Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannabsd

Any readers out there?

deannabsd
16 years ago

I just finished three books about a women who opened a knitting shop and the people that joined her classes. Very enjoyable. The author is Debbie Macomber. The first book

is The Shop on Blossom Street. The third one has a very similar title. I read them out of order; but best to read in order.

Hopefully someone out there would enjoy reading them.

Deanna

Comments (34)

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm always looking for a good book.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

I'm a reader.....when I'm not sewing. I read The Shop on Blossom Street but don't remember reading the others...I'll have to look for them. I like reading a series that way I know the main characters will be there at the end of the book!

Beverly, Have you read Anne George's Southern Sisters mystery series? They're based in Birmingham and are a hoot! Unfortunately, Anne George passed away unexpectedly after writing only 8 books.

• nana24
    16 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I'll look for those authors.

Sally

• jackier123
    16 years ago

Geezer, I read those books. They are a hoot. Especially when talking about the statue!

Jackie

• noocha
    16 years ago

Yes, they are good books. Look in your public library.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Jackie, Since I'm familiar with the statue in Birmingham and Southern ways, those books were really enjoyable for me.

I also like Fern Michaels series - "Seven vigilante women operating out of Myra RutledgeÂs estate in northern Virginia, in the Revenge of the Sisterhood series" There are 8 books so far, and the first one is Weekend Warriors. Better to be read in order if you can.

These gals get together and make sure justice is served when the bad guys slip thru the cracks of the court system and Myra has lots of money, so that's no object. Plus her 'friend' calls 'Liz' (as in the Queen) and talks to her on the phone. They have a secret 'war room' where they go to hash over their strategy.......

SharonG/FL

• ohiojudy
    16 years ago

How about books by Janet Evonovich? She makes me LOL and then I have to TRY to explain what's so funny to DH. He never gets it. Also Susan Alpert with her China Bayles mysteries, they're great.

• nana24
    16 years ago

Deanna, I picked up a Debbie Macomber book, Susannah's Garden. At the end she is changing careers and plans to buy the flower shop on Blossom ST. I enjoyed it and plan to look for another when I return it.

Thanks for suggesting her books.
    Sally

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Sally, those books are addicting. My mom is 83 and I dropped off one for her before I returned to the library and she stayed up late and finished it. I gave it to her at 6 pm. She has now finished all of them. She has other books but the Susannahs garden and the Blossom Street ones are special. Now mom is reading Jennifer Chiav..... the ones about the quilting retreat. Have a good weekend everyone. Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

For the tea drinkers, there is Laura Childs with her Tea Shop Mysteries. Those are very easy and cozy reads...lots of info about tea.

I love Mary Daheim's mystery series with cousins Judith and Renie. Judith's mom lives in the shed in back of the house and is cantankerous! Judith owns a B&B...I had fun reading the one where Judith had hip surgery, Renie had shoulder surgery and they were both in the same room in the hospital.....what a hoot!

Every once in awhile, I'll read a 'heavier' book, but I like to escape into a land where I know the bad guy is going to lose and give me a few laughs along the way.

Do you know about this site for mysteries? You can look up books by author or character plus a few other ways.....check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stop You're Killing Me

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Count me in on the readers!!! I love to read. Right now I'm on a Peter Jenkin's kick. He wrote Walk Across America, The Walk West, etc... Right now I'm in the middle of Looking for Alaska.

Has anyone here read Three cups of Tea? I have had a few ladies tell me it's a must read.

A quilting book I enjoyed was Legacy The story of Talula Gilbert Bottoms and Her Quilts. I have included a link to amazon so you can read the reviews. Great book.

Vicky

Here is a link that might be useful: Talula Bottoms

• lots2do
    16 years ago

There really is a statue like that in Birmingham...well, I'll be. Thought it was just creative license...
    lots2do

• patruth
    16 years ago

I've been reading Debbie Macomber books for years so I think I've read everything that she has published. My favorites are several she has written about some angels named Goodness, Mercy and Shirley. They get sent to earth to do some tasks and always get in trouble. They are funny. Back in the days that she only wrote small paperbacks I can remember some days I would finish one of her books , read all of one and start another.
    My other favorite author is Ann B. Ross and her Miss Julia books. I think they should be read in order . She will have another one out later this month. I can't wait. I just read the newest Daniele Steel "Honor Thyself". It was really pretty good and kept me awake. If they aren't good I go to sleep after about three pages.
    Pat

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have been reading the Anne George sister mysteries and what a hoot. I brought one along on vacation and really enjoyed it. I also brought a Jennifer Chiavernni?? book that was good also.

Always glad to try a new author. d

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

I just took out three Jennifer Chiaverini books yesterday and am enjoying the first one right now. She has a series (Elm Creek) based on quilting.

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

I'm on Jennifer's newest, Winding Ways Quilt, now. Lots of food mentioned and her next book is going to be recipes so I think it's been planned like this.

My favorite for humor and good winning over evil is Carl Hiaasen. Lots of environmental issues and the bad guys are always destroying the Everglades or something. So very funny.

My quilting has taken most of my time lately and am not reading like I usually do. Maybe later.
    Linda

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

The latest book that I read was The White House Connection by Jack Higgins. I enjoyed it....I'm now reading a book by James Patterson.....I can't remember the name of it but it has to do with some letters from a grandmother, Sam, to her granddaughter.

SharonG/FL-IN

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I noticed that Debbie Macomber has a new book out. I saw it at Wally World. I just can't see buying it for $16.00. My sister and good friend buy a lot of books but we have such a good library that I just wait. I will have to look for Jennifer's new books also. Deanna

• coalaska
    15 years ago

I just picked up Susannah's Garden from my sister last month--enjoyable! I've also read all the Jen Chiav. books (so far), and Vicki, Three Cups of Tea is terrific! Not a novel, but soooo good. My mother is reading it now, and is enthralled.

I'm going to look for some of these other authors--thanks :)

• gillian_41
    15 years ago

Reading-Bridge Of Sighs-by Richard Russo, right now.
    Just finished-Molly by Teresa Crane & Paradise Bay by James Michael Pratt.
    My g/f and I order books online from "overstock.com" split the cost and share.
    Gillian.

• janice__indiana5
    15 years ago

I love to read, but can't seem to get anything else done when I do! I enjoy many different types of book. I've just finished reading the Shop on Blossom Street, because it was recommended here. It was a great read, thanks for the heads up.

Has anyone read any book by Dorthea Benton Frank? She is one of my favorite authors. I've read all of her books, and loved them all. They are set in the south, I think I'm a Southern at heart :) I also like Nelson Demille and David Baldacci.

My MIL and I like to read a lot of the same books. She hates to wait(she isn't very patient at this time in her life)to get them at the library, so she buys alot of books at Sam's club. I'm first in line when she's finished. The bad part is that her houses is FILLED with books. She laughs and says someday you're going to have fun getting rid of all these books :(

I wish our library had more books on tape. I like to play them when I sew.

Janice

• gillian_41
    15 years ago

I like to read Marcia Willetts books she is an English author also Silas House he wrote Clays Quilt.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

I just started reading Back on Blossom Street...I missed Savannah's Garden, but maybe I'll read it later. I see the next one is Twenty Wishes.....I'll wait til later to read it. I think I'll make a list of authors that have been listed here and check them out at the library when I get home.

SharonG/FL-IN

• patruth
    15 years ago

I recently read Debbie Macomber's book Twenty Wishes. It was very good and is another Blossom Street book.
    I'm now reading the Anne George sister mysteries. I'm getting them from the library and trying to read them in order.
    Another writer that I like is Kristin Hannah. I've read about 8 of her books. Of course the best is still Ann B Ross and her Miss Julia books. I also like Earlene Fowler and Monica Ferris.
    Pat

• nana24
    15 years ago

I learned about Debbie Macomber here and just finished reading Back on Blossom Street. NowI see I have to look for Twenty Wishes. I also found 4 of her Texas series on tape at my library and am listening to # 4. I listen in my car going to my DD and back which I'm going to do again this week.

Happy reading.
    Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

I just finished Three Fates by Nora Roberts. It's 467 pages and it kept my interest the whole time...which is not an easy task. An excellent read.....

SharonG/FL-IN-MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Three Fates Review

• amcfeely
    15 years ago

I am currently reading Nora Roberts too. Not Three Fates though. I am reading the second book in her sign of 7 trilogy. The third one comes out in December and I can't wait. I love all of Nora Roberts books.

I am also reading Little Women again. Just because I can and I love it so much. I also have the complete works of Jane Austin next to my bed. I just read which everone peaks my fancy that night. I love the classics but I love the new stuff too.

Amy

• scraphappy
    15 years ago

I've discovered Rosamunde Pilcher - read Winter Solstice, and The Shell Seekers, and just beginning Coming Home. I'm almost sad when the book ends, they're so enjoyable to read!

• solstice98
    15 years ago

If you like to garden as well as quilt, you'll like Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. It's an odd, charming story with great characters. She has a second one out but it's still only available in hardcover.

• nana24
    15 years ago

I see no one has posted here in a while but I'm sure we are all reading.
    Scraphappy, I discovered Rosamond Pilcher sometime back and like her books especially The Shell Seekers-it was made into a movie staring Angela Lansbury who I also like.
    I recently read Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber. I liked it maybe best of any of her books I've read. At the moment I'm reading another of her books called Between Friends. The time frame is my life so it has brought up lots of memories.

Keep Reading
    Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

I'm in the process of reading another book by Nora Roberts. When I was up north, my oldest DD brought me some books from the 'library' at work and she and her co-workers set up to share books. One of them was Blue Dahlia the first of In the Garden Trilogy. Now I'm reading the second one, Black Rose. There isn't any quilting, but there is some gardening, a little romance, and a ghost that loves babies and sings to them. It's a nice read. Now I need to look for the last one, Red Lily.

SharonG/FL

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    I just finished Garden spells and I really enjoyed it. I can't remember who recommended it. The librarian suggested reading others by that author so will check it out when I go today.

I am now reading Weekend Warrior and so really shouldn't check anything else out until I finish that. It is good and hard to put down.

Thanks for the ideas, friends. deanna

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I loved Garden Spells but haven't read her new one yet.

Any Margaret Atwood readers here? I really like The Blind Assassin.

I'm currently hooked on the Twilight vampire series! I know it's really a young adult series but so is Harry Potter and I liked that too.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Deanna, You'll have to read the whole series!!! Those women rock!!!

I haven't read Garden Spells but from what I found online, it sounds interesting.

I'm trying a new author, Lawrence Block and his Scudder series. Plan to start it tonight.

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm