Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck Post Surrounded by Soil

Posted by whaas (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 11 at 21:08

Hello!

This particular deck post was originally surrounded by soil but after I put the patio down the front side is no longer surrounnded by soil. The patio is level with the footing.

Is it ok to have the soil right next to the post? For the most part the grade is pitched away from the post.

I have a well drained soil (mainly sandy) and I did put river pebbles right behind the post so it wasn't moist soil right against it. I don't know if this is better thing to do or not.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck Post Surrounded by Soil

What type of wood is this post? If it is to be in contact with soil it should at the very least be ground contact pressure treated. Other wise it will rot.

o

Is there anyway to tell by looking at it? Probably a dumb question...

I'll check with the builder and see what he says. Although he was the one that did the grading and put the soil against the post so he would likely say its fine anyhow.

o

Is the post concreted in the footing or does it sit on a post base? The concrete bumping up to the post is a problem along with the soils contact. It wouldn't be that big a project to brace up the header temporarily, cut the post, and install it on a raised post base if your builder is competent. Pressure treated, redwood, cedar are ground contact species, but still not a good idea to have them in contact, imo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here