Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

February KOKO's

Just in case some of you are waiting up until midnight....I thought I'd get this going.

Keep in mind I don't spend more than $5 or $6 (if that much) and I look at Walmart, Kmart, Big Lots, $ store, drug stores anywhere that might have the item I'm looking for - which are: DISHTOWELS!!!!! Yes, that's right! I buy new dishtowels every February! Not just any dishtowels, but they have to jump right out at me! There are many pretty dishtowels, but the rule is that a bundle of 5 should almost jump right into my shopping cart! It might even take a couple of weeks, but that's ok, I just keep looking. Then, when I get home, the ones I bought last year get moved up and used for wiping out the sink and a little heavier duty...I very rarely use them to actually dry dishes as I have a dishwasher, but I still like to have them out so I can see them! And the ones I bought the year before usually end up out in the garage! Each year is a different color....last year was browns (with espresso, caffe latte, cafe au lait, mocho, cappaccino written all over them), the year before was blue tea cups, and I think the year before that was green leaves. Once in a blue moon there will be 2 towels and a potholder.

This may be a silly thing to you, but it makes me happy. I started this when I lived up north and by February I was usually tired of the snow and cold, so it was something that cheered me up and brightened up the kitchen.

SharonG/FL

Comments (69)

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

LOST A POUND, LOST A POUND!!!!! Not much but at least I did not gain!!!!!
    I have been exercising but not really watching what I eat too closely. I am trying to eat more healthy than I have been over the holidays.
    I pulled more of the grass from Hades today, what a job. After I was all dirty and getting all of the tools together to go inside I looked back at what I had been working on and the area looked so small!!!!!!!!!
    I had not watched the Oprah show for a long time and today it was great. The authors she had on the show had written about positive thinking and how what you think determines what you get in life. I think that is so true, I think I'll order the book. If you have time check it out on her Web.
    My AC adapter died and I ordered one over the Net. I now have to share one with DH and he is ALWAYS on the computer, so if you don't hear from me much during the week that is why.
    I hope everything is going well with Sharon's fam in Michigan, let's keep them in our prayers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oprah

• nana24
    16 years ago

YEA!! Rosa! It sure feels good to be shedding rather than gaining. I'm PROUD of you. Keep up the good work. KOKO

I saw clips from that show. I've always thought attitude was a big part of my well being. The problem is remembering that in a slump. Tell me if the book is good.

I went to the park and walked this morning. The trail used to say 1 mile and I didn't see the sign this morning but I walked it twice in 33 minutes. I came home and measured my street and it is 1 mile; so if I make the entire street up and back it will be 2 miles. A neighbor told me if I added the side street it will be 2 1/2 miles. I will stick to the 2 miles for a while longer. The reason the park is nicer is two fold-there are parts in the shade and there are houses being built on our street so there are a lot of truck sometime. Still a great place to walk;I should not complain.

Sharon, we are thinking of you. Life is tough.

Have a great day and Rosa, I hope your adaptor gets there quick! We have to keep each other encouraged to keep on keeping on!

KOKO Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone.....DH had cleared our 'cookies' so you know what that meant.....I've had to play the memory game.

Rosa, Good for you!!!! Losing a pound is going in the right direction!!

Sally, I've never heard of torpedo grass but it doesn't sound like it's a good thing.....like no-see-ums, eh? When I go to visit my sister in MN, she always brings a coat to the airport cause I don't have anything to combat the winter weather there! I even left clothes at my daugher's in Indiana last summer cause I knew I wouldn't be wearing it here and there was no sense hauling it back and forth.

Deanna, I love what your SIL put on the back of the pillows she made. I think using the clothing of loved ones to make something helps in the grieving process. When my brother passed away a couple years ago, my SIL gave me a few of his flannel shirts and I made memory pillows out of them. Basically, they are left whole, stuffed with a travel pillow and a little batting in the sleeves. I put velcro on the cuffs so they could wrap the sleeves around them and feel like they were getting a hug.

Surprise, surprise! I've lost a pound, too! Must have been all that shopping and mall walking I did cause I certainly wasn't out pulling weeds. Nope, DH doesn't want me out very often cause he thinks I'll get hurt (or bit) if I stick my head out the door and do anything except get in the van or sit on the porch!

Thank you for your prayers.....

Sharon..KOKO

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Hello all,
    I also went out and bought new towels. Kohls had some valentines ones for 2.99 for 2 which was nice to even get a bargain.

Sharon, the shirt pillow are just precious and what a neat idea of velcroing the arms. Just gives me goosebumps.

Need to get in gear and go for a walk as it is actually 20 degrees and tomorrow 0. I went out of town yesterday and went to my DD gym that she works out at. Wow!Lots of machines and even some new fangled ones that I have never seen around. Of course, I forgot my sweats so did a little workout while she was in class. She wanted to know if people were staring at me since I was in jeans!!! I am sure I will be the talk of the college town!! Take care everyone. I plan to sew this weekend. Deanna

• nana24
    16 years ago

It is a beautiful morning here in So. Louisiana. We went out to vote and came home to walk-2 miles and DH walked with me.
    Yesterday, friends and I went shopping. Our LQS 25 miles away had a sale. I got 25 fat quaters for $25. She was getting rid of fabrics that she'd had to make way for new ones. We had to buy 25 to get the $1 price. Other selected fabrics were 40% off. I got some to border my BOM we just finished. We had a fun day. Sharon, you said that counts for walking right. We left there and went to three other stores that have fabric or quilt items. We did do quite a bit of walking.
    Hope everyone has a nice day to walk.

Sharon, Those shirts bring tears to my eyes. I can see especially a child with the sleeves around them.

Still haven't found my kitchen towels or bath towels. Still looking.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Sally

• lindaoh_gw
    16 years ago

I visited two LQS today. The first was for our Saturday Sampler block and they had added 300 bolts of fabric to the clearance room. I HAD to buy some batiks!
    Then on to the second shop for $1.00 fat quarters. They had 7000 from which to choose. I HAD to buy 41 FQs! I picked 20 pinks and browns for a quilt and then another 8 that were coordinates. The rest of them are for my stash.
    KOKO
    Linda OH

• nana24
    16 years ago

Linda,
    Sounds like you have a wonderful place to shop for fabric. I used to go to a quilt shop in Texas that had a clearance section but we don't have that in our shop now. Who doesn't like a sale table .

Tomorrow is a new week. Let's get out there and walk.

Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Morning fellow KOKOer's and here's to a wonderful week for all of us!!!!!

Deanna, We want pics of your new towels!!!! Good for you cause I'm still looking! I'll bet it was fun going to the gym with your DD. Who cares what the kids are saying....you'll be remembered! lol

Sally, Working on the shirt pillows was good for me, too. I initially was making one for my little nephew who was really close to my brother, but ended up making 2 more as others found out about it. There really isn't much a person can do for a youngster except hold them when their grampa leaves this life.

You know, all that movement of picking up FQ's from the shelves and hefting bolts of fabric uses muscles, so yeah! that works!!!!! Plus, you had to carry the packages into the house, right???

Linda, Lucky, lucky you!!!!! At least you went in with an idea for colors and shades you wanted! With over 7000 to choose from, I would have been sooooo confused if I didn't have a plan! I probably should make it something that I do for myself once a month....go to the LQS and check out the sale wall. There are a few $1 FQ's but usually nothing that calls me.

Yoohoo, Rosa...can you hear us calling you? Hope you can get back soon.......

I know I feel better when I get out and walk....late this afternoon we'll be going to Walmart after taking DGD to dance class, so I'll do some walking there. Tomorrow, it's the mall...it's too cool right now for me to get outside and walk.....only in the low 50's. brrrrrr

.....Sharon

• nana24
    16 years ago

Hi to all,
    Had to go tothe post office to mail valentines to Grands so I stopped off and walked in the Park again. I've decided it is good to walk in different places if possible for a different view. I walked the trail twice and then a little more to cool down but found it hard to slow my pace.Totally I walked 43 minutes-the first 2 miles took about 35 min. It is in the 60's today and just great for walking! I've got one month til I go back to the doctor so hopefully by then I can convince her I'm serious about getting healthier. I really do dislike taking medicine.

Rosa, we really are missing your presence!! Hope you get your need computer fix soon!

Yes, Deanna we'd like to see you new towels. Hope everyone shares them as they find them.

Have a great week everyone!
    KOKO Sally

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Hello all, Everyone sounds like they are moving and grooving and doing some walking.

But for those who are walking in 50 degree weather, why don't you hop on a plane to South Dakota?? We have 4 new inches of snow that I just shoveled and maybe it is 15 degrees-actually quite pleasant. I can share winter coats with some of you.

I would love to photograph my towels but I am not the sharpest on uploading or whatever it takes to get the photos on line.

Sally, I have a park that I walk around also. It is 9/10 of a mile and it is 2 blocks from my house. There is a side walk that is usually cleared depending on how much it drifts. Has anyone walked with the books on tape? If you have a good book it makes you want to keep going.

Better go dust off the treadmill and do my mile. Deanna

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, it was so nice to know I was missed.
    The FQ's are a great find.
    I have been looking for kitchen towels too, but I haven't found any that just strike my fancy.
    We have a new Alco and I have purchased bath towels from them to learn to use my embroidery machine and have given them to my fam. They appear to be good quality, 100% Egyptian cotton, wash well with a minimum of fading, and the fam has liked them.
    This weekend they had them on sale for $2.99 (they are usually 4.99) and I bought 2 to make into bath wraps. I was pulling off the tags and under the Alco tag was a price tag of $16.99. They are sold as seconds but for the life of me I can't find anything wrong unless they are last years colors.
    Love the shirt pillows Sharon, they are a wonderful idea.
    I just checked my adapter delivery and it still is today. Whoopy!!!!
    LOST ANOTHER POUND FOR A TOTAL OF 2!!!!
    Have a great day everyone,
    KOKO Rosa

• nana24
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    Sorry to brag, Deanna, but it was in the 60's for my walk this morning. Beautiful weather. They say it will rain tonight and that means it will get colder again but no lower than 30's at night probably. It is the dampness that makes it so unpleasant. Your park sounds like a dream.
    Deanna, You can't be any more computer challenged than I am. There were instructions by "colleeny" posted a year ago on here. I'll go see if I can find it. That is how I learned how to post pictures and still have to get out the paper I copied to post them. I'll be sure it is still there and let you know.

