Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannabsd

February KOKO

deannabsd
15 years ago

Hello dear friends,

Well we weathered January and hopefully that February will be much better for everyone. It is a short month so we can't put off those goals for long.

So let's all Keep on moving and keep those positive attitudes.

Deanna

Comments (25)

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

My fam (actually DH's, but they are mine too LOL) are having serious health probs. He is the youngest of a big fam. His nephew passed last week and a brother is not doing well.
    He is flying to AZ for a long over due visit.
    Yesterday I made a very healthy, hugh, pot of chicken veggie soup.
    Repotted some plants this AM. Joined the gym so I'm back into exercising tomorrow.
    Yoga doesn't like me LOL, but I am not giving up.
    Enjoy the super bowl if you are into football (I'm not).
    BUT I grew up, and now have moved back, to Glennville, where Shannon Sharpe grew up. He was born in Chicago.
    We have 2 sign coming into town that boast 2 Miss USA's from G-ville.
    They were born here.
    If (when) Shannon gets voted to the Hall of Fame another sign will be added boasting the home of Shannon Sharpe.
    When I was subbing his name came up quite a bit, but the kids (some say they are related to him) say no one ever sees him when he visits.
    I know he is a big name now, but he could do so much for the moral of this tiny county by visiting the schools.
    Just my opinion LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PS I stopped reading the news paperI ( I still skim the highlights) and watching the news on TV because it is WAAAAAAAAAY too depressing.
    There has to be some uplifting stories they can report on!!
    Thanks Deanna for reminding us.
    KOKO Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Deanna, Yes, we got through January....let's just hope February will be a warmer month than January. I did get out and walked down the road the other day when it warmed up, so maybe this week, too.

Rosa, I'm sorry about the family...sometimes it just seems like it's all downhill. I don't read the paper either. In fact, we just get the Sunday paper and only for the TV guide! I've had enough to depress me without help from the media and at times, don't even watch the TV news. Just can't take it anymore. Good for you with the chicken veggie soup....comfort and fiber, what more can you ask for! lol

SharonG/FL

• salijo
    15 years ago

Rosa, I am so sorry to hear your family is going through such a hard time. It's good that your husband is able to go visit. Having your family close by really makes a difference in troubling times.

I do have one question.....who is Shannon Sharpe?
    Salijo

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I have you in my prayers Rosa. Hope things are going better. Yoga doesn't really like me either, but you can find some routines you can do and it really is relaxing. Start slow and work your way into it. Enjoy the gym, I just got back from doing my workout.

beverly

• nana24
    15 years ago

Rosa,
    We just get the little hometown paper. I am friends with the editor's wife. She says Steve just chooses to print local stuff because we get all the other stuff through the tv and other sources. I do read it. Mostly it is local happenings. I avoid tv news as much as possible.

Girls, I walked about 2/3 of my street yesterday. I have to get back to it. I have been using the weather as an excuse since the first of the year. It is cold again this morning but it will warm up and I will walk later and try to go the total route which is 2 miles. I know it is not that far but for one who hasn't done anything for a while it will be great. DH and I worked in the yard on Sat. and I was sore! I really need to get back in a routine.

It is true no one can do it for me. (Giving myself a pep talk)! Pick myself up, dust myself off and start again!

Rosa, are we getting at the age when more stuff happens to our loved ones? I will be thinking of you and your DH in this time.
    Salijo, I will google Shannon Sharpe(sorry to say I don't know either but he must be an athlete). And if he doesn't give back to his community-it is a shame.

KOKO
    Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

I am laughing because I didn't know who Shannon Sharpe was when he played for the Broncos, and I grew up here.
    He is a football legend that is to be in the Football Hall of Fame.
    Both DH and I have large fam's and that can be a burden or a blessing.
    Most of the time it is a blessing LOL!!!!!
    The upside of the fam is a baby shower Saturday, and I have had fun making cute baby burps.
    I am going to the gym again today, it is only a mile and a half from my house and I could walk but it's country with plenty of stray dogs.KOKO Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: Shannon Sharpe

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

I'm a sports enthusiast but don't keep track of everything. I just like to watch the neat plays...although I do have trouble keeping track of the puck in hockey!

I enjoyed yoga when I was younger....probably would enjoy it still if I could get up off the floor. I used to be able to put my toes on the floor over my head without bending my knees....of course, I 'used' to be able to do a lot of things that is impossible today!

Big news here: DGD's high school band has been invited to play at the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans on New Year's Day! They have a special fund-raiser going on called: Band aid! DH drew them a Pirate (the high school mascot) with bandaid's on his shoulder underneath the parrots claws! lol

I walked yesterday....all over Super Walmart....did every aisle in the grocery, shoe and sewing sections!

Today, I really need to get the rest of the binding on the comfort quilt!

KOKO girls.....Sharon

• nana24
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    I feel a little like that crazy song "it's me again" :)
    I have been walking every day for 1 1/2 weeks. I can now do the 2 miles and not be too bad off. It is amazing how quickly I get out of strength when I become a "slacker". Like it or not I guess it has to do with the fact I was born a while ago. :) My brain doesn't think so but I will be 64 in June. I have fought being overweight my whole life. It seems I'd get it that I can not eat everything I like everyday and still be able to walk and breathe. The beginning of last year (with help from here) I really did good but oops. Now I am ready to get serious again. The most positive thing I can say is I only gained back 1/2 of what I lost. I have been known to gain it all and more back.

This does not mean to be a whine but they say confession is good for the soul. ( I weighed today for the first time since the first of Dec-knew it was bad) I hope to be able to say positive things in the near future. Actually, just getting back to walking is very positive for me. I am greatful.

KOKO
    Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Sally, Not gaining back all that you lost is a positive thing! Now, if you lose as much this summer as you did last summer, you'll still be way ahead! I've kind of given up on walking, even though I want to. Am really thinking about getting out some kind of a container on wheels and just walking down the road and pick up trash. It won't be power walking, but at least I'd be outside and moving.

I have the 2 boys Comfort Quilts completed (pics in gallery) and took them to DD3 to give to their dad. Have a few things I'm working on and probably should designate at least half an hour a day on all of them....otherwise, there they sit. I'm to start a new medication for me that's supposed to help me to want to get up off my duff and do something. DH better watch out, I'll be making lists again!

KOKO....Sharon

• salijo
    15 years ago

Mom, who are the comfort quilts for?
    Salijo

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning and hopefully this will find everyone with good weather and happy thoughts. I have 4 days off of work and although DD will be here for some of it my DH works all four of those days so I will be just happy to putz and sew and putz and sew some more.

We have had beautiful weather this week and I did get out for a walk yesterday and the sidewalks were all clear of ice.Yee Haw!!! We may get some wintery mix today though.

I made frosted cut out cookies last night and of course had to sample--they were good. Have a good valentines day.

Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Sal, The house burned down of someone who works at the dealership - they have 2 young boys so Holly asked if I had any quilts made not designated. Nope, but using the panels, they finished up pretty fast. It's nice to have them on hand for times like this.

Deanna, Lovely weather here, DH is off to do some carpentry at DD's house while everyone is at school/working, so I'm alone for awhile. DH never bothers me when he's here, but there's something to be said about solitude every once in awhile.

I want to move some things around next week..getting the twin bed I'm using to load quilt stuff on back into my bedroom...I might be having visitors in a few months...@:)

Have a great week-end everyone.....

KOKO....Sharon

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just got back from the gym and did some weights and walked 45 minutes on the treadmill and came home and ate some bridge mix I have DH for valentines day. He better watch out or he will not even get a taste of the mix. I thought it used to have malted milk balls in it.

Hope you are having a good weekend. Got all my blocks done for the disappeating nine patch..

Deanna

• nana24
    15 years ago

It is cold (mid 40's), I can here you say "aw",Deanna; but that is cold for us. I will walk later. I have now walked at least 5 times per week the last 2 weeks. Yes, Sharon, if I can keep this much off this year I will be better than before. I really do feel so much better when I walk.
    For all of you who have agonized with me about my DD's house, thank you and I have great news. They now have sheetrock where all the holes were and they have a painter coming in this week. She is so excited. The insurance co. has not yet done right but they finally have enough to get the basics done. DD says, I lived this long without wall so furniture is not that important. They will "make do" with what they have and then buy things as she finds the exact thing they want and can afford to do it. SIL says he isn't finished with the insurance co yet but they are the big guy in this fight. They still have to replace flooring but DD thinks they will be able to do that once the painting is done. She says they will then have a party to thank all the people who have helped them.

I have been doing a little sewing. Made a lap robe out of some left over blocks from a throw I had made. Played around with some of my little scraps or "crumbs" as someone on this forum called them. Am working on a little wall hanging based on one I saw on a Sat. sewing show on tv. I am trying to work with things I already have and not buy new stuff. I have way too much stuff and UFO's.
    I had mentioned my Sister-IL brought me lots of sewing things she was getting rid of; I took her a purse she had started and a couple of table runners with fabric she had given me. I think she was surprised and said she didn't expect any of it back but I think she really liked the purse. I would not have used it so I needed to give it to her. (I stick with the same old purse til I wear it out.)

The sun is shining so when it gets above 50 degrees, I will go walk.

Hope everyone has a nice day!
    Sally

• salijo
    15 years ago

Sally, I'm glad to hear things are getting accomplished at your daughter's house. It must be a big load off your mind.
    Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Deanna, My DH likes Bridge Mix, too....I don't remember it having malted milk balls in it because I would have gotten them out before he even saw it! Love those things and that's why I very rarely buy them. Same way with homemade cookies. I can leave the store bought ones alone, it's the homemade ones that I keep putting in my mouth. So, I don't bake cookies anymore.

