Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19735161

My 1 Year Anniversary of being Tobacco Free

User
15 years ago

Hi Gang,

If anyone is working on stopping smoking & needs help or encouragement, pls. come here & talk to me!

Jan. 24 (last week) was my one year aniversary of being off of cigarettes after smoking for 41 yrs. (I'm only 52). No drugs, no patches, no hypo, no nothin'.

I'm also out of work for 15 months now & I have not allowed the stress of all of this to get me smoking again (tho' yesterday, I sure did want to)!

Anyone needing help w/ this -- I'm your girl!!

Comments (15)

• salijo
    15 years ago

Congratulations...that's amazing! You can be really proud of your accomplishment!
    Salijo

• woodenzoo
    15 years ago

Just wanted to say "Congratulations" for quitting!
    Great that you could do it without any aides.
    The end of Jan. was a year and a half for me, but I used Chantix for a few weeks. After the first day, it was a piece of cake. Now anymore, when I'm stressed and think 'I want a cigarette', it's just not an option. It passes quickly and I move on.
    Strange though, that shortly after quitting smoking, I developed this fabric addiction.... LOL Oh well, at least it's healthier! ;)
    Wish you continued success with not smoking and that you find some employment soon!
    Cathy

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Way to go Pirate girl and all of you other healthier quitters. I wonder what ever happened to Nancii?? She was always posting how many hours and days it had been.

Good job! Deanna

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the congratulations! I'm so proud of myself I could burst.

WoodenZ,

Chantix or not, the key is tht we stopped -- however, we did it -- yippee for us all & booooo (blowing raspberries here) on the tobacco industry whose settlement was a joke & only enriched the coffers of all Attorneys General!

Conservatively speaking (at $7 per pack, tho' here in NYC I believe packs are more than $8.50, NYC sin tax, etc.)), I will be saving $2,500 a year!!! Imagine what a retirement fund, nestegg, vacation &/or BOATLOADS of new fabrics I could buy w/ all that money.

So thanks again & if you know anyone who needs help w/ this, send 'em on over here to me.

I too have wondered abt Nanci, didn't know her, but was very aware of her posts & how she was marking the days, time & money related to her no longer smoking. Nanci wherever you are, we wish you well!

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

CONGRATS!!!!!!
    Been there and I know exactly how hard it is for some to stop.
    I even dreamed about smoking when I stopped!!! It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. My doc told me that they can be more addicting than heroin. Of course, not for everyone, but they were hard to kick for me.
    I can honestly say that I am never tempted now and I know people that have stopped for years and say they could easily slip back.
    Your deserve to treat yourself to a wonderful to a wonderful evening!!
    Rosa

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Big CONGRATULATIONS to you! That is an amazing accomplishment and I am very proud of you. I have never smoked but remember my dad trying to quit and how hard it was. You should celebrate with a nice trip to the fabric shop.

beverly

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Congrats!!!
    DH quit 25 years ago and still says it was the hardest thing he's ever done.

Every year on your birthday you should celebrate by figuring out how much money you've saved that year by not smoking (go ahead and adjust for the rising cost of a pack of cigarettes) and buy yourself something wonderful! Depending on how much you smoked, it could be a LOT of money.

Kate

• sidnee
    15 years ago

Pirate Girl, Congratulation!!

I will be coming to you soon. I need to come up with the money to quit (Chantix) and set a quit date.

I quit using Chantix a year and a half ago, 8 months smoke free, I was in horrendous pain and smoked. I know Chantix works and will be getting it soon.

Sidnee

• aezarien
    15 years ago

So.. did you ever find yourself swearing at the "quit smoking" commercials?

My husband quit cold turkey about a year and a half ago and lord knows I tried but haven't been able to quite kick it. I went from smoking three packs a day to one within that time but I would like to do better than that. I have been thinking about the Chantix. It's good to hear that it has worked well for others.

Pirate Girl - What a trial. I am so proud of you for coming this far.

• love2sew
    15 years ago

Pirate Girl- Whoo Hoo way to go girl. You are a winner and that lst anniversary is such a milestone.

I will be 2 years in April. I used Chantix and never smoked after the 3 rd day. My daughter also quit the same way.

Please don't ask about Nanci. She was the one who got me and my DD through the first weeks. She has some rough times going on in her life and is smoking, but she will quit, she is strong.

Again, congratulations on your achievements.
    Jean

• loisflan
    5 years ago

Happy anniversary, Karen. I quit in 1974 after smoking for about 12 years. It wasn’t hard for me at all. Although I smoked two packs a day, I think I wasn’t “addicted” to it. I never craved them afterwards and could even have a couple now and then without starting up again. I suppose it’s like liquor - some folks can drink and not become alcoholics. Now food - that’s another story. If I could have a dollar for every pound I’ve lost and gained, I could stock a quilt shop. Good job staying smoke-free for 10 years! BTW, what’s a Pirate Girl doing in NYC?

• littlehelen_gw
    5 years ago

Congratulations! Quiting was the hardest thing I’ve ever done and I admire all who have kicked that habit. I quit May 1998, it took me close to six years of start and stop before I was successful. So how goes quilting in NYC?

• User
    5 years ago

The awful addiction to nicotine is not just a physical thing. It's a lifestyle thing, too. I smoked from the age of 14 until I was 55. I loved to smoke and I did it to excess. Both my parents smoked, most of their friends and relatives did it, everywhere you went people smoked. I remember a couple of physicians I went to over the years sat there and smoked in the exam room with you - ashtrays brimming with butts! I remember at the indoor theater that you had to view the screen through a cloud of smoke. Hospital visiting areas and grocery stores had ashtrays. Every place I worked up until the 90's allowed smoking at the desk. Then I had to have cataract surgery in both eyes. I was suffering from considerable smoker's cough and was so afraid of suddenly having a coughing fit right when the surgeon jabbed the scalpel in my eye that I stopped smoking and took up snus. (It's like snuff but you don't spit.) It took a while for the cough to subside but it did. So I continued with the snus until just last year, where I finally got off of nicotine completely but I'm still suffering from the habit of having something in my mouth so now I have the nicotine-free herbal mint pouches. Yes I admit I have a problem with addiction but hey at least I'm finally off nicotine. I say whatever it takes to get off the cigarettes is a good thing. I used to suffer such bad bronchitis for weeks if I got a simple cold. I can't remember the last time I had it since I quit. What gets me is that people who smoke have no idea how much they smell like an ashtray and I didn't realize how bad and offensive I probably was too until I stopped smoking. And even though I'm sympathetic to those who still do it and can't stop, I hate being around cigarette smoke now.

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Good for you!!!

I smoked 3 packs a day, smoked for 37 years. For my 50th birthday I decided to quit (I used Nicorette), took me until I was 51, but I never quit quitting! I'll be 71 in March, so it will be 20 years!!

DH quit a few years after me. He says if he has an incurable disease he will go back to smoking. I told him he would have to smoke in the garage! Not in the house. We could set up a hospital bed in there for him!