Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

replacing deck railing

We have a deck that needs resurfacing and I am also intrigued with the idea of a railing that is less obtrusive than our current wood. I am thinking of metal which would sort of disappear into the landscape, but I have also seen some with what I suppose is plexiglass between a top and bottom rail. Love the idea of an unobstructed view, but I wonder if birds would fly into it as with a window. Also wonder how difficult it would be to keep clean since a dirty 'window' would defeat my purpose. We have a ranch style house, but it is two levels (walkout basement, main level has deck)and we have windows all across the back of the main level looking out to the trees in our yard and the woods beyond. I would so love to get rid of the ugly railing we have now. Any thoughts on the best way to do that?

Thanks for reading this far!

Comments (4)

• zver11
    12 years ago

Regarding glass panels, bird strikes are definitely an issue. Birds will attempt to fly through anything transparent. How bad this is depends on your location. At a high elevation with hawks in the area, it is a big deal for me (they are noisy when they hit as well as leaving a large carcass ;) As far as cleaning, it should be no worse than outside windows in your area(and easier to get to if it needs cleaning). If people are touching glass, may need to hose down now and then, but this should not be bad, especially compared to wood railing which needs refinishing--not often, but heavy work when needed.

If you already have a lot of windows in the back, you can probably judge how much an issue this is by bird strikes on the house. (Doesn't count if curtains or can not see daylight one window through house to next)

Alternatives include cable railing and metal railings(iron or aluminum) which allows thinner balusters than wood.

Cable railing is simple to install and very low maintenance, but not allowed by building codes in some areas. Since you have 1 story elevation, cable railings can pose a risk to kids who may climb cables as a ladder and fall over the other side.

I prefer Aluminum railing since there is no rust issues. Make sure to use deck railing and not porch railing. Given the height, railing must meet deck codes which specify minimum strength and limit the spacing gaps between railing. Also keep in mind that any railing needs to withstand a significant force on the top pushing out and acting as a lever on the base of posts. The base must be strongly anchored into a surface. Just screwing into deck boards or a rim joist is not adequate.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks zver! We do have hawks around here, but not many. I notice them more during spring and fall migration. We always have a Cooper's Hawk or two hanging around. Still, I would hate to have one killed because of my railing, so I will ditch the idea of clear panels.

I do love the look of cable railing and will also check out the aluminum. Not sure what code is here, but I will look into it.

You gave me great information. Thanks again!

• User
    12 years ago

Cable railing is great--- and lends a very updated look to a ranch home. Like you, I wonder how long glass or plexiglas panels would stay clean. They look best in seaside homes where they also function as a windbreak, IMO. Please post photos if you go ahead width this project! We recently changed out the handrails on our existing decks and stairs to match the rail on a new deck. It's amazing how much of a difference it made.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We won't be doing anything right away, kswl. I am hoping to get my husband to do something about it this spring/summer, but we'll see. I think his philosophy is wait until whatever it is falls down/falls apart/rots completely. :(

I will come back with pics, though, once we do it!