Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannabsd

January KOKO

deannabsd
15 years ago

Good morning and a Happy New Year

Just wanted to wish everyone a good day and to hope that your year will give you the opportunity to share your adventures in our life through our quilting network.

My working out has been going good this year but have had days off to sew and find that I just don't want to break away from that. Love the sound of the machine humming.

KOKO

deanna

Comments (35)

• grammyp
    15 years ago

My eating is going well and I have been getting more sewing in because I have to stay close to MIL and my sewing room is in her apartment. We haven't been getting any bike rides in this year. It has RAINED 7 of 9 days, and everything is flooded. More storms expected tonight and COLD the end of next week. I manage to get some exercise in the house, we have weights and exercise bands, but it is not near the fun of riding my bike.

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

It was really gorgeous today so I gardened (putted) around outside for a while. My plan is to expand my garden while the grass is still dormant.
    We also have weights that I just look at when I walk by LOL, I really am going to set up a routine.
    My fam keeps passing around a nasty virus that seems to not want to leave.
    My Mom and Dad have started planning our Easter reunion (every fam get together has turned into a reunion LOL)and I am making a lap quilt to raffle off to offset the cost of the community center.
    At the rate I finish projects I had better start now LOL!!!
    Deanna and Beverly, glad everything is well for you, you are both making me look bad!!!!!!
    Sharon and Sally, bless you and yours.
    KOKO Rosa

• salijo
    15 years ago

My hat's off to all of you who are managing to make progress toward your goals!

I purchased my first house two years ago and the city just decided to re-adjust everyone's property taxes. Looks like mine jumped up about 140%....more than doubling it. Also, the bank where I have my mortgage made a mistake in estimating something when I first purchased the house and now my escrow account is close to $1000 in the hole. The good news is the city assessed the value of my property at just about double what I purchased it for (it's a fixer-upper and I bought it on auction from HUD). It's in livable condition, but I haven't been able to do much "fixin" because a few things have gone wrong that I didn't count on since I bought it, requiring me to get other loans I couldn't afford. Anyway...that's all the back story.

Currently, I'm going to get my house officially appraised and get my mortgage payment re-adjusted and hopefully be able to get some money out of the deal to pay off credit cards, and possibly get a new roof. I've been putting this off because of family illnesses/passings, the holidays, etc.

My DIL is the Asst. Manager at the bank where I got the mortgage and she just told me a few days ago that everything needs to be completed before the first of March or my mortgage payments will sky-rocket, which means the bank wants the appraisal next week.

Yikes....not only have I not finished unloading boxes (in two years, LOL), I had wanted to get a little more painting finished. But none of that is going to probably happen; because during the past 3-4 months, I've been living in a fog; and my housework, which is not great to start with, has taken a back seat.

And I really, really, really wanted to get started on the two January birthday blocks from my group. Sigh....at least the birthday ladies already know their blocks from me are going to be late. I'm really hoping to do them the week after next though.

Well, I better get off the computer now. I was just taking a break from cleaning!
    Salijo

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Today was the funeral for the recipient of my first comfort quilt. She had breast cancer and didn't respond well to treatment, but still lived a year longer than expected. It is sad to see them pass.

Salijo, I think I would ask to see how they evaluated the house. That seems like a big jump in this market. They must be trying to make up for less sales tax. We understand about the housework. Somethings just have to wait.

((hugs and prayers))
    beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Salijo, we have been in our home going on 2 years and I STILL have boxes to unpack and plenty of rooms to paint.
    We have a lot of families trying to fight the property evaulations.
    The homes are been evaluated at a much higher amount than the current market price.
    Beverly, they become as close as family and I agree is is hard. I think the comfort quilts are such a wonderful idea.
    Deanna, my goal is to get organized and set aside time for quilting. But first I have to get in there and clean up my sewing room!!!!!!!!!
    Miss you Sharon, let us know how you are.
    This is such a caring and giving forum, I love being a part of it.
    KOKO Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

An update on my life: My mom peacefully passed away last evening in a Hospice facility.

I'm physically much better and sewing every day...

Thank you, my quilting sisters, for your thoughts and prayers.