Rosa, glad you are back! Congratulation on your pound!
    KOKO I'm not familiar with Alco but sounds like a place I'd like to visit. Don't we all like a bargain.

Sally

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Good morning. Still chilly in the midwest so relying on indoor walking the last two days. I think it was -10 when I went to work yesterday but supposed to be in the 30's at least one day.

Someone was kind enough to send me a link for dowloading/uplading photos; so I will try and do that this weekend.

We used to have an Alco in town and that is where all the fabric for my daughters first quilts came from. Many times it was flat folds, is it still. There are still a few Alco's sprinkled across the midwest.

KOKO Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good job everyone for KOKO!!! Eventually, it does make a difference.

Sally, I've never thought about listening to books on tape while walking....good idea! I should get myself to the library anyway.

Deanna, I don't think the SD winters and my body would get along very well. But I'm glad that someone enjoys the cold weather.....when I was younger it was invigorating to get out and play with the kids in the snow and cold, but no more.

Rosa, I'm still playing around with the idea of getting an embroidery machine. But first, I have to find a place to put it. Maybe if I clear up my sewing area, there would be a place!!!! Great find on the bath wraps!!

It's rainy here today....about 66º right now.....I woke up at 5:30 this morning.....must be because I went to bed at 10:30 last night.....it's usually 1 or 2am when I finally turn out the light. I'll be napping this afternoon for sure.

Today.....finish sewing the Sudoku top together and finish arranging the Baltimore Blues block. Hmmmmm, maybe, everytime I go into the bathroom, I'll walk in place for 5 minutes while reading a book. That'll be something different!!! DGD will wonder what a timer is doing in the bathroom!!!!! lololol @:) I'm still looking for dish towels.....

• nana24
    16 years ago

Goodmorning,
    Sharon,I got a chuckle out of the timer in the bathroom. It is fun to make them wonder. I've not tried walking in place.

Deanna is the one who mentioned walking with a book on tape but I think it is a good idea. I'm going to the library today to get something to take with me on a trip to my DD tomorrow. I'm going to spend the weekend with my DGC while DD&SIL go for a weekend trip.

Deanna, I know you think we are wimps but we are just not accustomed to such cold. It is 43 here this morning. The rain you have, Sharon, must be what we had yesterday and last night. I am waiting for it to warm up some to walk. The sun is shining but the wind is also blowing.

Deanna, looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Rosa, did you get your computer part and get it going again? Hope it is soon.

Haven't done much shopping lately but am still on the hunt for my towels.

KOKO Sally

• nana24
    16 years ago

Just checking in to say I walked. Temp 46 but the sun was shining-the wind didn't feel too good. But I walked my 2 miles. Gotta KOKO!
    Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Our weather is sunny but cold. Tonight it is going to be in the low 30's.
    I did walk for a mile, and we went out to eat with Mom and Dad and 3 of us shared a dessert.
    KOKO Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It was 32º in the carport this morning with a very thin crust of ice in the birdbath....was chilly most of the day. I walked some but not as much as yesterday. When the weather warms up, maybe I can get back up to the 2 miles I was doing last year.

I'm disappointed! DGD didn't say word one about the timer!! Oh well, she's used to our off-beat ways. @:)

DH bought Hawaiian pizza for our Valentine dinner. Ham, pineapple, green pepper and double cheese. I bought for him what he loves.....a mince pie.

KOKO, girls. You're all doing a great job.....

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

I have visions of all of you in your shorts enjoying a nice day to walk :) It is quite windy here and I was going to take in some cross country skiing since we have some nice snow but just a little too windy and tomorrow when I am off it is supposed to be -9. Got my mile in though and going to sew tomorrow.

KOKO Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was in shorts yesterday.....had an unexpected road trip, started out in shorts today and changed to pj pants. It really cooled down quickly! Had SIL take the van in for a travel look-over and I'm now $268.84 poorer! ...something about the carborator. Good thing he took it in though so nothing would happen on the road. He's a Service Advisor, so I know (hopefully) everything was done correctly.

The big news is......

Couldn't resist.....on sale for $4.50! I'm happy, I'm happy, I'm happy...... @:)

• nana24
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    You "done good" !! And for 4.50!

Now for confession/crying time. I spent 4 days with my DGC and took them out to eat and ate what they did and did not walk and my scales said so this morning!! OK I'm back on the wagon. It was harder to walk my 2 miles this morning but I had to jump right back in. I will probably take me 2 weeks to take off what I gained but I have to KOKO.

I did find one dish towel and a pot holder to match but I paid 2.99. It is an Easter theme and I really got it to hang on oven door. As soon as DH gets the program loaded on this new computer, I will take a pic. I was really excited about my find.

Still haven't found my bath towels.

Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Sally. The grands will do it to ya every time! But, think of the memories they will have of you going out with them!!!! I think the memories make it worth it! Do you have any memories of your gramma taking you out to eat? I don't.....but, I can remember my mom, her mom and me making the rounds on a lot of Friday mornings to rummage sales. You don't hear about those anymore. They were store fronts that clubs would rent to sell things like yard/garage sale items. Anyway, I'm always looking for ways to make memories for the grands....and now, great-grands. The oldest great-grand is 7 so she might remember me when she's older.

Hip Hip Hooray!!! Being excited about the dish towels is what it's all about! Anything that puts a smile on my face in February, I say, go for it!!!!

• nana24
    16 years ago

Yes, Sharon, the memories are what it is all about. The two I spent the weekend with are 10 and 7 years. My DD told me yesterday that my DGS-age 10, was telling her all about what we did and where we ate. She said so in other words Nana spoiled you and then left you here with me. He grinned and said yes! It is so special.

The weather here is beautiful and mid 60's. I walked in the park-2 miles-36 min.

Deanna, though I feel bad about your bitter cold, this summer I'll be jealous because you can go outside and not melt as we will!

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Sally

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Ok-some of you must be in bikinis by now LOL...Another cold front coming through but did do 1 mile around the park after work; it had actually melted some.

Geezerfolks, what is a suzuku quilt. I know what the game is but never heard of a quilt.

Take care everyone and keep on moving. Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yesterday was a bit traumatic....DH finally went for an eye appt (after 10 years!!!) His glaucoma numbers are in the 30's. So, we had to find an Opthomologist to do an extensive vision kind of test...(we found that out after calling a bunch of places to see if they'd accept our insurance and they were wondering why the doc he saw didn't prescribe glaucoma meds as she was qualified to do....so we called her back and asked and she said our ins wouldn't let her, that we needed a physician Opthomologist)....anyway, you should have been here. Two hours he called around....way out of town, too - one place was called twice....oh well. He told one gal the optomotrist wanted him to see a proctologist and then told her the dr told him to keep his eyes in a dim place.....he mentioned gynocologist once, too. Anyway, once we found out our insurance should be billed for this under physician and not the vision part, we found one pretty quickly. His appt is March 17th at 2:30. It was pretty hairy there for awhile. I was sitting on the sofa and kept telling him 'opthomologist' when he'd get to the place where he hesitated in saying it.

Before all this happened, I walked the plaza for about 25 minutes....had to walk in the parking lot in order to stay in the sun. It was windy so made it cooler. The furnace went on last night and I have it set at 62º...looks like it's going to be another cool day today.....no bikini here. I cut out a Sunbonnet Sue last night and fused her down kicking over a snowman! I think she's tired of the snow and cold! Going to see if I have any itty bitty buttons stored away somewhere. @:)

Deanna, A Soduko quilt pattern is just like the game only you use fabric squares instead of numbers and sash each 9-patch in black. I'll try and get a picture today. There are some shades I shouldn't have used, but if I do another one, I'll know better....they're too blah...I think they should all be vibrant/bright.

I should lay off the carbs for a couple weeks.....that's doable, right?

Here's to a better day today.......

SharonG/FL

• nana24
    16 years ago

Oh, Sharon, what a day!! I know nothing about glaucoma #'s but it is always disconcerting to be sent to another doctor and then not to be able to find one.

I found my bath towels last night at Wally world,YEA! I can't photo anything right now-new computer new problems. My husband is working on a solution.

Sharon, if I eat no carbs I'm unable to function in a few days. I found something that works for me because I am a carb addict. I eat carbs within a well balanced meal once a day. The rest of the day I steer clear of carbs even a bite. I have a book-very informative- if you are interested I could give you the name. I have been on every diet that exists-some really crazy but this seems to work for me. It is really supposed to be a lifetime plan. About 3 years ago, I followed it and got to a reasonable weight but then I got off it and gained most of it back. That is the story of my life-yo-yo. This time I am also walking on a more regular basis. And I have to go to the dr. next month and the first thing she does is weigh me.
    She has also been checking my blood sugar. She tested and thank God I don't have diabetes. I think she thinks I'm a candidate. Don't know of any in my family.

I did walk this morning and the weather is beautiful!

Deanna, no bikini here. I don't want to scare anyone!

Sharon, I like Sunbonnet Sue. Kicking a snowman-it sounds cute. Post a picture please.

Rosa, we miss you.

Great day to everyone!!

Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

I WOULD NOT EVEN WEAR A BIKINI TO SHOWER IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Mother had galucoma surgery on both of her eyes and the doc gave her 20/20 vision. She does not wear glasses at all.
    DSIL had the surgery on one eye so now he has great vision in one eye and for some reason the doc is waiting for the other eye to be repaired.
    Love the kitchen towels, I am still looking.
    We golfed on Sunday and the weather was beautiful, we walked. Mon and Tues was rainy and cold. Today is beautiful and the rest of the week is supposed to be rainy and cold.Spring is on the way because we have pollen everywhere.
    I did look up the Sudoku pattern and I like it.
    I lost 1 more pound!!!!
    KOKO Rosa

• nana24
    16 years ago

Congrats on that pound, Rosa!! KOKO

Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know much about glaucoma either, but I have an idea I'm going to find out. The doc told him what damage has been done is permanant...we'll see what happens in March.

