Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreadn_gw

Trex class action settlement

andreadn
17 years ago

My decking is 3 years old and is swelling, molding and splitting on the ends of the boards. I filed a claim under the Trex class action settlement. Despite the involvment of the BBB of Washington DC and the NYS Attorney General's office, Trex has been extremely difficult to deal with. I have been battling them for about 5 months. They allege that the product was installed incorrectly and therefore not covered under the provisions of the settlement. Instead, they have offered a "good will gesture" of some replacement boards. Small claims court is not an option, as they have no offices in New York state. By the way, they get to administer the settlement claims against them in the lawsuit, not an impartial third party.

Let this be a word of warning to those considering a purchase of this product. Trex does not stand behind its warranty or its product.

Comments (21)

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Andre,,I responded on another site,its a bad deal with the T=junk boys all around, if I could help you I would.

John

• glennsfc
    17 years ago

Well...was the deck installed correctly? The Trex I used on my projects must have been the 'good stuff'...as I have never seen the problems you are describing with any of them.

• andreadn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, it was installed correctly and by a well respected local building contractor. According to Trex, it was installed incorrectly. Trex requires that the screws be fastened exactly 1" from the end of the board. Some of the screws on my deck were very slightly below that and some were very slightly above 1" (

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Guys,say the deck frame is built with 1 1/2'' material, the t=junk guys have built in the fine print with a 1'' set back, that means a person would be catching 1/2'' of the joist providing the Carpenter was able to drive all the screws straight down with a 1'' guide and the pt lumber did not deflect the screw... As If,,,,that is total BullS@%t!!!!

Fasteners should be placed in the center of the joist, extend into the framing at least 1/2 the width of the decking. This is normal Carpenter know how. Joists should be placed 12'' on center for composite decking. No you dont get this info!! some of the composite boys do tell you the 12'' on center is for Com projects, why they do this is composed from young business grads slightly looking at some specks doing a memo then drifting on over to the local watering hole, Not a bad thing if a person has done a good days work!!

This is my point,t=junk is not doing a good days work. Glenn I am intersted in your projects. How maney do you have out,how did you install the framing,what fasteners did you use and to what specks, things like that. This is the Place to figure out why there are so many trex Customers having to completly replace this material,and why there are Folks like you that have had 0 problems over the years.
    Lets Do It Right Here, Right Now.
    John

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

So mabey I dident alow enough time,that could be.

However...every time I place a question like that the posters dont have anything to back up what they say, The andreadn is not posting over here just to waste time I am thinking this a real problem going on not just a I have trex decks out with no problems thing. Lets back it up boys.

A lot of Wallets have lost a Lot of $ buying trex for a lot of years that is a given and its still going on with the T=junk folks stonewalling the way they always have.

This is a good place for it Deck guys,lets see what you got,how long its been in,what kind of trex,how you installed it and what kind of mold problems/degrading/cracking you had going on.

Geting this info is important to a lot of people. J

• andreadn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanx John.
    You're right. I posted this information to warn people about the product and to keep others from wasting their money.
    Andi

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

www.homeressources. com has a deck fourm site with several new enraged trex customers pluss a lot of years old really mad people . One is wanting to join with trex Customers to begin in a second class aciton. This guy has spent way over the $ to bleach out the mold then he ever would on keeping up the finish on a regular wood deck. J

• larry324567
    17 years ago

Chlorine Bleach or Sodium Hypochlorite (active ingredient in Chlorine Bleach) based deck cleaners that the uneducated recommend may appear to quickly remove mildew (white in color) and mold (black and other colors) fungus from Trex and other Composite Decking. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) DO NOT RECOMMEND Chlorine Bleach for Mold (Mildew is a species of Mold) remediation on porous surfaces such as Trex and other composite decking.

The reason for this is that Chlorine Bleach does not remove or kill the roots (mycelium) of the fungus, but actually waters them. A few weeks after you have cleaned a deck with chlorine bleach or sodium hypochlorite based products you will notice the mildew or other mold fungus growing back in greater numbers, especially after additional moisture comes into contact with the deck. It will make the problem worse and harder to remove the next time the composite surface becomes unsightly.

In addition, Chlorine Bleach products reek havoc on the rest of the deck structure shortening the life of the entire structure. It is highly corrosive to any metal including structural connectors or fasteners (screws) holding the deck together. It shortens the life of the pressure treated lumber supporting the deck. This could lead to liability issues for the owner of the property and any company who recommends its use.

PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE ARE ENVIRONMENTALLY DESTRUCTIVE. It is shocking that Trex and other composite manufacturers do not follow the recommendations of the EPA or OSHA and recommend one of the most TOXIC chemicals known to this earth but sell their products as ECO FRIENDLY.

