Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH! Squirrels!

Posted by littlebug5 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 22:43

Dang squirrels!!! It's my own fault - I stored some sunflower seeds for my bird feeders on my screened-in porch. I must have dropped some seeds on the floor around the covered plastic tub. The squirrels tore holes in BOTH screen doors to get in to eat the sunflower seeds. Now I've got to take the screen doors down (probably in the spring) and have them rescreened.

Unless someone has a better idea? The doors have screen all the way to the bottom. Would there be some way to change the bottom half to something the squirrels won't tear through that won't look out of place? My back porch overlooks the golf course, so lots of people see the porch and its doors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH! Squirrels!

Screen is pretty easy to replace. If you want to keep bugs out, it's either than or a solid or glass door (like a storm door).

If you want to prevent squirrels from tearing up the replacement screen, you could put lattice on the outside lower part of the door, over the screening. The lattice holes would be too small for the squirrels to get through.

o

You could also replace it with petscreen which looks basically the same but is a lot sturdier. I am not sure it's squirrel proof, but it is sturdier than regular screen. It's really not that hard to re-screen stuff either. Pet screen is a little thicker than the regular kind and made of a plastic-y material, not metal.

o

Pet screen? I didn't know there was such a thing. Where do you buy it?

o

Pet screen? I didn't know there was such a thing. Where do you buy it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here