Kearney, Nebraska but I work the weekend or would consider driving-I guess a 5 hour drive or so.

Sharon, I do a chair yoga video with my patients that is done sitting in a straight back chair. It is primarily arms with a couple of changes in posture for legs. I did it twice today with patients and feel like maybe a few kinks got worked out.

Tomorrow will hopefully work out to test drive that sewing machine. I had mine in the shop and the bobbin thread is goofing up again. darn. Spring is coming, so I need to get my sewing projects organized.

Have a good weekend. deanna

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Good evening

Well our South Dakota team lost to Northern Kentucky. Darn. It was a good game though.

Got my walking in today and it was windy but tolerable.

I bought a Bernina 153 yesterday. It was used but has some warranty. Had planned to sew a little tonight but not sure it will get done tonight.

How are all of you spending the weekend? I am working and then heading to MPLS on Monday for the opening of the Minnesota Twins season with DH and DD. It has been a tradition now for maybe 5 years. College daughter hasn't been able to go all of the time.

Deanna

• nana24
    16 years ago

DH and I have spent several hours in the yard today. We are so excited that we have gotten a jump on the yard this year. We finished putting new mulch on all flower beds and around our little trees. On the flower beds, we cleaned out the grass; We then put down newspaper and covered it with mulch. It has taken us about 3 weekends but the weather has been nice.

DH has got his water lilies in pots and in the pond. He doesn't have his filter system going yet but has done a lot of work. I guess it is a WIP. He has potted a total of 30 lilies and lotus. It will be beautiful when they bloom. I will post some pics then.

We are both pretty tired and have sore muscles but really feel successful.

I walked every day this week but let my work count when we work on the weekend.

Deanna, so happy for your new machine. Know you will have fun with it!

Vicky, hope you continue to improve. I can surely identify with portion size--if it is good eat more. I grew up in a family in which it was my mother's pleasure to feed us! Then I inherited that gene and really enjoy feeding people! I'm working on it.

Sharon, I hope you are having a wonderful anniversary! You deserve to celebrate!!

Only a couple more days in the month of March. Time flies!
    Hope everyone is having a great week end!

KOKO Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deanna, Do you live close to MPLS? My sister lives in Albertville.

I cleaned out 2 10ft high shelves in my closet yesterday. I'm counting that as exercise! Going up and down the little step-stool and making sure I didn't fall with arm loads of junk was more than what I really wanted to do. But, as Sally and her DH feels, I look at it and feel successful!

It's been an emotional couple of days. My aunt (my best friend in high school) called yesterday afternoon and they took my uncle (2 yrs older than me) to the Hospice hospital and told her it would be within the week, so I've been putting away my sewing things and packing as we, along with DD and her DH and DD will be driving to MI. I just feel kind of in limbo.....we were so close to them. I'm planning on staying up north and visiting my mom and sister in MN for a couple weeks and my other 2 daughters and their families in IN until the end of June. I got the GGbaby quilt finished and SBSue with the manatee....both pics are in the gallery. I'll let you know when we leave....

Thank you for being my friends.......

Sharon

• lindaoh_gw
    16 years ago

Sharon, I'm sorry to hear of your family troubles. I hope you have a safe trip driving up north. I also hope I get to see you while you are in Indiana. Are you planning to attend the Appleseed quilt show in June? It will be held June 26 - 28. I am taking an all day class on Thursday, June 26. I haven't signed up to work at the show yet. Let me know if you plan to meet and I will make my plans around that.
    Happy Quilting,
    Linda OH

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Sharon, I am sorry to hear of your family troubles.

We are about 6 hours for Minneapolis so it has often been a little vacation for our family.We are hearing we may have some weather tho...

I started my second week of Couch to 5K in 30 days.It didn't go to bad. Will probably not get much workout in MPls except walking to where we need to go and of course the steps in the Metrodome.

Have a good week. Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda, I have your quilt guild dates in my calendar...I kept that little slip of paper you gave me last year when we met. @:) I'm hoping to be able to attend one day and get together with you then. Do you plan to be there all days? I really don't know what Wendy's schedule will be so will have to let you know when the time gets closer. You just go ahead and make your plans and we'll work around that.

Deanna, I think my sister is about an hour northwest from MPLS. Hope you have a good time at the game. My mom likes to watch the Twins play on TV....she even keeps score and keeps track of who did what.

Tomorrow is another day......we just KOKO.....

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Poor Janis.....I can feel her pain.... @:)

• scootersgirl
    16 years ago

Well my reporting is supposed to start today but there won't be any hard work. I'm babysitting my husband's shop while he is taking a test for a job. So instead I plan to do a zillion crunches and leg lifts when I get home. I'll at least get in some ab work. But firrst I'm going to measure myself, waite, hiny and thighs. I'm not looking forward to that but I want a reference point so I can see the progress I'm making.

Sharon, I'll keep you in my prayers.
    Georgia

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    Bless you and yours during this very difficult time, my fam and church are praying. I love your manatee SBS.
    I have sitting with a fam member after a minor surgery and have not had much time to log in.
    I have been reading a spirtual book on near death experiences and I love the stories that all have reported they did want to leave the beautiful, loving light and return to their earthly body.
    Believe in the strength of the LIGHT!!!!!!
    KOKO Rosa

• nana24
    16 years ago

Sharon, so sorry about your uncle and family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. May you find peace in this trying time.

Well, I had an off day and haven't done much at all. I didn't walk but we did mow the yard after DH got home from work. It will have to be enough for today but hopefully I'll be walking again tomorrow except we are expecting rain.

Tomorrow is another month, a new beginning. Let's all give it our best-exercise, drinking lots of water and eating better and smarter!!

KOKO Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your prayers. Not only was my uncle a close buddy, he was also my pastor for many years. With him as pastor and an awesome trumpet player, me as church pianist, plus we each had a teen playing trumpet (in those days), there were lots of practices, jam sessions and fun memories. A few weeks ago he mentioned he kept seeing someone standing by him....I told him it was an angel waiting to take him Home at the appointed time.

• nana24
    16 years ago

What beautiful memories!
    Sally

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer