Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

February Health Goals

grammyp
15 years ago

It is time to add to our January goals. For February I will exercise every day. Strength/weight alternating with cardio work outs. I will continue to eat my 5-6 meals a day, I've gotten into the habit now.

Ok, who is next.

beverly

Comments (27)

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

My workout is routine but I need to watch what I am eating. Oh my, it has become a bad habit snacking....and not my healthy stuff.

I think most of it is gone now so that will help.

Deanna

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Started workout routine TODAY YEAH!!!!! Will do some sort of exercise everyday.
    I did work in the yard for about half an hour yesterday, nothing intense, but the weather was beautiful.
    We are having a cold, rainy spell today but I plan to start on my garden just as soon as this passes.
    I have to drink more water, when I worked it was easier, now I am filling up my water bottle and checking it each hour until I get back into the water habit.
    Rosa

• solstice98
    15 years ago

- I'll continue on Weight Watchers with a goal of 5 more pounds off during February.
    - It's gardening season here and I'll be working the yard: cleaning, pruning, planting. I have a long weekend (2/12-16) and DH Jim and I will be working on laying paving stones at a spot in the backyard. That should be good exercise!
    - When the weather turned cold we stopped doing our long walks but I want to get back to those in February.
    I'll do the treadmill when I can't walk.
    - And speaking of exercise, I'm thinking of adding yoga to my list and doing that on alternate days to the treadmill. I need to improve my flexibility and this should help a lot.

Kate

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yoga is good, love the stretches. We do about 20 minutes after spin class and then I just want to fall asleep on the floor I am so relaxed.

Good for you Rosa, do some movement everyday. Jump rope is really good for you.

Deanna, we keep a table with fruit by the refrigerator. It is easier to grab an apple than open the fridge.

Keep up the good work ladies.
    beverly

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Oh grammy p---there is nothing in my refrigerator that is the problem!! It is the stuff on the counters and in my candy stash and Yes!! I buy it. I love to bake and will put half of the batch in the freezer-oh they are yummy frozen too!!!

Just got done doing yoga and boy I love my videos as I don't get to classes often. I just need to rev up the body and say no!!! Last year I did really well with a vegie tray that was always filled--I used a nice glass tray and always had fresh vegies cut on it and I would take it out while I was making supper to snack on.

Take care all. Deanna

• nana24
    15 years ago

Beverly,
    So glad for your encouragement. I did well the first part of the year last year with encouragement from the Gals here. Then the summer slump and I never got back in my routine; then the holidays and I really fell of the wagon. I know in my head it has to be a way of life but it is sure hard to teach an "ole dog" new tricks.
    Finally, yesterday, I walked-been using the weather as an excuse! We had worked in the yard of Sat. and I was so sore it made me realize just how out of shape I was.
    It is cold this morning but it will warm up later and I will walk!

Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Sally I was soooooooo good about exercising when I worked. I had a routine and stuck with it.
    After retiring I not only fell off the wagon it ran over me LOL!!!!!
    Deanna I love frozen home made cookies!!!
    Kate your backyard sounds gorgeous, I miss my yard and growing season in Orlando.
    Beverly is there any type of exercise that you don't do LOL?? I don't know how you find the time to turn out those beautiful quilts with all of your other activities!!!
    I agree the forum helps motivate me, and it is a great way to share ideas.
    Rosa

• salijo
    15 years ago

Well, after 3 or 4 years of watching infomercials of CORE RHYTHMS, I finally broke down and ordered the DVD set last weekend. It's an exercise program based on latin ballroom dancing. Since this will be in the privacy of my own home, and no one will see me clunk through it, I think it should be fun!
    Salijo

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rosa, I will try just about anything once (unless it involves heights or jumping out/off of things). DH has a family membership to the gym at the hospital and I have a membership to the all girls gym in town. They have different machines so what I do depends on where I go. DD talked me into joining SparkPeople and they have a nice collection of exercises you can do at home with little or no equipment, which is nice. I also keep a jumprope on the front porch and use it from time to time when I get bored. Every little thing adds up.

Salijo, if I were more coordinated I would try dancing. The local Rec Center has ballroom dance classes and they really work up a sweat.

Keep up the good work everyone. One day is all it takes. Just take care of today.

beverly

• salijo
    15 years ago

Beverly, this is the beauty of having it all on DVD...Privacy! I can be as uncoordinated and unpretty at this as I want and just have fun!
    Salijo

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, uncoordinated and unpretty certainly do describe me. SparkPeople uses a "balance ball" for some of it's exercises. I have discovered I have no balance. I took kickboxing classes at the hospital gym for a couple of weeks (a friend teaches it) and just about killed myself. I am the world biggest clutz!

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Oh what busy bodies we are!!! great. What is Spark People Salijo? I have never heard of it. Maybe it is a local thing.

We had 50 degree weather yesterday so enjoyed my outdoor walk and also went to yoga class. Topped it off with a chocolate malt with my supper. Need that calcium. !!!Deanna

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SparkPeople is a weight loss website. It is free if you want to check it out. They have hundreds of forums you can join so you can communicate with people with similar interests. They offer exercise videos, demonstrations, and diet tips/menus. I can't say I do everything they suggest, but I do like the site.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: SparkPeople

• salijo
    15 years ago

Bev, I actually have a (dormant) account set up at SparkPeople. I think I may even be a member of a quilting group on there...although I never go there.
    Salijo

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I've been using a balance ball almost every evening but in kind of a non-traditional way. I just sit on it when I'm watching TV! Of course, because I'm on it I roll a bit and stretch my legs, bend my knees, stretch my back, almost fall off, etc. It's not the kind of exercise where you get sweaty, but since I started doing it my knees hurt a lot less and I don't feel as stiff all the time.
    DH Jim has picked up on the benefits and now he's using one too. If anyone walking by looks in our windows at night they probably wonder why these crazy old people aren't using the nice furniture!

Kate

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Salijo, stop by sparkpeople when you get a chance. I really like some of the exercises.

Kate, I have a balance ball too, the only problem is I have no balance. It is so much harder than it looks! Some of the sparkpeople exercises have you balance while doing some of the strength (weight) exercises. It really works you out to use it. Keep up the good work.

beverly

• solstice98
    15 years ago

If you have trouble with the balance ball, take a little of the air out. Once it's a bit squishier you won't roll off as easily!

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

I dug out my balance ball and my weights also. I think I will go get my balance ball and use it as my chair in front of the computer right now. bye bye.. Deanna

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Kate I have a balance ball and I never thought of using it to roll around while I am watching TV. Duh, I can sometimes be so dense LOL!!!!!!!!!
    Beverly I love the SparkPeople site!!!!!!
    Salijo, Beverly and Deanna are very active and will get you going!! Or at least make you feel guilting that you are not LOL.
    After 2 weeks going to the gym I can see that I am getting more toned. YEAH!!!!!!!!
    I had to find a good time to go, most of the ladies use the gym as a social gathering and I need to concentrate NOT talk.
    Thanks everyone for the inspiration, I do feel better, and my stress level has dropped.
    Rosa

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

Oh dear. I need motivation...

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Come on Patsy, swimsuit season is just around the corner. Lets be ready. Just one little commitment. You can exercise 30 minutes a day easy. Just make it 10 minutes of walking 3 times a day. You can do it!!

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Patsy I was exercising every day for years, it helped me thru 'changes' and I felt much better.
    After retiring and moving I stopped my daily routine for 3 years.
    I did exercise, but not everyday as I did before.
    I started back the first of February and the first week I was actually tired, now after 2 weeks I am not tired after exercising.
    Actually, I have more energy. YEAH!!!!!!
    This forum has wonderful motivators.
    Patsy I'll send you a pic of me in my bathing suit to post on your mirror, that will motivate you fur sur LOL!!!!
    I did weigh this AM and I have not lost one ounce, BUT, I can tell a difference. YEAH!!! I 'feel' much better.
    There is just too much negativity and I think many of us are affected by it.
    Hang in there, the economy WILL turn around!!!
    Rosa

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Believe it or not, I am falling behind on my eating. Now with the braces I think "do I really want to go pick out all the debris from the braces if I eat this ... no, I don't". So I am falling behind on my calories, which sounds good, but if you get too low your body thinks it's starving and you don't lose. All that to say, my mouth hurts, but gotta eat and clean the braces.

Thanks for listening
    beverly

• salijo
    15 years ago

Bev....here's an easy "recipe" I developed when I was on a diet once. I think you'll find it enjoyable and "braces friendly"! Sorry, I don't have measurements, I just dump...you'll have to figure out what works best for you! But I'll put in some guestimates.

I usually make this with frozen dark pitted cherries, but sometimes I use frozen mangoes and pineapple and leave out the baking cocoa. You can really experiment with different frozen fruits and you could even add extracts for more variety, such as adding coconut extract when using frozen pineapple.

You must use frozen fruit in order to get a thick shake-like consistency....I don't really care much for fruit smoothies, but this is VERY shake-like.

Easy Chocolate Cherry Shake

Frozen Dark Pitted Cherries (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
    Milk (about 1/2 cup or more if needed for consistency)
    Baking Cocoa (maybe 3 T more or less to taste)
    Sugar substitute (I used Splenda. Use to taste)
    Nuts (optional...add if you need more protein)

Put all ingredients into a blender and blend well.

Salijo

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

I think that I am on the mend and hopefully can get back into exercising again. I had a bout with the flu and then tendonitis in my foot. Really enjoyed reading books for several days in a row but now time to get off the couch and get moving. I think sewing may have also aggravatted the foot. Take care everyone. Deanna

• grammyp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Salijo, that sounds sooooo good. I will have to try it, thanks.

Deanna, glad you are on the mend. Take it easy on that foot for a while.

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Beverly you have my sympathy with braces. My daughter was in a lot of pain from the tightening process, but now they have changed and are not as painful.
    I still think they are annoying.
    I love 'smoothies' I'll try it Salijo!!
    easy smoothy
    1 yogurt
    1 orange juice same ounces as yougurt
    1 ripe banana
    wheat germ if you like, blend
    It tastes better if it is refriged for a while.
    Deanna can you move your foot control on your machine to the other foot??
    I am right handed but I can use my left foot for the control, my sister says she can not make it work with her left foot!
    I have a sinus headache but i going to the gym anyway. Once I get started I'll feel better.
    Rosa