Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferusey

maintenance free deck skirt

jenniferusey
13 years ago

Any skirting suggestions for my new deck?????...

It must be as maintenance free as possible... In an ideal world I would like smooth,matte lattice with openings no bigger than 3/4"(i have only seen the 3/4"opening in the wood lattice) and framed nicely with modestly priced 3/4"Depth x 4"Wide board that is ALSO synthetic.... Price and quality are very important... I wanna stay on that fine line.. I don't mind spending a little extra money for a product that looks much better but unfortunately having good taste costs money...lol........

Suggestions????

Comments (33)

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

re:Azek...I used it for the boxing on my porch and the expansion and contraction on it is horrendous...Eventually, I will have to apply a vertical applique of some sort to "seam" together the gapping with the azek... YES, I used 12foot runs and YES the carpenter knew there would be movement in the boards but HOLY CANOLI who'da thunk thattt much movement...
    As far as using Azek for boxing the synthetic lattice??? Even thought shorter,thinner pieces would be used to box the lattice skirting,I can just imagine the gapping at the mitered corners....PLEASE DO tell me how you avoid the gapping issue AND tell me if there is any other white board out on the market other than Azek.....
    Finally, can you give me opinions on LED lighting and whether you think it a good idea to use the circular flush mount LEDs with an up shoot-they would be drilled through the Timbertech decking(1 1/2 inch circles) and placed on the perimeter......

• anthonyxa
    13 years ago

The post might have been written with that title, I am however sure she knows these alternatives are low maintenance, and when installing correctly the corners wont open, as for cedar lattice panels off course those look great too and we have done so many of those in the past, western red cedar stained to a nice clear color you have yourself something great looking, we enjoy working with cedar too.

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Your opinion runs parallel with what you sell....mostly wood...and kits at that....complete so the guy who doesn't even know what a LEVEL is,can install them on Saturday AM.

The snide comment you made of "what does it clean itself?" came across as just that....SNIDE.

Do you REALLY think LABOR for:
    1)bleaching mold/mildew and power washing
    2) AND staining via brush/roller/or sprayer
    is 'cheap'???????
    And VOC's are soooo low in stains now,only in my dreams could I get a stain to 'look nice' on a vertical surface for four years.....

I should have used the word LOW MAINTENANCE so it wouldn't have given you the opportunity to pump your deck kits.

I KNOW SYNTHETICS MOVE...I'm looking for a solution for skirting so I have the least amount of movement possible....

Wood is beautiful...It doesn't belong on this house where I am building a deck....It's a middle class NJ town... Plastic, vinyl, and aluminum will move this house when I sell vs. wood... It is what it is.

• anthonyxa
    13 years ago

quote: Your opinion runs parallel with what you sell....mostly wood...and kits at that.

Lol @ kits

"Boxing hall Bell Rings - BING BING BING!!"

ladies and gentleman victorious in the left corner the lovely Jennifer from NJ

popcorn popcorn get your popcorn here!!! lol

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Antho I am not real sure about Barndeck. Couple of things he has a loud mouth and is lacking in the actual Business of building deck.

Good show Jen !!! There are ways to install manmade product on an outdoor project but its different than wood and the look is total different. Most of the maintance is keeping it clean.
    Go Get EM Jen!! JonMon

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I apologize for my rude post. It's just that Deckbarn rubbed me wrong... I actually went back to the deckbarn.com website and couldn't even find "lattice panels" under his search engine, so I'm not quite sure what he means by he makes his own lattice panels. Does he actually build decks??? or is he just a seller of parts to build decks??

• dooer
    13 years ago

Please don't appologise Jennifer, Mr. Deckbarn has rubbed a lot of people wrong lately.

I don't usually use plastic lattice panels, but I have used a fair amount of Azek for trim. There are ways to minimize the expansion issues. Probably the biggest one is to limit the length to as short as possible. We use a Kreg jig to screw our joints together, along with adhesive.

Good luck, Mark

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Barndeck has come on latley on a few sites with the same attitude. No telling why, mabey he has it in for the outfit he claims to be with.

Anyway he dosent have a lot to offer becides his mouth. Ouuuuuu that sounds bad. J.

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deckbarn,
    involved in both sides of Deck Industry. Supply side AND building...hmmmmm

Project:
    475sqft 2nd story deck w one flight of stairs
    Demographics:Northern New Jersey working class with neighboring houses VERY close

1)Timber Tech XLM decking(River Rock is color-neutral light grey)
    2)White RDI Novalign composite Railing using colonial caps
    3)White polyvinyl 6' panels placed on 75% of perimeter to create much needed privacy barrier... only way to create visually clean privacy on BUDGET using WHITE products w LOW maintenance ****3/4" vertical fence panels will be neatly adhered to exterior of 4x4 sleeved RDI vertical post(post height is run up 6' with ez capability to be cut down if poly vinyl fencing is removedlater) PV fencing adhered via four screw holes to RDI 4x4post.......and on exterior of Poly vinylfencing is a 3/4"depth x 4"wide vertical seam to marry fencing panels from exterior view of deck (Top and bottom rails of fencing w aluminum inserts horizontally to stiffen)-fencing can be removed if wanted and screw holes patched....from exterior of deck the 3/4" vertical strip will appear as part of the 4x4 post-nice clean and tight....YES,I know it's weird to put the fencing around the RDI railing but I refuse to drop money into a deck if I have to stare at all 476 of my NJ neighbors when I'm on the deck.
    4)Lighting: Definitely in need of opinions sparsely planted LED lighting.....please remem this is project on a TIGHT budget.....and I also don't want to get into toooo much lighting that is permanent anyway. less is more sometimes
    5)HOUSE- 1890 home..3 levels...2009 sided w vinyl Alcoa/Mastic foam backed siding- color Everest(grey w tinge of blue). House is clean w crisp whie windows,trim,and classic red french doors at entry

I am set on synthetics bc it fits the situation... I need options from people like you to make this a very clean WHITE AND GREY job...........

FYI,I'm not doing this job myself. I am paying a skilled carpenter(56and works alone for 30years) very clean work....

I am appreciative of any advice I can get.

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes....similar to the photo you posted... BTW, I did see that photo on your website... I PERSONALLY like 'tighter' privacy lattice for a skirting AND for the boxing to match the lattice...white on white....matter of preference i guess.

Needless to say though, it is a nice looking clean job!

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm already dropping btw 20 and 25....for me to spend $1000 extra to have permanently white synthetic lattice is financially and visually worth it to me...
    I am interested in knowing which specific stain you personally use that lasts 4-6 years on a vertical surface in Michigan....If you have photos even bettter....I was a 'low level' painter for a few years so IMHO staining lattice "correctly" is no small task.
    I don't personally care for the look of vinyl lattice ONLY bc it's textured and does a poor job of trying to mimic real wood with the texture...
    I would happily pay 4 or 5 times the cost of wood lattice if I could source SMOOTH texture, white synthetic privacy lattice..(i like smooth products like mdf and azek)

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

TO: anthonyxa

Post the name of your new deck staining company here; _____________________________________________________

To: John Hyatt, 2006 Ness Highliner, 124 ci, 2003 Texas Chopper, 113 ci, 2002 Bourget Low Blow Chopper, 113ci, 1997 Heritage springer EVO motor 80 ci
    you asked so don't accuse me of the dong thing as you have on other forums. No I can't ride them all at the same time but when I go out with my workers we look good going down the road.
    Setve Scholl

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PINE sucks up stain like no other....hmmm
    1)Did you use one or two coats of the Sherwin Williams Deck Escapes Stain????? Did you clear coat anything? If so, what is your clear coat used? How much do you pay per gallon for the SW Deck Escapes?
    2)Did you SPRAY or BRUSH the white balusters before install or were they stained AFTER install?
    3)your columns holding the trellis and squaring off your main deck-painted in a TAN....Is that a STAIN also??? Are they Pine columns? The mid column tiered wood that looks bumped out about 3inches-is it wood also and is it stained?
    4)your corbels-are they also stained?
    4)Do you also offer deck staining as a part of your multi faceted business? If so, how much would you charge a customer to stain ALL parts of this deck that are currently stained-if you need to clarify which parts are stained, please do......
    thanks,
    Jersey Jennifer

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Its all good. Having a stable would be intersting, Thanks for the run down. The Bourget with the oil in that good looking frame is a nice bike. Man those S&S motors run some wicked high compresion.

You just come on different Steve.Cant really blame a lot of folks reacting in kind.