Sally, Great to hear about your DD's house getting put back together making it more liveable. I hope they can get some kind of satisfaction from the insurance company as they really don't do people right! You pay them big bucks for lots of years then they don't want to pay up...don't get me started.

I've been sewing along with the rest of you.....

KOKO....Sharon

• nana24
    15 years ago

Good morning to you all,

It is supposed to get a little cooler later in the day, so I got my walk in early. My DS sent me one of those forwards about walking the other day. One said "I walk before my brain wakes up and says'what are you doing?'" I emailed her back and said I had til noon! It is much better for me to walk early if I can. Later I think of better excuses not to. :)

I'm not too discouraged but trying hard to watch my food and walking and I still gained 3/4 of a lb. last week. I guess I'm still paying for previous eating or I know about building muscle but believe me I haven't had time to do that. I'm going to KOKO and there is always next week. Until someone makes the 'magic pill' I will have to just keep working at it.

Hope DH and I will be able to get in the yard some this weekend. It is looking more and more like spring is on the way.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
    KOKO
    Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Sally I am so glad your fam is finally getting their home repaired. You let me know if you find the magic pill LOL! You did great losing the weight with so much stress around you so some gain is not had at all.
    Deanna if I was there I would have eaten all of the malted balls. I thought I would get so much done in the 4 days that DH was gone, but the time flew by.
    I did paint the patio and started pulling a few weeds, made a huge batch of Brunswick stew to freeze, no quilting at all (darn it).
    Sharon if you are just not up to par, how are you making all of those beautiful quilts LOL? Hope you are feeling better, family losses are so emotionally draining aren't they?.
    After 2 weeks at the gym (and not really watching what I am eating) I can see that I am getting more toned.
    Beautiful day today, but we are to have frost for the rest of the week soooooooooo I have to cover up all the plants AGAIN!!!!!
    KOKO Rosa

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Sharon, I forgot to say congrats to your DGD for their invitation to the Sugar Bowl, that is so exciting!!!
    Tell her to take plenty of pics for us to see!!!!!
    It didn't seem to be as cold last night as was predicted.
    I have never tried growing an amaryllis inside until this year and it was beautiful.
    I am hoping it will bloom again in the spring outside.
    Can you tell I am itching to play in the dirt LOL!!
    KOKO
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Thanks Rosa, The whole band is really excited about this. As far as me quilting, I think using the panels was helpful to get them made quickly. It seems to have jump-started me to start in again....I have another one ready to put the backing on. Hopefully I'll have it done this week-end.

Sally, That was cute about walking before your brain wakes up.

Supposed to have another freeze tonight! I think it's time for winter to be over....I wanna put away the sweatpants, sweatshirts and sox, I wanna be able to keep the doors and windows open, I wanna put away the little space heater, I want the hummingbirds back, I want to be able to keep the orchids hanging on the porch...it'll come soon enough....ok, I'll be nice.....

Have a great week-end everyone and KOKO......

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Sharon, as my mother used to tell me "you're wishing your life away". But I sure wish it would stay warm, too.

beverly

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HMM.What did I miss about the Sugar Bowl. Sounds like fun-should we all go? I don't even know where it is...

We are expecting 50 degree weather this week!! I have so many indoor things to do because of the end of season basketball tourneys but at least to stick my nose out will be nice.

I ended up with tendonitis and the flu the last week but am on the mend and really need to kick up my workout and also my sewing.... Take care all.

KOKO Deanna

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Glad your feeling better Deanna. I was lucky this year and only had a sinus and ear infection, but it hung around for over a month.
    BIL passed Saturday so we had a quiet week and watched a lot of movies.
    I did go to the gym everyday, but I haven't been doing much else.
    KOKO Rosa

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Geez--where did this month go?? I am still laid up some. I did a half mile on the treadmill yesterday and wow--this is going to take some time or some different treatment. I have gone about 10 days without working out and part of it was the flu also. I have not gone even two days without working out for 4 years and it is interesting how you can get into a habit of reading, sewing, computer time and not even doing some form of yoga. So,,,,I hope to march into March with more determination. I could still be doing my weights, ball, yoga, etc. even if I can't do weight bearing......Does that mean I will wait until March... I think I will try and do a little bit on the treadmill.

Have a good weekend. KOKO.. Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Deanna, DGD's band was invited to play at the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day in New Orleans. We could all crash at Sally's as I think she lives close by there somewhere. I can feel her shuddering! I think what's going around this year is more than the flu...it takes forever to recover from, so take it easy.

((((Rosa)))), I'm sorry about your BIL.....

March is another month....I hope to get out and walk more. It won't be power walking but it'll be a walk.

KOKO.....Sharon