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Bless you and yours Sharon during this difficult time. I am glad you are feeling better. Yiu certainly have had a lot 'thrown' at you lately.
    I am waiting to see what themed kitchen towels you have chosen for this year.
    Rosa

• grammyp
    15 years ago

((hugs and prayers)) Be very careful traveling.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Oh Rosa, You know me tooooo well. I caught myself looking at those towels the other day but nothing struck my fancy!

Thank you Beverly.

I called dibs on the back seat of the van so I can work on applique easier or lay down when I feel like it. I also made a new pillowcase for my travel pillow....fleece! I'll let ya know how it works. @:)

Sharon

• nana24
    15 years ago

Sharon,
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Don't forget to continue to take it as easy as possible under the circumstances. We want you to continue to feel better.

Hugs,
    Sally

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

I sure wish I was close enough for a hug. You guys have been through so much this winter. I hope it all gets better for you. We're all thinking of you.
    Linda

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Keep on sending those hugs. Salijo and I can sure use them.

The Florida entourage (7 of us) plan to leave tomorrow early evening and hope to pick up Salijo in Indiana by the time she gets out of work on Thursday. The Geezerman and I will be staying with Nick and Julie (close to the MI line) and Salijo and my youngest DD will take the van on up to Battle Creek. Friday night the 6 granddaughters will get together and practice the song they'll sing at the funeral. These girls (25-48 in age) have really kept the lines and wires hot the last couple of days trying to get all their schedules co-ordinated, but they did it.

I think I'll just tell my family to wake me when we get there.

There's a picture of mom at this link.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: June Thompson

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hugs to all of your family Sharon and Salijo. What a beautiful tribute to your mother. I hope that you are prepared for the cold weather of the midwest. It is minus something today again but is supposed to warm up to the 20's which will truly be a heat wave.

Gods peace to your and your family.

Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Deanna, Thank you for the hugs.

We had dry roads and fantastic driving conditions almost all the way! For this time of year, I am amazed. It's cold, but at least it isn't storming or blizzarding. The electricity went out around 9 last night here at Nick and Julie's so around 9:30 we all decided to go to bed. I don't know what time it came back on but I'm sure glad it did! With the temp as cold as it is (-11 right now), it's nice and warm in the house.

Keep warm everyone, and KOKO......

SharonG

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Sharon, I am so glad the power came back on. That could get very bad. I received the sweetest note from Julie today, please let her know.

((hugs and prayers))
    beverly

• lindaoh_gw
    15 years ago

Sharon and Salijo, you are in my thoughts and prayers today.
    Linda OH

• salijo
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your prayers. It has been a difficult couple of months, and I'm sure we will still have some tough times. But we have been blessed with an exceptionally close family and good friends, such as all of you...and that makes all the difference.

Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Finally home.....around 2:30 this morning....I'm not dressed yet, in fact, I think I'm headed for the couch for a nap. @:)

You folks up north can keep your -40* windchills and snow blowing whiteouts. If it wasn't for my family, I think I'd join DH and not leave Florida again...at least not in the winter time. *grin*

I plan to take a day or two and then get back to quilting. I'm falling behind on my January goals....oh well, we just KOKO, don't we.....the earth won't come to an end because of it.

Thank you, dear friends, for your support and prayers through this tragic period of our lives.

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Glad you are home safely Sharon, it is cold but sunny here.
    My friend's DF passed last week. He had been in a nursing home for 3+ years and she visited him every day. It is going to be a hard transistion for her.
    My cousin's only child had been in a stormy marriage for 3 years.
    They had an argument Friday night and he killed himself. He left behind an 18 month old little boy. They had separated a few times and I wish he had stayed away. This is the same cousin that had the heart attack, but her religion and faith has helped her and she appears to be doing OK.
    We are still watching her.
    The young wife is understandably hysterical.
    So today I sorted the button box and I am planning the burp cloths to make for a shower the first week of February.
    KOKO Rosa

• salijo
    15 years ago

Rosa, I'm so sorry about your cousin's son. I've said a prayer for you and your family. It must be very hard.
    Salijo

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Rosa, I am so sorry to hear about your cousin's son. I find it very to comprehend what must go thru someone's head to make them do something like that. I will keep your cousin and family in my prayers.

Sharon, glad you are home. Get some sleep and back to the sewing.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Rosa, Sometimes it seems like it's one thing right after another. I'm sorry and am sending prayers......

Wednesday night, my cousin and DH stopped by on their travels back to Michigan, so we've been partying, playing cards, laughing, crying and catching up. They left yesterday afternoon around 3, DH and I went to stock the larder, came home, DGS stopped by and I told him to make himself a sandwich (when was a 19 yo boy not able to eat?), DH went to bed at 9pm, I went at 9:30 and slept til 8:30 this morning! So, I followed your orders, Beverly, and got some sleep! @;)

Today I want to start making turkey soup from the Christmas carcass that's been out in the freezer. DH stuffed it in there and I'm not sure I can even get it out! I might wait til he gets home and let him deal with it.

I'm hoping to sit at the machine awhile today and work on something......keeping my mind busy and doing something useful. I have some of my moms cotton dusters I'm wanting to make some bears from but, not yet.

Sharon

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, my cousin is doing much better than I expected. It is just such a waste of life, at that young age they can't see passed the moment.
    We have been keeping her busy.
    I will make her a prayer quilt, but right now I want to finish some projects.
    The bears sound like a really cute idea Sharon.
    And the soup sounds wonderful, I love soup and DH doesn't, so I make it and freeze in small portions just for me!!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone, it is warming up here and I am antsy to 'dig in the dirt' but I know more cold weather is on the way.
    KOKO Rosa

• salijo
    15 years ago

Oh mom....that's a great idea for the dusters!
    Salijo

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Sharon, bears sound like a great project for the dusters.

Rosa, I'm glad your friend is doing better. It will be a tough year.

beverly

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Sharon, this would be cute for the dusters too.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: I remember aprons.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Beverly, I don't think I've seen the apron quilt before....it's cute. The idea of the bears was to give one to my brother and sister and each of the grandkids to cuddle, so the apron quilt wouldn't work this time. She had a ton of those nylon silky muu-muu type dresses, but those would be so difficult to sew with....even if they had a backing. Anyway, I left most of them up north. I brought a few home thinking I could possibly use them for part of the bear stuffing..at least for my brother's and sister's. If there's enough, I'll make me one, too, but my sister gave me the pink star quilt I made mom for Mother's Day a couple years ago, so I have that to wrap in.

Rosa, Don't forget to post a picture of the prayer quilt when you get it finished. The turkey soup filled my largest pot...one of the ones mom used to can tomato juice. Had DD3 and her family over last night and it's way over half gone. I have frozen some and we'll eat on the rest of it today. If you lived around the corner, I'd give you some. With DGS back in town, I can make larger amounts...the only thing is, I never know when he'll stop in, but, I'm just glad he does.

It's a good thing I keep a quilting 'To-Do' list on the computer, I just had a brain freeze and couldn't think of what I wanted to do today. Guess I'll clear off the sewing table and get started on quilting the Charms on Point.

We 'finally' have some Eastern Bluebirds at the nesting box DH made and put up a couple years ago! With the sun shining on them, they are beautiful! I sure hope they stay!

Sharon

• nana24
    15 years ago

Hi all you wonderful sewing friends! Hope you are having a great morning.

Sharon, glad you are getting some rest and thinking of sewing. Bears from dusters, what a neat idea and a treasure for recepients.

Rosa, my DH would eat soup every day and in fact if he comes home for lunch that is usually what he has and that is "canned soup". Homemade is so much better.

We spent last weekend with DD & SIL helping on the house. Actually SIL ask DH to come over because he hates plumbing. So while DH did plumbing SIL and some friends were putting up sheet rock. I was moved when we arrived on Fri. evening and the drive was full of cars with people helping. They still have not settled with the insurance company but they are doing what they can. I do not know how they have lived in this upheaval for 5 months now. They have not been treated right by their insurance co. but I'm sure there are lots of others even worse off. No use going there.
    My contribution was making lunch on Saturday for some strapping boys. I made a huge pot of spaghetti. My DD said keeping my DGD occupied was a help so she could work.