Jen , it would be possible to make up the lattice pannels you want like Steve was saying. Anything from the factory is going to be thin.Azek can be worked the same as wood. Now what kind of glue to use is the question, I wonder if CA or Cyanoacrylate would work ? Anyway after milling the slats could be tacked to gether with a small pin nailer after the glue was on. CA has a spray that sets up the glue in a second or so I have used it on wood with good results exposed to the weather.

I will be in the shop today will give the ca a test on azek and just see what happens. J.

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steve,so step back and look at how it seems to others from the outside...You own a wholesale lumber company and basically carry Tamko railing,one composite board,and some flat packed metal balusters....Then you have another company that actually installs(yet you don't install yourself,you sub).....
    MY POST is asking how to tastefully skirt a job with synthetics...In order to promote how beautiful and practical wood is, you show me a deck with intricate detail and heavy balusters and a gazebo and try to rationalize that wood is the way to go...The house is a much grander example of a house then I am working with so why even show me your hand turned balusters???????????
    DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST ABOUT THE railing,decking,and vinyl fencing I was ALREADY using on my deck?????? I don't think you did.... It just gave you another opportunity to pump 'wood as the way to go.'-YES Steve,we ALL know that synthetic railing and decking is friggin expensive and the deck builders out there get frustrated bc it dips into the deck budget with less money available for profit. That's a no brainer.
    Your comment about 'I don't get into staining' says it all...yet you won't back off your claim that 'staining is quite affordable.' -SW DECKSCAPES costs $32 a gallon....
    If you were a deck guy(working labor) in the field every day you would know the railings and the decking I'm using on the job(RDI Novaline and TT XLM Riverrock) and be able to recommend a suitable skirting material for the level house I'm dealing with...
    The house you are showing me is yours. It's a showboat house on a lake and I'm assuming you did several other decks around that lake that were well OVER 50K.....
    I refuse to own and maintain a house on the exterior in a cold state like NJ...I WANT LOW MAINTENANCE and yes I don't mind paying more for product.....I pay for skilled labor and pay him well.. He charges me the same in labor to install wood,composite,pvc,or pv...again, it's a no brainer for me as to whether or not to invest in synthetics.
    It's an insult that you won't acknowledge you have probably never even painted lattice yourself and I know daggone well how some guys pick up laborers and pay them $8 an hour to work and do jobs like staining....At $32 a gallon for SW Deckscapes Stain I'm still trying to figure out how many gallons at $32 bit into that $2200 total cost of staining your whites and tans on the deck.... THAT is a beautiful deck you have but OMG a heck of a lot of trim....To run STRAIGHT lines with a brush on railing and trim like you have is a HUGE amount of work and you have to have a 'good hand' or it looks sloppy when finished.
    My gut feeling tells me that you don't promote or carry composites in decking and railing bc the profit margin isn't high enough...I can DEFINITELY feel you on that,but you must also realize that most people will regret buying wood bc they either have to stain it theirself OR find someone who can stain without dripping and has a smooth hand YET is affordable.. DUH! aint no easy task my dear
    So, it puts deck builders in a hard place..Customers will have to pay more for a deck that is easier to maintain and the deck builder will not be able to make as much profit bc he has to PAY MORE for the higher priced railing and decking.... It's a bummer...I know....But when someone like you comes in and can offer a 'grand' looking deck at a lower cost you will get a heck of a lot of customers jumping on your wood railing bc let's be frank Steve, customers aren't that smart....
    You insult the other men who are deck guys(and YES i scanned your interactions w them on Contractortalk.com)by pumping decks to be built your way!!!!WOOD,WOOD,WOOD,WOOD...and you offer one composite bc you MUST be getting a super deal on the boards bc they lack proper distribution in the market. If you are subbing out that many decks a week(5-10) it's probably been a LONG time since you've been super hungry for work.....You come across as pompous when you should be grateful and a bit more humble that you doooo have work.... ALSO, you ethically should be honest with yourself AND your customers over why you really promote wood???? Is it bc you can give a puffy,grand looking deck for a lower cost than if you used synthetics to create that???? I'd love to see some homeowner in Michigan staining a puffy deck like the one on your house and complaining about how they wished the had bought more modest SYNTHETIC railings....
    Btw, I'd love to see pics of someone staining the top part of that gazebo....
    LOL
    Steve, I'm sure you are more likeable in person. I bet you are a lot of fun... BUT, you must become more humble.. A guy who does 'labor' his entire life knows there are multiple ways to do something....

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What do you guys think of
    Ripping TT XLM 12"Wide Fascia or possible the 5 1/4"Wide deckboards and using it for a vertical skirting?

Cost per square foot is only slightly more than boxing synthetic privacy lattice with Azek.

Skirting height needed to be covered vertically ranges from 70"Height minimum to 76H"maximum.....If I use 12"W fascia it comes only in 12' runs yet the 5 1/4"decking comes in 16'L....

I have seen photos using composite as skirting but none used for a SECOND STORY deck.. I wonder if it will visually be too 'leggy'?????

opinions appreciated...

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

In my most humble of opinions 6' woth of lattice around the perimeter of a deck is a bit much and the side view of all that lattice will overpowr the overall aestics of the deck.
    steve scholl
    Mr Spam
    Mr Pompous
    Believe me I am grateful for all the work that I do. Every Sunday when I go church I thank the Good Lord for all he has given me.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

JonMon totaly yucking it up !! there aient no hope for you killer.

Jen , the tightbond ca seems to work well bonding azek together. I used the 3/4'' material with the spray activator or accelerator on one side glue on the other. I had stagered the blocks. In a clamp after what I thought was enough presure the joint held together.Pretty sure I could have broken the bond with more preasure but what would be the point.

Azek moves with the weather that might be different stress than straight on clamp preasure but I think its worth a test on your projects material.

They use this adhesive on model remote controled aircraft the stress on those is major.

The lay out/application would have to be right on, even with out the spray first contact is the last contact.

J.

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

10 gallons @ $28.00 ea. is $280.00 for the job. Took 1 week $2200-$280.00=$1920 Yup way underpaid poor poor painter. 2nd time 5 gallons @ 28.00= $140 $900-$140= $760 poor painter. However it was my house and he gave me a deal, when he was done i told him to paint the rest of the house. Now I refer him night and day and have for the last 5 years. He stays busy. Poor painter. Don't ask him for finders fees just give him the work. Poor painter.
    I can only wish and hope that someday, somehow, someone will come along and freely give away as much work as I have to painters and other carpenters who do work that I don't really want to do. You can bet on that day i will be in Church giving thanks to The Good Lord.
    Steve Scholl

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Steve,stand down. Thats enough

I have tried to reach common ground,compromise, agree with some things.

Thats enough. If you want to fight go over to Contractor Talk. J.

• anthonyxa
    13 years ago

@ Deck Barn - Ill let you know the name of my staining company as you so eloquently put it

AFTER I OPEN UP MY DECKBARN FRANCHISE HERE IN NEW YORK I hear stock is selling cheap lol
    (you asked buddy)

btw why dont you change the name on your internet provider i been seeing traffic from your location at Dearborn Heights lately or your going to tell me im wrong

________
    For the rest of the members - I don't know about you guys but all this talk about prices and whats in stock and whats not in stock at deckbarns store or hearing him go at it about all he has done is boring the hell out of me, I thought this post was about helping lovely Jenny and Deck barn pal if you happen to be doing well in your store then thats cool im glad for you I do mean it just relax and tone it down with what sounds like a sales pitch, its good to feel proud about oneself but at times it may seem as if you are bursting out all your credentials like popcorn in a microwave, and that is exceedingly unnecessary remember this - the only person you have to prove anything is to yourself - geez and I thought us NY were arrogant lol

leave the sales pitch behind the counter pal, and thanks for those notes you have mailed us in the past off course ive heard the name of your store around now I know why though lol

lets get back to what the forum is all about (in good fun)
    shall we.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

x2 John

• anthonyxa
    13 years ago

lmao how about I reply to you that there is a difference between good ol humor and hot doggin, in the end its all fine entertainment isn't it, you so happen to be providing some fine work best at that.

attacks wow like dniro would say with that smirk "me never, never" - lol you got a problem buddy whether you experience building or not that's your own problem at the end of the day so don't rant to me about other fellow members bashing your barn pal lol

I was blessing your business a while ago - do you go to church with that mouth BOY!! jk

just tone it down and relax live a little have fun, if you weren't all caught on yourself posting in the manner that you did even though it may have simply been a misunderstanding and you really want to help out, and its evident that you are knowledgeable here and there just remember we stop learning only till the day we die

so leave that paranoid everybody is attacking me attitude and jump on the humor bandwagon like I said I could care less if you experience building or not if you ever hammered a nail in your life your the one with the store aren't you so just hush up and keep selling, mind you I still wish you store well just tone it down and enjoy the forum

just realize other homeowners might take things the wrong way and this is all a suggestion off course im not here to tell you how to act that's your business also, im here to provide a positive vibe not let down other folks by bashing products that they might be thinking of using, we have to encourage the folks that want to take on their home projects, and we all learn by failing choosing wrong products etc.. its a fact of life

• deckman22
    13 years ago

Jen, I have done verticle composite skirting before. The deck boards were ripped in half & spaced apart the same width as the boards. Was not a real fan of the look, but it was low maintenance & pretty solid. However both times I've done this the decks were no more than 3' above grade.

Most folks don't like the worn out look of lattice so now I go with horizonal skirting, mainly 1x4's in RSC. It's low cost, easy to install & easy to stain if you so desire. For less maintenance paint instead of using stain.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Jen, this is Privacy Lattice right?

We have installed high lattice ,6' or so
    done in a number of ways and have goten away from the overpowering look that maney squares has.

Placing a different pattern in the middle or the sides will do it, making a window with shutters has worked.

Latley I have been using art glass fastened in the middle this has worked out really well. It dosent have to be leaded glass a 12'' circle cut out of blood red stained glass looked super on one of my jobs this summer. In other words get creative and it wont look like a bunch of sticks put together. It will stand out but really whatever you put up there is going to be a big part of first impresion.

Its seems possible to use azek for this.

A person could also use wood sanded well.After all the work is done on the pannels We stack them up on top of each other. Using a spray rig,oil base finish,and a couple of helpers, the primer goes on we we back brush frount and back and heat up the primer for a fast set up. Stacking lets all the over spray go the the ones below. Then we sand again to get all the rough spots out.

Finish coats go on with all the pannels hanging,same airless rig, but we dont heat up the product, after three coats of finish they are ready for install. If you wanted to go wood this is a good way to do it. Although the color has faded a little and the look is not as brilant I have them out 9 years with no real need of refinish.

J.

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deckbarn,
    1)There is no way ONE 'painter' stained ALL the WHITE and ALL the TAN on that deck w two coats(one done before install) in one week.. NOT with a brush...Were you there? Do you see brush marks? I'm calling BS on that....and as I said before, I painted for quite a few years and yes sir I was the 'trim &detail girl' so whether your hand is good or not.... whether you are a fast OR slow brusher- didn't no ONE MAN done do ALL that trim in one week....
    PERIOD......
    2)Please post CLOSE UPS of your deck so I can see the seams and how all deck components marry together...neatly?? Gapping?? Any big messy caulk beads? Pine is soft and wet......so ummmm... I'd love CLOSE UP PICS Mr. Puffy. And would love to see your RED Trex decking,top rail,etc. up close so I can see if it's blotchy like it looks in the pics...and I want to see the red Trex top rail and what I assume is face screwed decking.. just to see how what the overall look is.UP CLOSE
    3)yeah Deckbarn, i know painters use ladders...I don't know any PAINTER that would want to work on the top of your gazebo. It's an awkward reach.... and on a crazy pitch.
    3)My deck cost is $20,000..(thevinyl fence surround on the second floor will put it over $20,000.The RDI Novalign PVC railing is a HUGGGE part of the cost.... I don't want your wood railings.I'm sure you could do my deck for $15,000, but NOT with the material I want to use and YOU ain't doing it anyway.. You would give the job to whoever is the hungriest for work.... PERIOD
    4)brace yourself for this Puffy... I live five miles outside Manhattan...People who do 'labor' here get paid more bc it costs more to live here...Are you 30 miles out of Detroit???? Go closer toward the city and it's different.....My house is 120 years old...I am essentially the 'contractor' for all renovations...I research materials before a project starts and then get recommendations from each guy within his specialty. I oversee a master electrician,plumber,and a carpenter.(all three have minimum 30 years experience) I'm sure I could find a guy who only does decks,but it's NJ and what some people call 'straight and finished' is not what I call 's and f'... My carpenter building the deck is highly skilled and you know what??? Money isn't everything... I would rather blow an extra $4000 to be able to sleep at night and know I can make modifications or change materials as we go along....... It's worth it to me... THERE IS NOTHING on my house that is plumb,straight,cookie cutter....I don't want to stain friggin ANYTHING anymore.... I don't want to paint ANYTHING anymore....
    PRETEND I'm your customer. You aren't even listening to me.. You are still stuck on promoting a deck the way that is the most profit for you... I know it sux that synthetic railings dip into your profit.....That's life.. But my dear, synthetics are the future on decks.... You should embrace it instead of promoting your BOTTOM line number on building a deck...Someone always pays...and your middle class customer w 3 kids and both working doesn't want to stain or Good Golly have to find someone to stain it in 4 years.....staining railings is a pain in the bum.. YOU know it.. admit it...
    Have you ever looked at a roof when they smacked it on with a large crew??? The more hands that drop shingles the worse it looks.. I like one hand on my projects... Just a matter of preference....

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

I tried to get the we we out but even with the preview it stayed in. Kinda funny looking.

The killer Barndeck can not be reasoned with. Over on the pro deck mag site I found that out. He does not care how his posts,that never go away, will seem to a Potential Customer has no regard for fellow deckbuilders and has very little respect from them.

Unseen I kinda like the guy. It takes a lot of smarts and down right bulling to survive in the depresed area his business in located. And he has turned geting a lot of jobs,like I can do, and turning it in to a Business, like I did not. It's a matter of choice. I have been in the trades all my life what I was looking for and have now is total different than the Killer's outlook and what He has built up.

However Respect is different. I got it beat into me in the Milatry but after a few years out I learned and used that info for the rest of my life. Respect is earned. Has nothing to do with money or power.

Looking at it from around the corner,like I always try to do, You cant spend Respect.

Intersting Person. J.

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steve,
    Like John said, you actually seem like an OK guy...I bet you are much cooler in person....it's the internet...RELAXXX

I'm gonna end my side of this conversation bc you haven't really offered any visually clean synthetic skirting options for my new deck...
    You paid $90 a sq ft to build your home....Good for you....

I am dealing with a pre existing 120 year old home and I have to make the deck blend in and look 'clean' without a lot of maintenance....
    I should have been the better person and ignored your initial snide comment..... remember the one???? where you jabbed at the dumb homeowner(me) for asking for maintenance free suggestions??? It's not that I don't know a little bit about it all...I was just looking for new mid level boards and sheets that guys immersed in the industry might be using...
    Btw, I don't go to church...Not my thing...I ain't that smart,but I proudly pass on the little knowledge I have...That's my way of giving
    Relax my dear... Life is short...
    I was just bustin your chops..
    Besides, I'm just a cranky New Jersey housewife with very low intelligence
    and yes, your house does look lovely.. I'll show you pics of my plastic deck when i'm finished.. I doooo wish I had a bigger budget.. Can't have it all though

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anthony-thanks for being positive...
    Deckman22-thanks for your opinion on the height of ripped deck boards..I also think my skirting height is too high for this as an option
    John-Hyatt-thanks for the testing of materials and the lattice suggestions.........
    I absorb and value ALL of THIS.........

• anthonyxa
    13 years ago

Thank you Jen for your comment and that charming personality of yours, you keep us updated with pictures and everything all the step of the way, we shall be cheering for you, and remember just across that bridge you got a friend ova here :-)

and remember to tell your guy over there lol again I would have been working on the finishing touches already lol hahaha my guys know I like to joke around with them like that so im sure your guy will understand where the good humor is coming from, positive about that hehe - its an inside joke between us builders

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

Goung to church is a good thing, there is no other place to receive food for the soul, and with out one will surely die.

• jenniferusey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deckbarn,
    I'm gonna die one day, with or without church...TY for your thoughts.
    Deckman,
    Please elaborate on your post suggesting 1x4 RSC on a horizontal....I assume RSC means recycled structural composite????
    Onlline I have seen Versatex panels for ceilings.. Hmmm, Versatex 4x8 panels framed with azek 1x4's?? I haven't seen the Versatex in person so I don't know what it looks like.... Isn't there ANY synthetic white panel that comes in 4x8 sheets that will give my skirting a clean,uniform yet almost plain look??

• TrillyB
    13 years ago

Hi Jennifer,

When I installed my deck, the company coated all my trim with the same polymer coating that's on the deck itself. It's not paint, so it's absolutely as maintenance-free as you can get. It won't fade, and the wood won't split or crack. My deck's been in for two years, and it looks like it was installed yesterday, even as it goes through its third winter.

The company is called GemThane, and the decking is dex-n-dox. The coating is called Cottage Coat, and I think you can buy it separate from any deck order, though as I say they just did mine during installation.

It's amazing; I highly recommend it.