I had fun doing the Sunbonnet Sue...pic is in the gallery.

Sally, I did the South Beach last year and did well on it. After the first 2 weeks, carbs were allowed back in. What I really noticed the most when on low carbs, my tummy and diaphram area isn't as 'puffy' and I like that there isn't a 'shelf' to rest my arms on!!! So, yes, too many carbs are my enemy. What's the name of the book that you mentioned?

Rosa, Congratz on losing another pound!!! You sure are a KOKOer!!!!

It's rainy and cool here today....good day to stay inside and sew. Gonna be more aware and make better choices about what goes in my mouth today. @:)

SharonG/FL

• nana24
    16 years ago

It has been raining but seems to have stopped. Maybe I will get to walk today after all. We were under a tornado watch but it has been lifted.

Sharon , the book is The Carbohydrate Addist's Life Span Program. It is by Drs.Richard and Rachael Heller. It is from the late 90's. I think they have written several things and you might find it at the library. It goes into a lot of explanation about how our bodies work, etc. Some of it is above me but it helped me.

I have know people who did the South Beach but don't really know much about it. I think you do what works for you.

Gonna go walk before it starts to rain again!

Have a great day!

Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Everyone I knew was on THE Adkins. I tried it and it was just not for me. I did lose some weight but it was a blah diet for me and I am the one that takes ther bread off their hamburger to eat it!!!!!!!!!! Now I just try to eat light at dinner which is not easy for me, I am not a breakfast eater so I am hungry at night.
    Yesterday it was rainy and cold so I made the mystery quilt that Grace posted from QuiltBug. It was really fun excpet for the 2 squares I sewed in wrong and now I have to take some of it apart to correct!!!!
    This has been a stressful family week and my niece is on med leave so her and my sis are coming over this afternoon to see if DH can 'tweak' her body into place a little (auto accident).
    Sharon I am not normally a SBS person but yours are so cute and I have many little girly girls in the fam so I am going to practice with my machine and learn to applique one. Yous guys always manage to elevate my mood!!!!!
    Your are being used HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have a wonderful day.
    KOKO Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info about the book, Sally. Carbs and I get along so well, they attach themselves to me and don't want to leave so I'm being careful. I like your idea of once a day. Since my drastic colon surgery 4 years ago we've been eating a lot more fiber....not necessarily raw veggies.

Rosa, I think you and I could be twins! Food at night is one of my downfalls!!! I don't usually start eating until 10:30 or 11 in the morning....then it seems like every 2-3 hours I need to put something in my mouth.....even if it's just a boiled egg or cheese stick.

I stayed the same this week.....better than gaining. I had planned on giving blood today, but the way I'm feeling right now, I need it for myself.

One of my DD's wants me to make a Sunbonnet Sue being smothered by a manatee......she is soooooo bad! But, I'm clearing off my sewing area so I can see what I've been sewing and maybe get a March Shamrock tablerunner top completed today. Someday, it'll all come together......I just have to think KOKO....... @:)

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Sharon I have given up trying to clear off my sewing area!!! Both of my DGD's and my DD would love a SS being smothered by a manatee. Or a Boa Constrictor for that matter!!!!!!!
    I made a a tablerunner last night and I am quilting it today. This one is for my table by the front door and I want to make a longer one (same pattern) for the dining table. It is a fun and addicting pattern, but it is sooooooooo pretty.
    We had bad weather (lots of rain but we needed it) M & T, Wednesday was beautiful and T & F nasty.
    Today we played golf and went to the China buffet. Maybe you can make a SS of me being smothered by food!!!!!!
    DH and I are in a Nielson review and there is NOTHING on tv. I do like Medium and it started the new season last week, other than that everything is into the 3rd or 4th repeat.
    Have a wonderful day,
    KOKO Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosa, What pattern did you use for your tablerunner? Have you put a pic up yet? I did the Shamrock runner top done but don't have the backing on it yet.

One of my other DD's suggested a Girls Gone Wild SS for Spring Break week.....I sketched one out last night...LOLOL I cracked myself up and DH, too!!! I want to start working on it tomorrow. I like the idea of a boa constrictor, too..maybe a 'fluffy' one?????

We've been watching a lot of sports lately, and have been recording movies that are on late to watch during our evening TV time. I like Bones, The Closer and The Girls Murder Club. DH likes House, NCIS and K-Ville.

I love a Chinese buffet.....guess I'll have to drag (likely story) DH to one this week. We try to eat out at least once a week....

It looks like it's going to be another cool, rainy week, but that's ok, we've needed the rain.....

hugs to the KOKOers........

SharonG/FL

• nana24
    16 years ago

Hi to all KOKO's,
    Sharon you are having too much fun with those bad SS. Just be sure to share them with us!!

I made a SS today to put on a pillow for a friend who has cancer. She used to live close by but has moved to be near family. She is about to have chemo again and I thought she might rest on it and remember she is cared for. It is just a Sue stopping to see a flower. I still can't post pictures. Our photo program will not load on the new computer. May have to get a new camera.

The weather was beautiful here today. I should have walked. The weather is supposed to get rainy again. I was able to walk Mon thru Fri. this past week. I weigh tomorrow-hope my scales don't yell as loud as last week.

I am helping a neighbor teen with learning to quilt as a school project. She came by unexpectedly on Thur and I was really embrassed about my sewing room so after she left I got busy and "straightened up". I honestly don't understand how people keep everything in order. That is why my room has doors! :) Just as soon as I get it clean, I start a new project and there is a mess again.

Hope everyone has a great week. If it rains, we can sew!

KOKO Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Sally that is why people should CALL before they come over!!!!! LOL
    I had my daughter & son trained to call and not just drop by.
    Retired, moved back to my home town, and about half of my family just drops in. DRIVES ME NUTS!!! Oh well, I love them and at least they do come over right???????
    My sewing room is always a disaster so don't feel embarrassed. I am the same way , I clean after a project and then it is a mess again in no time. I am sure it bothers you MUCH more than it bothered her. You are a wonderful person to teach her to quilt. I miss quilting with my 11 & 13 year old DGD's but they will visit during the summer and then my sewing room looks even worse (if that is possible!!!!)
    Look at it this way, as a teenager can you imagine what her room probably looks like. I am basing this assumption on what MY teenagers rooms looked like!!!!!!!!!!!
    We are going to have rain for the rest of the week also.
    KOKO Rosa

• nana24
    16 years ago

Yes, Rosa, teen rooms are usually a mess and I'm sure hers is too. I guess it was really because I'd been thinking for a couple of days I should clean up and didn't.
    Although I make a practice of calling and don't just drop by, I really do not usually mind. I grew up in a rural area where it was a practice. What I really miss is folks around here don't visit at all. I occasionally see a neighbor in the yard or more often at the store. A couple neighbors, who sew, and I have decided to get together in a couple of weeks to talk about a sewing group. I have a group I get together with on Thur. afternoon to sew but none of us live close together.

I walked this morning. The humidity was probably 99%. They are promising rain again so I was afraid to wait but it is actually turning out to be a great day. My scales were happier this morning. I lost what I'd gone up last week plus a little more. I just have to KOKO and I'll get to where I need to be. Just hope I can walk everyday this week.

Hope you all have a great week!!!

KOKO Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sally, Good for you for helping your neighbor teen! I think it's ok about your sewing room.....because, that's the way it is! And, if she's going to be a quilter, she needs to know that! I'm thinking there are more sewing rooms like yours and mine than not. Unfortunately, I can't close a door on mine.....but, I'm the one living here and DH doesn't mind....soooooo, that's the way it is. When family comes to visit, I just put everything around the sewing table and cover with a sheet.....they understand that I'm retired and now finally have time to enjoy life.

I'm sorry about your friend with cancer....I'm sure she'll appreciate the pillow and find comfort in it. It's a nasty disease and if they can't find a cure, maybe they should be looking into a vaccine for it.

It's only 70º but mighty humid today....I can see how it can be difficult for some to breathe. I turned on the fan to stir up the air....

The month is winding down....and so am I. I have 2 friends who had deaths in the family over the week-end.....an acquaintance of my DD's had a suicide in her family.....I'm glad March is almost here......but, what that means is our oldest DD will be 48 on Monday....

OK, girls......what will you focus on in March???? For me it will be 3 things, one quilty, one healthy and one Spiritual...

Complete one UFO (besides my other quilty things)
    Exercise/walk at least 3 times a week.
    Read my Bible daily (Even though I pray daily, I've fallen behind in the reading area of my life and I miss it).

At this point, it's KOKO....

• nana24
    16 years ago

Hi all from So.LA,
    I walked this morning. It rained a little before daylight but was clear so I went out thinking it was 70% as my computer screen said at 7:30. I knew it felt a little cooler than that and when I got back it said 61%. I'm not sure how often it is updated but obviously we had reached our high for the day early. Today I added the little extra street and walked about 5 minutes more. I hope to add that 2 days a week and maybe later work up to everyday. I really didn't feel much different so I think it is do able but I will work into it.

Sharon, I think your goals for March sound great. I am fortunate to have a group of friends who have Bible study together on Fri. mornings. I also read most mornings with my DH before he goes to work but I'm sure my personal reading and study could improve.
    As I said above I plan to try to increase my walking just a little.
    I keep telling myself I want to clear up things I started and haven't completed but there is always something new and interesting. What a dilemma! Right now I am working on tops for 2 of my sisters. I do block of the month at our LQS. Then I hope to work on ufo's- Tell myself no new projects! Oh well, it's all fun!

I'm keeping March kinda open for the teen I'm helping so her project can get done on time.

Sharon, sorry for all your losses in Feb. Yes, cancer is a nasty disease. We lost a friend this week to cancer. My friend who moved is fighting it for the second time.

Let's all keep walking!
    KOKO Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Sharon I also have fallen down on my reading and I restarted last night. It does help my attitude so much.
    Any loss is hard but a suicide seems like such a sad waste of life to me. I also think it leaves the family and friends feeling a great deal of guilt for not being able to help more. I have been there, I worked with the person and we sometimes had lunch and I had no idea what was going on in this person's mind.
    Sally I was laughing at your post before, one of the things I had written on my list of things to do for the NEW YEAR was CLEAN UP AND ORGANIZE MY SEWING ROOM.
    I am making new curtains for the windows and I must finish them!!!!!!!!
    Yucky weather all week so it is a good time to read and clean. Well maybe read and quilt!!!!!!
    KOKO Rosa

• nana24
    16 years ago

Rosa, At least our intentions are good when it comes to keeping our sewing room in good order. Mine is better but I never get it prestine like some pictures we have seen here. If I did then I would not be able to find things. I do that around the house. Sometimes I put things away so well I spend time hunting for them. :)
    What are your new curtains like?

I just walked 2 miles. The sun is bright but the wind is brisk and it is 45 degrees. A little cold for me but after I walked a little only my nose was cold. I'm in my 3rd week of walking all five days. Yea! That is my goal -to be able to walk at least 5 times a week.

Hi Sharon and Deanna.

By the way I wore an outfit on Mon night that had not been able to get into for sometime. It was a good feeling!

KOKO Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

WAY TO GO SALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You are doing great. I always lose inches before I lose pounds. We were going to play golf today (and we walk instead of ride the carts) but DH started a cough last night and it is going down to the low 20's tonight. I play so bad that it is really a great work out for me.
    Hopefully the rest of the week will not be as cold.
    I want to quilt curtains to go in my sewing room and I really have no idea what I want at this time.
    The room has 2 wide and 6 ft. long windows and faces the NW, more towards the west, so I get lots of sun which I like. But, the bright sun is not good for the fabrics and the machines in the room. I had curtains and they faded so I bought a thick $1 a yard from Wal-Mart and embroidered 3 fairies at the top. The material does not sew well at all but I think it will do until I figure out what I want. The room is off white, not pink, that is just how bright it is from the sun shining in the other windows. That white bow sitting on the red material has been sitting there since Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rosa

{{!gwi}}

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Sounds like some of you are trying to compete with the midwest for nice weather. We had 48 degrees yesterday and nice today. Of course, it is sloppy with the snow melting. Unfortunately, didn't get out either day to walk so had to use the treadmill.

Opted to go to yoga today but had a hard time focusing. I had dropped off my sewing machine on the way in and they can't even look at it until next week so during class I kept thinking--just go buy a new one rather than spend money on cleaning, etc. Of course, didn't solve anything.

I found a neat walking program for those of us in the 50 category. They suggest walking with light hand weights and for 4 minutes you just walk with the weights and then on the next minute you keep walking and add some specific arm exercises. There are three different arm exercises that they suggest and then keep repeating the process for a total of about 49 minutes. I really felt like it motivated my workout. It was in the newest Health magazine. I walked around the house one day and the next day tried it on the treadmill.

Those of you that are shedding the pounds-HOORAY! Isn't that such a good feeling. I had come to figure out that if I eat at home, I can maintain and maybe even lose but go out to eat and it is an instant gain. I think my body just sucks in the salt, etc. like a sponge.

Good to keep in touch with you all. Feel sad, when our site is quiet. Soon it will be March. We should be marching into our walking!!! KOKO Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GOOOOOD MOOOOORRRNNING LADIES!!!!

I'm freezin' my keester off here....it's in the low 30's. Our fruit trees have tons of buds on them......we covered the orange tree in the yard and hope it's ok. The others are in big pots sitting on old lawn mowers (that have had the motor removed) so they can be rolled in and out of the greenhouse for times like this. I think I'm staying inside today.....been trying to hold off on getting a cold/flu or something....

Sally, You are doing excellent for even thinking about walking 5 times a week....and for 2 miles???? You go girl!!! You are indeed fortunate to be able to have a home Bible Study with your friends. I think having home/personal Bible Studys with friends puts a special bond to a relationship. Keep us posted about your teen neighbor's project, ok? How wonderful that she's interested enough, and feels comfortable enough, to ask for your help.

Hey Rosa! And, just what's wrong with pink?! lol I keep saying I'm going to get me an embroidery machine so I can play like you do, but I haven't yet. It won't bother me if your white bow sits there til next Christmas....as long as it doesn't bother you. @:) It's nice to have those big windows and get natural light, isn't it? I have 3 sliding glass doors in the living room, one back where I have my sewing area....this one faces north, has vertical blinds and a bunch of bamboo growing outside all along that side of the house, so it doesn't get too bright.....makes it nice. I used to go with my DH and his friend when they would practice for their golf league. I never was any good at it and didn't really enjoy it, but I liked walking around the golf course.....this was waaaaaaay back when.

Hi Deanna! How are things going for you and your DH? Don't you think you need a second machine for times like this? Get a good used one or something....it isn't healthy to be without a sewing machine! Good idea about the light hand weights....maybe a can of veggies in each hand???? Maybe the days I don't get outside to walk, I could do that in the living room while watching TV. I used to enjoy yoga so much, but now my body won't let me do a lot of the positions....plus, getting down on the floor and then getting up is a major problem. @:)

Sunbonnet Sue Girls Gone Wild on Spring Break is almost completed and should be ready for showing in a day or so. I think she's tastefully bawdy.....

Don't worry about what your sewing area looks like...I'll always win that prize!

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

I woke up with a terrible headache and I was hoping it was just sinus from the heat being on. I think I am getting DH's sniffles. SHOOT!!!!Tonight is going to be the the 20's again.
    I was finishing an autograph baby shower quilt for my niece today.
    I watched an old Simply Quilts with Sharon Pederson and I want to try her reversible quilts this weekend. The weather is going to be really nice the rest of the week so I am going to take cold stuff in herbal tea before I go to bed tonight.
    Being sick is such a waste of time!!!!!!!!!!
    Looking forward to seeing the 'Wild Sue's on Spring Break' I love your imagination!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deanna, I goofed big time! Your prayer request was for someone else, not DH.....I apologize. Please check your email.

Rosa, Me, too...I didn't get a flu shot this year...haven't seen the doc since last April..in fact, they mailed me the paperwork to get my bloodwork done at the lab! We're supposed to have another freeze tonight....I have the living room closed off with the heater going in there so it's nice and cozy in that room....I might even sleep in there tonight! I thought I would be able to finish Sue today, but didn't...I hate changing thread...don't know why cause it's easy.....just hate doing it. You got me going on table runners again.....I have a couple tops done...now need to finish them.

My eyes are closing and it's only 8:30! What's up with this????

• nana24
    16 years ago

Sharon, Hope you are warmer by now. At 7:00 am it was 39 degrees but by 9:00 it was up to 50 so I walked. It isn't supposed to get that cold tonight. If it's too cold and I wait until after Bible study, I may walk in the park since I'm passing there anyway.

My teen/student came by today and we started a PP tea cup-I made a mistake right off and had to confess and take out some stitching for her. At least she sees we all make mistakes and have to rip. She is going to come back tomorrow and finish it. It is a good size for a pot holder so she can get the concept of putting on the batting and backing.

Rosa, that bow looks like decoration to me! :) I have blinds in my sewing room and then just a valance at the top that was originally curtains in the playroom in our previous house. They were too cute to get rid of but not long enough to use as curtains so I just cut them. The top is just a plain fabric but I made 6 inch blocks along the bottom for each GC. Each initial, a block for their birth months and then just a couple extras. The K for kite was just for fun because I liked having the kite tail hanging down. If I get back to being able to post pictures, I'll post one of the curtains.

Every body keep moving and watch out for those hidden calories!

KOKO Sally

• deannabsd
    16 years ago

Hello,
    Opted to enjoy the outdoors last evening as it was in the high 40's and went for couple mile walk with my DH. Had to walk in the streets as it is so sloppy out with the thaw. Thanks for your note geezer-had to chuckle at it.

Oh sally, why did you remind me about the hidden snacks!! I have a new recipe for monster like cookies and whipped some up and boy did I chow down!!I am not eating between meals during lent so I just add them to my breakfast, with my supper, etc. Guess I have to lift more weights today.

Please don't let those oranges freeze. Can't imagine that we are having weather in the 40's and in the south you are down in the 30's.

I am anxiously awaiting the Sunbonnet Sue and spring break. How funny.

Better get ready for work. Have a good one everyone as we prepare to march into march. Deanna KOKO

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's 8:30am and up to 44º already....woooohooooo....my sister in MN thinks we're havin' a heat wave!

My DD just called....a teacher at DGD's middle school has been arrested for child pornography! What is wrong with these people!!!!

Our phone got zapped during the big whooohaaa the other night, so it's off to Walmart to get another one today. We could hear the callers, but they couldn't hear us...DH kept saying, "Do you hear me now?" I also want to look for a battery operated craft light....one I could use in the van for traveling....want to get some applique prepared to take, too.

Sally, I'm really excited about your teen/student. So, you taught her the Frog Dance? Rip-itt Rip-itt Pictures? HA! We want a video of that one! @:) Also, really cute idea of having a block per grandchild with their initial and birth date...

Deanna, Whew....I had hoped I didn't make a huge blunder! I was so worried! Monster cookies for breakfast??? Sounds good but yep, you'll have to haul out the weights or walk longer....I used to put Butter Pecan ice cream on oatmeal for breakfast!

The Strawberry Festival starts today, but I doubt that we'll go. It's in a town about an hour south of us and with gas prices the way they are, we've cut down on unnecessary excursions.

I still have a sore throat and earache, but I plan to march into March and KOKO!

Y'all have a good day.......

• nana24
    16 years ago

I walked around noon and although it was only 68 degrees, it was hot by the time I finished. I made my 2 miles plus the side street. Tomorrow I don't plan to walk but after BOM if it is as nice as today maybe we will work in the yard. We have clover growing every where. Maybe we can get a flower bed cleaned. Some of my daylilies are starting to look like they are ready for Spring.
    Hope you all have a great weekend!
    Sally