They recommended "SEALERS" named in this law suite were a direct result of recommending Sodium Hypochlorite (Chlorine Bleach) based cleaners and trying to prolong the fungus from growing back. Funny thing is, they still do it???

DUM, Uneducated, DUM

• jbzspace
    17 years ago

I just pressure washed my 8 year old deck for the first time. It was covered with black, slimey mold. It looks pretty good, albeit a very mottled appearance.

I Googled Trex Mold and came up with their reccomendations for post cleaning products. Now I've discovered the class action lawsuit and comments about their solutions.

My newer, 4 year old deck has no mold so I'm wondering if Trex changed the composition of the boards.

My question. Is there any safe and effective means of keeping the mold off?

• lucy_2007
    17 years ago

I have used an Environmentally Friendly Product called Corte-Clean composite deck cleaner. I bought it after reading others recommendations on the web. I can't believe how clean it got my old Trex deck. It looks better than I thought it could and was far easier than applying numerous expensive products like the PSC Solutions. The best part was it did not have a harsh chemical chlorine smell like so many of the other products I have tried over the years including the Expert Chemical product and off the shelf cleaners from hardware stores. It appeared to be safer than all the other cleaners. I highly recommend this product because it seems to keep the mold from growing back for longer periods of time compared to other products I have cleaned my deck with.

• kmurphy663
    16 years ago

I am a contractor who has been installing decks for over 25 yrs. I have never had a problem with any company but TREX...... I installed a trex deck and in less then a year mold appeared and after 7 months of getting the run around, they declined the claim...... DONT BUY TREX!!!!!!!! They are a bunch of crooks..... visit my site and see the other products... Murphyscleanscene.com

• tripledecker
    15 years ago

Has anyone had any luck settling a claim with Trex? How did you do it? Thanks

• proracer42x
    15 years ago

We are in the middle of suing trex as we speak. I'll keep everyone posted though.
    FYI: There is a new class action law suit going on against Trex in San Francisco Ca. Here is the web site to find out more information:
    http://www.lieffcabraser.com/defects/trex-deck.htm?gclid=CMa-g87N-5MCFReenAod7n5KWQ
    Thanks,
    Steve Charles

• lawrence-w
    15 years ago

Info about the lastest Trex Law Suit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trex Class Action Lawsuit 2009

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

That is an intersting site thanks Lawrence!! there are some real Craftmen going on over there. This could be the only good thing ever involved with the forever junk trex. J.

• rchargrave_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

I am an Ohio resident who approx 3 years ago had a Portico deck installed. This Spring (2011) it warped and needs replaced. Portico denied to do so. Please provide me with info on the procedure to join a class action suit.

• btaylor5132_msn_com
    12 years ago

I have rails that are flaking and need info re: filing a claim ,and forms necessary.

• Mazaku7
    12 years ago

We had a Trex deck put on our home in March, 2007. The deck was installed by S.F. East Bay contractor, Decks Plus. The contractor has not returned phone calls nor responded to letters. Can I take them to small claims court for, as an example, using defective materials?

• john_hyatt
    12 years ago

Your Contractor is pretty much out of it.

The two of you decided on the material. All the info from trex came with it. If the product did not meet the stated info your problem is with trex.

J.

• montague8
    12 years ago

I am a pressure washer by trade and have washed a lot of decks of all kind. And my oppinion is that I wouls just stick to wood decks. The trex or any other"plastic" materials seem to warp, fade and stain. Wood decks are a little more work to maintain but wood is a lot more forgiving in giving you options to fix problems. The big sale on the newer products is that it is maintenance free. There is no such thing. That was also a big selling point on vinyl siding. They both need to be cleaned along with other matience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck Cleaning Tips

• www.thedeckbarn
    12 years ago

just pulled this from another site, I guess sacred IPE isn't as perfect as some people might lead us us to believe HEH.
    Who's gonna sue the maker of IPE.
    steve scholl
    Link:http://www.deckmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431

I've had my 1x6 ipe stickered up under a tarp in my backyard since May, and I am slowly working through the pile. Problem is I am now finding mildew spots on the boards, especially where they touched other boards. Not really surprising, it's been a ridiculously wet summer and even worse fall.

However I've searched here and other forums and nothing I do seems to make even the slightest dent in the mildew stains. Evidnetly straight bleach should dissolve it straight away - didn't touch it. Wolmans deck brightener (says removes mildew stains) - not a dent. Another commercial deck wash (also says removes mildew - smells like bleach) - nothing. Sodium percarbonate - also didn't touch it. I've tried each of these products both before sanding and after just to see if it mattered. It didn't