She said when they get all done they are going to have a barbeque or crawfish boil or something like that to thank all the people who have so generously given of their time. It will be a celebration!

I made a butterfly quilt for my DGD and took it to her this weekend. It is a pattern from Simplicity. I did take a picture and I will post it on the gallery hopefully this evening. She loved it.

Beverly, the apron quilt is darling.

Deanna, hope you are keeping warm. Just can't imagine the type of cold you experience! We are in the 50's today. Another 10 degrees and I am ready as Rosa said to "dig in the dirt". I want to get my flower beds cleaned early this year. It makes them so much more fun.

Salijo, that fog reaches to Louisiana. You have had so much more to contend with but I know the feeling. After spending the weekend at my DD house and seeing her situation, I came home determined to work a little harder at taking things as they come but moving toward the things I can do and taking charge of my self and not letting circumstances dictate my well being! Just for today I will do the best I can and know that whatever else happens will be OK. (I think that "message" was for me! :) )

Have a great week and KOKO.
    Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Sally it is so great to know that your fam is finally getting their home repaired.
    I thought a long time ago I learned to turn everything over to a higher power, I now understand it is not that easy to do, for me anyway. But I am trying to let things go so I can help others more.
    But sometimes wallying in self pity just feels so good LOL!!!!! Looking forward to seeing the butterfly quilt.
    Beverly I love the apron quilt, I don't know how you find the time to make all of those beautiful quilts!!! I now have a yoga tape and I am trying it out!!!!
    Sharon we have everything but Bluebirds, I miss having all of the Monarch butterflies.
    Milkweed doesn't grow as well here.
    Salijo you have a very creative Mother!!!!!!!!!!
    Where is Deanna?? With our weather being 17 I can't imagine what her's is.
    Stay warm everyone!!!
    KOKO Rosa

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello from Sunny South Dakota! We are having a heat wave here of 35 and just a beautiful day and I have spent it all inside except for running some errands after work.
    BUT tomorrow I am doing the Frostbite 4 which is a walking/running event that is a fundraiser in an area town. I am only doing the 2 mile walk with 7 friends and relatives and really looking forward to it. It is expected to be 30 and race time is 11:00 so should be fun regardless of the temperature.

Not much new this way except I finished my nieces graduation quilt and my friend is coming over tomorrow to discuss a quilt that we are making for her daughters graduation. It is a lovely star that I like because the smallest piece is a 14 inch right triangle!!If I don't have to fuss with directional prints I swear I can sew it in an hour. It finished at 60 inches but we will make it longer by a bit..Of course, we have directional prints.

I am thinking of trying a disappearing 9 patch but wondered if anyone has done one with scraps???

Take care all, and be careful so that the ground hog doesn't scare you when he comes out to see his shadow!!

Deanna

• salijo
    15 years ago

He's NOT going to see his shadow this year. I forbid it!
    Salijo (in cold northern Indiana)

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Here it is, the end of the month already, how fast time flies. Don't worry Salijo, there would have to be sunshine before the groundhog even gets a shadow. I vaguely remember what it looks like. Enjoy your frostbite Deanna. I just don't think I could do anything like that in the cold. Anything below 45 is just too cold for me to be exercising in.

beverly

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Had a great Frostbite Four. There were 8 of us in our little group and the weather was 48 by the end of the race. I was so proud of my friend who is the oldest of us-she will be 58 this year and she walked faster than the rest of us at about 27 minutes. I had encouraged her to do a 5 K last August and she just about quit part way so this 2 mile was a breeze for her. She is 2 pounds away from losing 100 pounds and boy has her self-esteem blossomed. KOKO everyone. Super bowl tomorrow- Who are we cheering for??? deanna

• salijo
    15 years ago

Congratulations Deanna. That's a great accomplishment. You have every reason to be proud of your participation. Not everyone would have the stamina to do that...me included.
    Salijo

• salijo
    15 years ago

Well I'll be hog-tied and whipper-schnickled that today of all days boasts more sun than we've seen in weeks. Of course that little rodent saw his shadow....dagnabit!
    Salijo

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz